• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Gold backed down to the 1680 level last week. Today it is back above $1730.

The Fed announced that there likely would be no change in interest rates through 2022. Gold popped right after this announcement.

ETA: And now at $1740.
$18.01 this morning.

Where do you see that spot is up a lot?
View attachment 364335

Are you linking the Spot or Futures price?

Seems like maybe Yahoo and Apmex quote the change as the change since midnight - while other's quote the change since previous close. They showed the same number you linked, or close, but the change was like 40 cents, not 5 cents.

Are you linking the Spot or Futures price?

Seems like maybe Yahoo and Apmex quote the change as the change since midnight - while other's quote the change since previous close. They showed the same number you linked, or close, but the change was like 40 cents, not 5 cents.
Kitco phone app. I assume it shows current spot. As you say, it must reference a different opening price than Yahoo and Apmex use.

What would be really nice is a graph of the round trip hit (% lost if buying and selling Eagles on the same day) vs. spot price of silver.

What would that tell you?
If could tell "You'll get 85% of value if you sell today, but if the price goes up, you will get 92% of spot, or if it goes down you will only get 75%".

All useful information for evaluating the risk/reward probabilities.

With any investment, it has to go up for you to break even. With the metals, low prices would seem to necessitate a larger price jump to break even when prices are low.

It would tell me how the buy/sell spread correlates to price.

My instincts tell me the buy/sell spread is much more closely correlated to supply/demand than price.

I've bought during slack demand times for slightly over spot. I couldn't do that today. There does not seem to be enough physical gold and silver supply at the moment, evidenced by the lack of inventory at many dealers.

My instincts tell me the buy/sell spread is much more closely correlated to supply/demand than price.

I've bought during slack demand times for slightly over spot. I couldn't do that today. There does not seem to be enough physical gold and silver supply at the moment, evidenced by the lack of inventory at many dealers.
No doubt true, but the lower prices also increase demand.

Yup. You would think the opposite but the .Vix was rising at the same time so volatility is pressuring everything.

It might just be that both have reach the high end of their trading range and are correcting. There's not enough news to drive gold up as a fear trade so it's just continuing the healthy correction after a huge run up.

Funny thing- Great Bear is up another 13% today. Is a big miner going to takeover? That’s another huge gain from this morning.

I just inherited real silverware, a silver tea set and other silver dishes. These were from my Great Grandmother, circa 1910's The appraisal from Longs Jewelry done in the mid 1980's says it's worth over $10K, and yes I know appraisals are a joke. The silverware is engraved with a C but the tea set is not.

I'm thinking they are all going to be melted down but am open to ideas from the board. Anyone have an "in" at a refinary?

I just inherited real silverware, a silver tea set and other silver dishes. These were from my Great Grandmother, circa 1910's The appraisal from Longs Jewelry done in the mid 1980's says it's worth over $10K, and yes I know appraisals are a joke. The silverware is engraved with a C but the tea set is not.

I'm thinking they are all going to be melted down but am open to ideas from the board. Anyone have an "in" at a refinary?
First thing, weigh it and calculate the melt value at spot (you'll do well to get 50% of that selling it as scrap silver). If it's sterling it's 92.5% silver by weight.

Sit on it for now if you don't need the money. Wait until Uber drivers are telling you to buy junk silver, then it'll be easy to sell. That's probably 2-3 years away.

First thing, weigh it and calculate the melt value at spot (you'll do well to get 50% of that selling it as scrap silver). If it's sterling it's 92.5% silver by weight.

I think it is stirling as it has fancy proof marks that I am decoding. I have to liquidate the estate as I am not the only beneficiary. None of the 20 to 30 year old's in the family want it. I'm checking out a refinery that was suggested to me to hopefully cut out the middleman.

I think it is stirling as it has fancy proof marks that I am decoding. I have to liquidate the estate as I am not the only beneficiary. None of the 20 to 30 year old's in the family want it. I'm checking out a refinery that was suggested to me to hopefully cut out the middleman.

See if you can trade it for something or buy off their share at current spot price. That'll be a big win in a year or two.

Keep in mind when you weigh the pieces, the knife handles are hollow, and usually filled with something like cement to make them feel more substantial. Might help with balance as well. Refiners, and people buying silver know this, and will tear the handles apart before weighing.

I am no expert by any means but didn't most silversmiths mark their work in some fashion? Check on line auction sites for similar pieces you might be able to get more than melt value.

Back
Top Bottom