Good price on Winchester 1897 - damaged?

Browsing Gunbroker and I found a 12 gauge Winchester 1897 whose bid is still pretty low. Now I'm still new to guns, but I thought this nick looked a bit odd, especially being on the barrel. Before I put in a bid, I'd love to get opinions from people who actually know something. Is it actually damage, or am I just paranoid thanks to my lack of knowledge? Or if it is bad enough to replace, would the cost of a new barrel be low enough that it's still a deal?

Picture below, but here's a link to the full listing: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=430276722 And yes, I know it's an auction with time left and the reserve not met, but I'm super nervous about even taking a chance if the gun is unusable. Oh, and sorry if it's against the rules to post auction links even if I'm not the seller. I'll take it down if it is.

pix907001318.jpg

Winchester lists that S/N as DOB 1909, so it is C&R but not an antique.

Look at the description and other pictures.

- Stock has a large/bad crack that needs repair.
- Looks like the stock isn't original.
- Seller claims that the forend is likely not original.

So collectable value is rather questionable.

I'd ask the seller about the ding and if there is any intrusion into the bore. Sorry I can't answer the question you asked.

Just that slice,crack,or whatever you want to call it would make me walk away from that shotgun.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll pass for now and pay another couple hundred bucks later on for one in good quality.

Back
Top Bottom