Good steak in Western Mass

Looking for a decent casual restaurant in Western Mass to get good steak. Got a birthday coming up so me and a couple of guys from work are looking to go out for dinner and drinks. Any suggestions? Casual is key though we ain't the jacket and tie type.

Johnnys Tavern in Amherst or in South Hadley. If you go to S Hadley drop into the tap room for a drink after/before.

First, I don't know of any place in the area that requires a coat and tie. Even at semi-fancy places like Chandler's, The Deerfield Inn, and the Whately Inn I see folks in blue jeans. As Skeeter said, it all depends on how far you want to drive. Staying in Greenfield, Taylor's Tavern http://www.taylorstavernandrestaurant.com/html/menu.html has some steak (though I admit I've never tried it). If you want real casual and ok food, you've got 99's and Appelbee's. If you want a drive, Delaney's Grill in Holyoke http://logcabin-delaney.com/dining/delaney’s-grill has probably the best steak around (a bit pricey, though). The fancier places I mentioned above also have good steak. Northampton is full of good restaurants of every sort an right off 91 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g41742-Northampton_Hampshire_County_Massachusetts.html. Good luck

Bernie's in Chicopee - the "small' prime rib is about 3" thick. Right across the street from the old back entrance to Westover. Casual, nice waitresses, and easy on the wallet!

Caminito's Argentian Steak house is probably the best around, although I must admit I don't get out much anymore. They are definitely not jacket and tie, but you WILL need to make a reservation. Again not upscale but as in Noho you will get a lot of snooty hippy-types. I went once last year as everyone seems to rave about it. Service was very slow, but the steak was very good.

also +1 for the Whately Inn, again not really casual, but so far out there you get people in jeans and tees. Long dinner too, takes a few hours to eat there.

Been to Delaneys once years ago, they advertise the best steaks around, can't attest, also a bit upscale, but no jackets required.

For a damn good Rib Eye cant beat Texas Road House in Spgfld at the Allen and Cooley plaza .I have been to most of the mentioned places and for the price Texas Road House is just as good .

Bernie's in Chicopee - the "small' prime rib is about 3" thick. Right across the street from the old back entrance to Westover. Casual, nice waitresses, and easy on the wallet!

Bernie's Dining Depot is great. The prime rib is very good and the fried clams are great if you decide seafood.

+1 bernies. is a great little place, and inside the railcars is just cool.

might have to try a couple of these other places mentioned.

or one of you in this so called group of men could pull out your man card and fire up the grill before someone 'challenge coins' you on it and it gets revoked. you guys could get the best cut of steak possible, way larger portions than you'd get at a restaurant, buy some beers, save a few more bucks there. do whatever you want for apps and sides, if you really need anything other than meat and beer, which c'mon you're real men so we know the answer here. then with all the money you've saved go to the mardi gra and call your birthday festivities taken care of.

Hope and Olive's Brandt Farm sirloin is typically excellent and so is their bar. The Blue Rock, if they have a steak on the menu that night. West End Pub, if they have a steak on that night. Wherever Tony is cooking (Berkshire East or Mohawk Park) again, if it's on the menu. As mentioned above, Taylor's is decent. Unfortunately, the best steak in Western Mass is now only being grilled in North Carolina.[wink][smile]

Aforementioned: Delaney's Grill (and the attached Mick bar also... you might be able to order a steak in the bar but not sure if it's actually on the bar menu) in Holyoke is supposed to be good. Farm Table in Bernardston is great but pricey and occasionally the clientele can be a little stuffy. Very good food though.

Latitude in West Springfield is very good. I've had several good meals there. For more casual The French King Restaurant in Erving has pretty good steaks. Definitely a more laid back place. I've also had a damn good prime rip at The King Phillip in Phillipston.

Thanks for all the answers guy. Seems like Bernies is getting plenty of votes. Did hear about Whately Inn from a co-worker.

+1 bernies. is a great little place, and inside the railcars is just cool.

might have to try a couple of these other places mentioned.

or one of you in this so called group of men could pull out your man card and fire up the grill before someone 'challenge coins' you on it and it gets revoked. you guys could get the best cut of steak possible, way larger portions than you'd get at a restaurant, buy some beers, save a few more bucks there. do whatever you want for apps and sides, if you really need anything other than meat and beer, which c'mon you're real men so we know the answer here. then with all the money you've saved go to the mardi gra and call your birthday festivities taken care of.
That option might have just presented itself. Possibly going up to Maine instead. One of my guys parents owns a cabin on the beach up there. Waiting for confirmation. If its a go, its a 3-day weekend with steaks on the grill, plenty of beer, and taking the guns out for some fresh air. [smile]

Noho has a good place right by the pearl st night club. I went there for a couple b days when I lived out there.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Thanks for all the answers guy. Seems like Bernies is getting plenty of votes. Did hear about Whately Inn from a co-worker.
Be advised that the Whately is mostly families, dates, and old people. Not really a bro place if you plan to drink and get a little loud.

Caminito in hamp has the best steak I've ever eaten. Also east side grill, also in hamp, has a selection of good steaks. I'm not that well traveled but those are easily my favourites.

I had a couple good steaks recently. Cal's in West Springfield and Food 101 in South Hadley.

Cal's is more casual, Food 101 is a little more upscale. I like a good steak.

If your ever in Aruba check out El Gaucho better than Ruth Chris by a mile.

There used to be a place in either North Amherst or Sunderland. Not sure if it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom