• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my C&R, copy questions

Well, I think I set the record. I thought my C&R went out a while back but some mailing errors happened and it didn't so I had to resend. After resending it I got it back yesterday, about 2.5 weeks in all from correct mailing, WOW!

Now that I have it I know that I need to make copies before I sign it but this brings up a few questions.

• 1 Do the copy's have to be color?
  • 2When I do Sign and send one, does it have to be notarized? There is a little note on the bottom saying 'DO NOT SIGN THE ORIGINAL LICENSE prior to making copies, as the signature on each certified copy must be original'.
  • 3Thanks

1. No. But I do find that the copies come out a lot better if I scan the original and print them vs. copy the original (I'm using the same MFC machine to do either way).
2. No
4. You're welcome. Welcome to the poorhouse! [laugh]

Make sure that you skim thru the books/CD for the rules you need to follow and get yourself (or create) a bound book for record keeping (required by law).

Thanks LenS

I'm waiting on my bound book. It says on the back of the license that it takes up to 10 day for the material to arrive. All I got was the license to far.

Oh, I forgot this question before. When I send a copy of it signed, can it be sent faxed, scaned & e-mailed or do they need it snail mailed? In addition, do I need to include the reverse side?

Do I sign the original or keep that in safe...safe?

Thanks for the info and the help.

P.S. Do you have a link to the thread of dealer discounts? You know, the one that said who to send copies of my C&R to for $ off like brownells, midway etc? The search feature doesn't seem to list results by relativity and I only find what I search for 10% of the time (long story short I couldn't find it).

That should be it for questions, thanks again. This is why NES is the best!
Cmaro

Last edited:
Wow congrats!! That is fast! My debit card was dinged the $30.00 on June 9th, I am still waiting...

Oh, I forgot this question before. When I send a copy of it signed, can it be sent faxed, scaned & e-mailed or do they need it snail mailed? In addition, do I need to include the reverse side?

It depends on the vendor, most take faxes, some emails, all take snail mail. I hve yet to hear they need the backside.

Do I sign the original or keep that in safe...safe?.

DON"T SIGN THE ORIGINAL!!!
leave it blank, make many copies, and then put the UNSIGNED original in a safe or other safe place.

Last edited:
BATFE does NOT send us a Bound Book. You need to buy or create it yourself.

You never sign the original. Put it in the safe.

FFLs only need a copy of the front of the FFL. Most will accept via Fax, some by Scan/Email and a few insist on USMail only.

I'm not sure that we put a list on the forum. If the AG ever read it (and they do read NES), those sources will be threatened and refuse to ship to MA. e.g. Midway and Brownells restrict what they will sell into MA.

Thanks to both of you guys. I made copy's physical and digital and I'm not signing the original, I'm keeping it in the safe.. safe...

I have a suggestion to those who like to keep copy's or off premise backup / copies, start a gmail account. It is 100% free and you can set a strong password that is as good as the lock on your safe. Once you have your gmail account you can upload any doc to it using google docs and save it there in digital format. This way, heaven forbid, your safe ever gets stolen, house burns down, whatever, if you have an internet connection you can get and print a digital copy.

It's basically a free database to store stuff. I started using this for my home insurance to keep a copy of my itemized spread sheet. I then used the free picture storage to keep the photos of the serial #'s and equipment functioning that needs to be proven. I figured that if my placed burned down, the last thing I wanted to do was itemize a list for the insurance company, I'd have bigger issues to deal with... I didn't know where to store my stuff off premise without getting a lock box or paying and with a lock box, if you store on CD, Disk etc you get data rot.

You guys helped me out an answered my questions so the least I can do I return a helpful tip, at least to those that don't fear the internet ;)

Thanks again LenS and Ziptar.

Zip or LenS, please remove that link to the source. Sorry, I asked because I didn't think the AG could touch an ATF issue like C&R discounts but I understand the caution.

Glad to help.

Many C&R companies have been scared/threatened by the AG and no longer ship anything (or certain perfectly legal items) to MA.

Also, I looked at that list from 2005 and find a few that are out of business/owner died/name changed/etc. I'll admit to never having vetted those on any list in recent years. A copy of GunList and Shotgun News are your best bets to create a starting point . . . then go to each company of interest's website and see what rules they have against shipping to MA, etc.

When I first got my C&R FFL in 1999, I think I sent it to ~40 companies. Last 2 renewals, I trimmed it down to something like 12-15 at most (and I think 1 or 2 bounced as invalid addresses).

brownells and midway offer a decent discount to C&R holders, allthough they do not send anything that is restricted to mass

When I hand out or mail or fax my C&R after signing it I write across it in a sharpie:
"File copy for XYZ Gun store" or whoever. Just added protection that should it fall into the wrong hands that someone can not try to use it elsewhere.

When I hand out or mail or fax my C&R after signing it I write across it in a sharpie:
"File copy for XYZ Gun store" or whoever. Just added protection that should it fall into the wrong hands that someone can not try to use it elsewhere.

Excellent point. I do the same thing.

WOW

"... After resending it I got it back yesterday, about 2.5 weeks in all from correct mailing, WOW!"

WOW is Right and WTF!! - they nicked me for the $30 in Feb 2009 and im still waiting - i called once and they said they had my info and all .... im calling again Monday!!! (and, yes i have no criminal record of any kind) [angry]

Correction, 2 weeks. I posted it the 10th and got it 25th, that 15 days (not business days). I was surprised when I opened the letter because it came back so fast. I thought it was a denial of some sort because there were no books, no letters no nothing, just the C&R. They withdrew the cash about 5 days after mailing it out the second time (there was some confusion with the mail my first attempt and I had to repackage and send it off again) and then I got it about 2 weeks later. I don't know how to explain it other than possibly some other dealings that I have going on with the feds for work right now. Maybe somehow I'm on their list (not a bad one) because I've been flying through paperwork and getting different things elevated with them for the past month. I'm not sure but either way I'm happy about it.

I'm still waiting on the law books and gun lists that are to accompany the C&R in the next few days but I did hit up Midway and Brownells for my discount, thanks for the direction ;). I doubt Cabellas does a discount but has anyone asked?

Thanks for the tip about the sharpie, I'll do that in the future.

The bound book, do I need one now or as soon as I make my first purchase using the C&R. I know the feds at anytime can request to see my book but I haven't utilized my C&R yet and I don't even have the law books to know exactly what I can and can't do legally. Do you recommend a book from anywhere or just any old notebook?

Thanks for all the valuable feedback,
Cmaro

Back
Top Bottom