Gold and silver prices are down

Last edited:
Has anyone bought those dividable gold 'sheets' - about the size of a credit card ~1.6oz = 50 grams. They divide into 50 pieces easily (convenient) - slightly higher price over spot that Gold Eagles.

I am looking at buying a couple to go with the Gold Eagles. Gold Eagles buy cows and horses, 1 gram could buy feed or seed.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.apmex.com/product/74946/50x-1-gram-valcambi-gold-combibar-in-assay-9999-fine

I look at gold as a store of wealth more than a day to day trading commodity. Silver would be more likely used in trading in any SHTF scenario due to smaller denominations, but more realistically it would be a while before either one was really wanted for trade. I try to keep cash on hand as that would be the first thing I use. People will charge more for items but would be taking a useless commodity at that point so it really would not matter.

Has anyone bought those dividable gold 'sheets' - about the size of a credit card ~1.6oz = 50 grams. They divide into 50 pieces easily (convenient) - slightly higher price over spot that Gold Eagles.

I am looking at buying a couple to go with the Gold Eagles. Gold Eagles buy cows and horses, 1 gram could buy feed or seed.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.apmex.com/product/74946/50x-1-gram-valcambi-gold-combibar-in-assay-9999-fine

I've seen them, and have handled the little broken off grams. I didn't buy one, but I would. The grams seem to break off very cleanly, as you'd expect, and it's a clever concept. The markup over spot isn't so outrageous if you value the flexibility they offer.

I like the idea of those divisible sheets because selling off a full oz coin is just too much and fractional coins have high premiums. I saw a sample of them at the Liberty forum (Amagi metals was there...nice people BTW).

At one point I thought the premium was too much on them...I must not have realized that they are 1.6oz per sheet. Looks like $144 over spot, eagles are about $65 over spot...guess the convenience is gonna cost you maybe 30 bucks or so. It seems like a reasonable solution the the divisible problem. You will end up with gram blocks worth $50....even if gold hit $4000-5000 they still wont be tough to sell/barter.

Personally, I like junk silver. Its recognizable as US currency and you can tell its silver by the noise it makes when you drop it on a hard surface. Each quarter is worth $3.71 @ $20.52 spot. I typically buy circulated quarters or dimes that are in reasonable condition. I see no reason to pay more for shiny coins.

Just my thoughts.

I like the idea of those divisible sheets because selling off a full oz coin is just too much and fractional coins have high premiums. I saw a sample of them at the Liberty forum (Amagi metals was there...nice people BTW).

At one point I thought the premium was too much on them...I must not have realized that they are 1.6oz per sheet. Looks like $144 over spot, eagles are about $65 over spot...guess the convenience is gonna cost you maybe 30 bucks or so. It seems like a reasonable solution the the divisible problem. You will end up with gram blocks worth $50....even if gold hit $4000-5000 they still wont be tough to sell/barter.

Personally, I like junk silver. Its recognizable as US currency and you can tell its silver by the noise it makes when you drop it on a hard surface. Each quarter is worth $3.71 @ $20.52 spot. I typically buy circulated quarters or dimes that are in reasonable condition. I see no reason to pay more for shiny coins.

Where do you buy your junk silver?

I like the 'Junk Silver' too, that is another part of my upcoming buy. Currently $8086 for $500 Face Value 90% Silver Quarters that's 357.5 oz.

APMEX is where I send my paper or digital currency.

Nothing that doesn't keep you alive and healthy is the worst case scenario is worthwhile
Some already mentioned guns, ammo and food stocks
When it comes down to needs it will always be food, shelter and clothing!
People that want this and don't have it will use their guns and ammo to get it!

Nothing that doesn't keep you alive and healthy is the worst case scenario is worthwhile

I'd rather trade silver than lead. And hopefully enough lead to protect my silver

That's the deal, currently I have food stacked and stashed around the house - but if the markets and forecasters stay on their course the remainder of my IRA cash-out goes to a 1-yr supply of #10 cans; screw it - I'll make space for them.

This Gold and Silver allows me to carry a small load and be wealthy enough to start over in the event of a bugout situation. I can't carry a bunch of #10 cans in a backpack.

I believe in a staggered - little bit of everything approach. Food, Water, Medical Supplies, Guns & Ammo, Gear, Gold and Silver. I could switch from a Shelter-In-Place to a Bugout via camper or ATV to a Bugout on foot. I cannot see what is coming other than something bad.

Where I live, the FSA/MZBs could walk by my road and ignore it (dead end) or they may decide it's worth a run in. I have a bunch of ammo and a plan, but I can't stop the City of Fitchburg if they come knocking.

I guess what I'm saying don't be so stuck in your ways that your house is it, and you can't give it up no matter what the odds. Ideally I stay put, but I can Improvise, Adapt and Overcome (I hope).

AND TO GET BACK ON POINT:

My IRA EFT should be in tomorrow [smile] - getting that out to APMEX tomorrow will get me my order on or before 4/7/14.

Last edited:
Bought
9 @ 1oz Gold Eagles
2 @ 50 Gram Gold Combi Bars
$500 Face Value 90% Silver Coins (~357.5oz)
100 Air Tite Holders - I'll have many extra so I'll be Karma'ing some out

Bought this AM at ~$25K; Now ~$24,750 Down ~1% on the day

My EFT from bank to bank was in limbo over the weekend, so couldn't buy until today, was out all day so this AM was buy time [smile]

Can't complain, my money was in the IRA in the GLD ETF and was sold at the beginning of last week so I sold at ~$1370 and bought at ~$1320.

Silver Eagles are only struck in troy oz. I know what you're saying, but when dealing in precious metals we're dealing with troy.

I took advantage of Apmex free shipping offer a couple of days ago. Great company to deal with. Scored a pCGS rated 70 silver $1 for a great price.

Marked for interest.

Got a little of both but would like some more gold. So I went to this Apmex site some of you use and it seems like a lot was "in stock". I mean we're talking HUGE amounts. Kind of blew my mind for a sec. Sure seems like there's plenty to go around.
Well perhaps Until.....[grenade]

Another eBay special from another reputable dealer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121306153945

Again, caveat emptor, but I bought some

Snatching up 2014 CML's for < $22. Love this soggy bottom...

2014-5-Silver-Maple-Leaf-Bullion-Coin-510x233.jpg

Here are the enbloc's Maple Leafs from RLBreton's site:

Lot of 5 - 2014 Canada 1 Troy Oz .9999 Silver Maple Leaf $5 Coins
FREE SHIPPING FROM MCM
SALE $116.07

Pm's certainly down as of late.
Yeah silvers dropped a buck+, but not much talk about golds 4 month low. A lot of yellow moved today. Timing is everything (providing the bottom doesn't drop out anytime in the near future).

Back
Top Bottom