Good price for a K31?

I was at a local gun shop today and I noticed that they had a Swiss K31 behind the counter - with a price tag of $199.00 . I have been thinking of getting one of these rifles after reading "The Swiss and the Nazis" and a couple of other books about the Swiss during WWII - also have heard they are very good rifles and very accurate.

Does that $199.00 sound like a good price? I did not take a close look at the rifle - it was behind the counter about 6ft away, the tag said "very good condition", and it did look to be in good shape to my untrained eyes.

Anything in particular I should look for - good or bad - on one of these rifles? I just got my license a week ago and the buying fever is already hitting me.

Anybody know where to get ammo for these? , and how much it goes for?

First piece of advice, if you don't have a C&R license get one. Go to this thread,
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=181528#post181528 to read all about it. Well worth the $30.00

As to your original question, I would say for retail it's not bad although a bit on the high side. The biggest thing to look out for is the butt being chewed up from having been rested in the snow while the troops were on maneuvers. Many people describe this as looking like the wood was chewed on by a Beaver. Almost all of the K31s I have seen at gun shows have been pretty bad in this area.

I bought mine using my C&R through one of the outfits that will sell to MA. I paid $149.00 for one that looks (to me at least) as if it were brand new. A lot of the issued weapons have tag under the butt plate with the name and unit of the soldier it was issued to. I don't remember how much of this was covered in the NRA article, so I won't go overboard with information you might already know. In any case, mine didn't have tag, which might mean it was never issued or might not. In any case, I'd describe mine as pristine.

Also, you should look at www.Surplusrifle.com and http://www.swissrifles.com/

PM me if you want to know who has them and will sell into MA.

Gary

Its high to me, unless it comes with bayonet and is mint. My advice, other than doing a search on here for K31s (man did I feel like an NES veteran saying that[thinking] ) have one ordered for you from one of the high end suplus retailers like .... uhhh, we're not really at liberty to say here because bad folks are watching, but check out an issue of Shotgun News and look at some retailers.

Its high to me, unless it comes with bayonet and is mint. My advice, other than doing a search on here for K31s (man did I feel like an NES veteran saying that[thinking] ) have one ordered for you from one of the high end suplus retailers like .... uhhh, we're not really at liberty to say here because bad folks are watching, but check out an issue of Shotgun News and look at some retailers.

I keep meaning to get a Shotgun News subscription. I get the feeling that the combination of a Shotgun News subscription and a C&R could get me into some financial and gun storage space trouble. [smile] - for now I just have a few things I am interested in, and the K31 is one of the ones on the list. For a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't mind picking one up. If I can get a mint shape one of from one of the surplus places and have it shipped to an FFL here in state that would work for me too.

Shotgun News and a C&R get someone in financial trouble? Nah, never happen. Let's see 1 year ago no C&R, no SGN, no MilSurps. Today, C&R, SGN subscription, and seven MilSurps. Not to mention the ammo. Not to mention joining this mad house and picking up a shotgun from another member. Nope, nothing to worry about here. <G>

Gary

I am the Key Master! Once you get your key (C&R license), contact me and I will open the doors to the wonderous and evil places you can use to fulfill your desires.[devil2]

I read a little thru the C&R thread - I will have to put that on my list of stuff to do over the winter. But just to be clear - I don't need to have a C&R to own these rifles in MA do I? I have an LTC Class A (with no town-added restrictions). From what I read on the thread the C&R just gains me the ability to buy directly from suppliers and get the resulting loot shipped directly to me instead of going thru an FFL - is that correct?

I read a little thru the C&R thread - I will have to put that on my list of stuff to do over the winter. But just to be clear - I don't need to have a C&R to own these rifles in MA do I? I have an LTC Class A (with no town-added restrictions). From what I read on the thread the C&R just gains me the ability to buy directly from suppliers and get the resulting loot shipped directly to me instead of going thru an FFL - is that correct?

Yep, it also allows you to own pistols like CZ52s that regular Mass LTC owners can't buy here.

Its been a roller coaster ride on these for the past few years the prices have been up and down on the same guns. Just try to get the best condition one you can for the least amount of $$ thats the key to making a great purchase.

I went out to Blue Northern on Monday to take another look - not realizing they were closed. I probably wont get another chance to get out there until sometime after Christmas, so I'll see where I stand when that time comes. Sounds like at least they are around so if I miss this one I can always pick up another. This was just the first one I had actually seen sitting on shelf so it must have gotten my impulse buying urge going.

Back
Top Bottom