Gold and silver prices are down

Miners waffling like Romney on healthcare
I still kind of think there is an Israel/Iran "bump" in gold and silver that is strong enough to hold up the metals but not strong enough to hold up the miners. Whatever it is, the argument that as an industry miners should be doing rather well at today's prices ought to be supporting the stocks on fundamentals. OTOH, the market doesn't pay attention to fundamentals anymore, so nevermind. :)

PCGS rated St Gaudens $20 gold pieces common dates start at about $2500 and up, depending on grade.

At one time these went as high as $4000 each IIRC.

I still kind of think there is an Israel/Iran "bump" in gold and silver that is strong enough to hold up the metals but not strong enough to hold up the miners. Whatever it is, the argument that as an industry miners should be doing rather well at today's prices ought to be supporting the stocks on fundamentals. OTOH, the market doesn't pay attention to fundamentals anymore, so nevermind. :)
I’m waiting to see how 10Ks draw in more investors for senior producers if the $2100 gold price procures higher cash flow and dividends eventually. If the aisc of the seniors is around $1600-$1800 then a gold price of $2400 is basically extremely positive cash flow for Q2 earnings.

That’s pretty much it right there. I’m HODLing.

I’m waiting to see how 10Ks draw in more investors for senior producers if the $2100 gold price procures higher cash flow and dividends eventually. If the aisc of the seniors is around $1600-$1800 then a gold price of $2400 is basically extremely positive cash flow for Q2 earnings.

GDX is now at the same level it hit when gold went from $1000 to $1400 in 2016.

It’s only 13% of their revenue, but major producers have too many risks for the potential of 2-3 baggers at most.

Not only do they lose 13% of revenue, but likely all the investment in personnel, equipment and the costs of starting up a mine. Gold is rarely on the surface, and these guys often have to excavate for years to get to the PM's.

This is going to leave a mark. And it makes me wonder if other companies or mining sites are in the crosshairs?

Not only do they lose 13% of revenue, but likely all the investment in personnel, equipment and the costs of starting up a mine. Gold is rarely on the surface, and these guys often have to excavate for years to get to the PM's.

This is going to leave a mark. And it makes me wonder if other companies or mining sites are in the crosshairs?

Generally the companies whose assets are in sketchy countries have much lower valuation. But there’s nowhere safe now. Mexico went from a top jurisdiction to a risky one now, and a company in Alaska had their permit revoked by Biden, that’s almost unheard of, cause companies spend billions after getting their permit, assuming it’s solid.

Keep in mind this is just talk, Mali hasn’t done anything yet. Often it’s just political talk that will amount to nothing, like Washington promising to help poor black people.

Didn’t add anymore physical but did jump into another position in GDXU at $35.

GDX chart - I wouldn't pay too much attention to his predictions, but it does show how miners haven't broken out of their trading range yet. When they do, they won't look back.

For GDX to go back to $30.5 like his chart predicts, gold would probably have to sell off under $2300. If gold stays up here, it'll keep miners from selling off much.

gdx.jpg

GDX chart - I wouldn't pay too much attention to his predictions, but it does show how miners haven't broken out of their trading range yet. When they do, they won't look back.

For GDX to go back to $30.5 like his chart predicts, gold would probably have to sell off under $2300. If gold stays up here, it'll keep miners from selling off much.

View attachment 873701
Yeah, I’d like to see his stats on predicting price action. Since GDX broke through $32 and gold through $2400 the sky’s the limit afaic. Only some marked change in macro will change this move such as peace and tranquility with stable economic growth but we all know that’s near impossible with the debt/credit/multipolar crisis that can’t be constrained much longer. The US election cycle seem to be the only macro lynch pin.

Yeah, I’d like to see his stats on predicting price action. Since GDX broke through $32 and gold through $2400 the sky’s the limit afaic. Only some marked change in macro will change this move such as peace and tranquility with stable economic growth but we all know that’s near impossible with the debt/credit/multipolar crisis that can’t be constrained much longer. The US election cycle seem to be the only macro lynch pin.

I haven't come across anyone who correctly predicted gold's move the last year.

Many predicted the move, and were way early on the timing, nobody predicted the timing right.

A gold retest of $2250, or $2150 would be no big deal, imo. Miners would probably sell off if this happens soon - I think the longer gold stays up here the stronger miners will get.

Barrick was up yesterday and up in pre-market today. I don't know what they are doing about this mine but investors don't appear to be scared off...at least not yet.

I'm not making any investment recommendations to anyone. I just hate leaving money in a bank savings account that will get inflated away or potentially 'bailed in.' I'd rather take some risk with that money and be potentially rewarded with appreciation. I can get money out of my individual stock accounts in a day which is fast enough.

Barrick was up yesterday and up in pre-market today. I don't know what they are doing about this mine but investors don't appear to be scared off...at least not yet.

I'm not making any investment recommendations to anyone. I just hate leaving money in a bank savings account that will get inflated away or potentially 'bailed in.' I'd rather take some risk with that money and be potentially rewarded with appreciation. I can get money out of my individual stock accounts in a day which is fast enough.
Gold futures bought on the dip again back to $2400. It’s fairly impressive to me and those Q1 ‘24 earnings could be stunning to institutional investors looking for deep value.

Gold futures bought on the dip again back to $2400. It’s fairly impressive to me and those Q1 ‘24 earnings could be stunning to institutional investors looking for deep value.

I think there’s a delay before higher gold prices affect the selling prices of metals so might be more like Q2.

I think there’s a delay before higher gold prices affect the selling prices of metals so might be more like Q2.
We’ll see what Agnico, SSR, Wesdome, and Newmont offer up late April but Q2 earnings around July should be stellar as you say.

Depends on their hedging strategy. Many mining companies sell gold futures to raise cash for mining operations. Much like farmers sell contracts on what they grow. But that limits their upside if/when gold gains value.

Suzy doesn't think you should be buying Gold
She just says think about storage and how you're going to sell it. If you're just planning on storing it for a while and selling it later, you might decide on a more convenient way of investing in gold. Most guys around here aren't planning to sell their physical gold, so ...

Depends on their hedging strategy. Many mining companies sell gold futures to raise cash for mining operations. Much like farmers sell contracts on what they grow. But that limits their upside if/when gold gains value.

A $400-600 move in gold is huge. Miners have learned not to hedge their entire production, that’s been a ticket to bankruptcy.

She just says think about storage and how you're going to sell it. If you're just planning on storing it for a while and selling it later, you might decide on a more convenient way of investing in gold. Most guys around here aren't planning to sell their physical gold, so ...

If you go on CNBC, you have to push Wall St products, or they don’t invite you back.

Nobody on Wall St makes a dime when you buy physical gold.

Back
Top Bottom