Got my dream gun today! One of the best days of my life. (M1 Garand)

Hello folks :)

Today was a day I thought may never come. A day I have dreamed of since I ever first got fascinated with fire arms as a young kid. And that's the day I'd be the proud owner of a M1 Garand. The very gun the greatest generation to ever live dragged through the mud winning our independance from the Nazi's and axis powers. The brave heroes who's sacrafice is unparralelled. The very gun the brave heroes fought against communism in the korean war and even vietnam. A staple in the very fabric of America. A stitch in the stars and stripes.

"The greatest battle impliment ever divised" - General Patton

The one the only M1 Garand. The words I muster can't ever do it justice. But it needs no introduction. And as someone who loves WW2 and Korean War History. It almost brings a tear to my eye to hold one. To look down the iron sights. And to hear the ping. It's honestly a special moment for me. And I really wanted to share.

44031261724_c8cbd2b62a.jpg

30879082958_1f06097df6.jpg

43840701805_a519252e35.jpg

43840698795_560895ab62.jpg

I have dated the receiver at 1952 and the Barrel is dated as September 1951. So this is a Korean War M1 Garand. I am going to attempt to figure out the year of the slide. And see if it correlates with 1951-1952.

The stock has a P cartoush on it's stock. I've heard it means it was maintainanced at a earlier date but i'm not sure.

The stock is in stunning condition, no major gouges or scuffs. Same with the reciever and slide. It's truly a great specimen. :).

I bought 40 rounds of remington 30-06 but I will not fire it through because i've heard you need to buy specific M1 Garand ammo from federal or load your own or you can bend the rod and ruin the gun.

What's everyone's dream gun? Weather you own it or are seeking it?

2 questions I have for you folks and M1 experts are.

1. Do you use Raw Lindseed oil on your stock? I heard this is what was reccomended in the field manual by the Military and what most people use on vintage fire arms and especially the Garand.

2. My Barrel is dated 1951, the serial number on the reciever correlates to 1952. How can I determine weather those two parts are original matching? I think it'd be neat to find when each part was made and try to find the lineage of it.

Congrats! [cheers] Great looking M1!

What Remington ammo did you buy??? I don't recall Remington offering much in the way of M1 ammo. Probably you have typical hunting ammo? It is likely bad for your M1- much of the bolt gun hunting ammo is too hot for the M1. Too much pressure and powder pushing a projectile that's too heavy.

Look for M2 Ball type ammo. You want something pushing ~150 grain to ~175 grain bullets at ~2700 fps for the lighter bullets and ~2600 for the heavier ones. Check out the CMP forum or possibly here for a more comprehensive list of M1 safe ammo. A few producers are making M2 Ball, such as Sellier and Bellot or PPU Prvi Partizan.

Have some fun and get acquainted with your M1, then check the Milsurp Forum here on NES for some CMP matches. You can attend a clinic / match and really learn how to shoot that thing.

[rockon]

RLO, or BLO is fine. The stock has a nice patina to it and I don't expect any oil you apply to change anything. If you were stripping the stock down and re-finishing it, I would suggest RLO. RLO will oxidize over time and darken up nicely. BLO will not.

What Remington ammo did you buy??? I don't recall Remington offering much in the way of M1 ammo. Probably you have typical hunting ammo? It is likely bad for your M1- much of the bolt gun hunting ammo is too hot for the M1. Too much pressure and powder pushing a projectile that's too heavy.

Look for M2 Ball type ammo. You want something pushing ~150 grain to ~175 grain bullets at ~2700 fps for the lighter bullets and ~2600 for the heavier ones. Check out the CMP forum or possibly here for a more comprehensive list of M1 safe ammo. A few producers are making M2 Ball, such as Sellier and Bellot or PPU Prvi Partizan.

Have some fun and get acquainted with your M1, then check the Milsurp Forum here on NES for some CMP matches. You can attend a clinic / match and really learn how to shoot that thing.

[rockon]

Correct. Be careful with any commercial 30.06--overpressure can bend op rod, damage receiver, etc.

Either buy m2 ball as noted above or get an adjustable gas plug that will allow you to safely shoot commercial ammo.

Congrats and watch out--garands tend to multiply

Hello folks :)

Today was a day I thought may never come. A day I have dreamed of since I ever first got fascinated with fire arms as a young kid. And that's the day I'd be the proud owner of a M1 Garand. The very gun the greatest generation to ever live dragged through the mud winning our independance from the Nazi's and axis powers. The brave heroes who's sacrafice is unparralelled. The very gun the brave heroes fought against communism in the korean war and even vietnam. A staple in the very fabric of America. A stitch in the stars and stripes.

"The greatest battle impliment ever divised" - General Patton

The one the only M1 Garand. The words I muster can't ever do it justice. But it needs no introduction. And as someone who loves WW2 and Korean War History. It almost brings a tear to my eye to hold one. To look down the iron sights. And to hear the ping. It's honestly a special moment for me. And I really wanted to share.

44031261724_c8cbd2b62a.jpg

30879082958_1f06097df6.jpg

43840701805_a519252e35.jpg

43840698795_560895ab62.jpg

I have dated the receiver at 1952 and the Barrel is dated as September 1951. So this is a Korean War M1 Garand. I am going to attempt to figure out the year of the slide. And see if it correlates with 1951-1952.

The stock has a P cartoush on it's stock. I've heard it means it was maintainanced at a earlier date but i'm not sure.

The stock is in stunning condition, no major gouges or scuffs. Same with the reciever and slide. It's truly a great specimen. :).

I bought 40 rounds of remington 30-06 but I will not fire it through because i've heard you need to buy specific M1 Garand ammo from federal or load your own or you can bend the rod and ruin the gun.

What's everyone's dream gun? Weather you own it or are seeking it?
where are you located. i have some assorted HXP 20ish rounds i could donate to your first outing. Then just come to OCSA oct 14th they have ammo
ONLY 2 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT Oct 14 M1 Garand Clinic and Vintage Match

now your stock has been refinished and sanded ....looks nice i like the color.

On the rear receiver behind sight what is stamped there?
As far as what oil was used on the stocks. 1950s was more than likely BLO or Tung Oil.
the 1965 weapons command over haul manual for garsnds states for wood finish and preservatio n
specs MIL-F-13088 and or TT-L-215
China wood oil (tung) or raw linseed oil.

Last edited:
First off, very nice looking Garand! It doesn't need any oil on the stock, its fine as is. Leave it alone.

Second, look for Garand safe ammo by Federal or PPU or surplus HXP or Lake City M2 ball.

The square proof P with no serifs in a box indicates the rifle that was in that stock was overhauled at the Red River arsenal. That doesn't mean the rifle you have now was the one that was overhauled though since the stock may not be original to the rifle.

[rockon]

Congrats, it is one awesome rifle.
Correct. Be careful with any commercial 30.06--overpressure can bend op rod, damage receiver, etc.

Either buy m2 ball as noted above or get an adjustable gas plug that will allow you to safely shoot commercial ammo.

Congrats and watch out--garands tend to multiply

Thanks for all helpful advice and congratulations messages everyone. :) Today is a day I will truly never forget. It's such an honor to have such an iconic piece of American history.

I wanted to touch base with everyone on some tid bits I have discovered as I have done my research about her as well. I have uncovered some interesting things that I didn't notice at first look and wanted to see what everyone thinks of these findings.

1st thing I have done is I have dated the serial numbers on the slide, the receiver and the barrel's date. All of which correlate to 1952. The sight also is post WW2, and the sling strap is dated as 1952 as well.

The second thing I wanted to share is really interesting. When I was looking the Rifle over I found that the sling strap seems to have an insignia on it. I can't make out quite what it says. I have deciphered it as (Tournikurns "Agger" ) but I have no idea what that means or if it might be a Korean word. I wanted to ask to see if anyone recognizes it as familiar although unlikely. I'm starting to think the "agger" might be a GI's nickname. I'm not sure. Idk if anyone can decipher it?

30885185928_2881126c69.jpg

44755257181_e56249b9df.jpg

44755251961_699d5af27e.jpg

The more I look the more stories she tells.

Thanks for all the kind words and helpful information everyone.

Welcome to the M1 world. I have 12 of them, and I am one of the last who shows up to service rifle matches with a Garand! I have always used boiled linseed oil. But my sources tell me tung oil is a better way to go. Some good points were made above in this post. Watch out what ammo you use. I reload all of my match ammo, never use anything heavier than 173-175 grain bullets. I have had real good results with Lapua 170 grain FMJ with IMR-4895. There is also a narrow range of powder when reloading so as not to over pressure the system and bend the operating rod. A good place to start, is some of the commercial ammo made for the M1. Another good thing to have is a plastic timing block, you can get these from Brownells last I checked ( get the plastic one not the steel). I would bet that there are more M1 rifles in your future.

Yes, my guess is, it is a Greek Name. Some of the writing uses Greek letters. There is another member on here who is from Greece and could do a better job of translating.

Back
Top Bottom