• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

$3 dollar per T/oz premium for generic rounds is ridiculous...

View attachment 354232

I think some people view it as the cost, not the premium - like 3 years from now when silver is $100 and you paid $18/oz for your silver, you won't care if the premium was $3 or $0.50. Unless you're paying taxes. :)

I get that, but I still call anything over Spot, Premium...
If I'm thinking of it wrong, how do you define 'Premium'...?

I get that, but I still call anything over Spot, Premium...
If I'm thinking of it wrong, how do you define 'Premium'...?

That's what I meant by premium yeah, price over spot. My point was a lot of buyers just want silver cause they think it's going to $50, and since the spot is only $15, they don't care about the large premium.

Yeah, makes sense. Silver is X per ounce. X includes spot + premium + shipping + tax.
Lol. "X" is a variable that gets thrown 'out the window' when we sell it...

Yeah, makes sense. Silver is X per ounce. X includes spot + premium + shipping + tax.
Lol. "X" is a variable that gets thrown 'out the window' when we sell it...

Yeah, and when it's $50, you won't care if you paid $18 or $20. :)

Silver went up 4X after the 2008 crash I think, and this Fed printing bonanza dwarfs 2008.

Lol. It was pushing on $50 in 2011 and I didn't sell. Store of wealth, blah, blah, blah... [rofl2]

$3 dollar per T/oz premium for generic rounds is ridiculous...

View attachment 354232
If you can buy 1 oz rounds retail (fewer than 500 at a time) for $3.00 over spot, then you're doing very well. They are currently trading at wholesale levels for $2.65-2.75 over, including shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504-163607_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200504-163607_Facebook.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, the $3 bucks over spot was JM Bullion. No shipping no tax in that price.

So, here's a question. Lets say you had 100 1oz generic rounds to sell 'Private Sale'. What would you sell it at per/oz?

I'm not selling, just trying to get a feel for the secondary market ebbs & flows.

Yeah, the $3 bucks over spot was JM Bullion. No shipping no tax in that price.

So, here's a question. Lets say you had 100 1oz generic rounds to sell 'Private Sale'. What would you sell it at per/oz?
In a private sale, I would say somewhere around $1.50-2.00 over Kitco ask would be giving both parties a better deal than either would get from a local dealer.

Crunch time for gold and silver, both have broken out over major resistance ($1750 and $16.50) and if they close the week strongly above those levels, that's very bullish. I think the next level is $1900 for gold and $18 for silver, although if gold goes to $1900, silver will probably go to $21.

Premiums are up on Eagles, JM shows $25+ for uncirc random date, $26+ for 2020's. I cannot recall a 66% premium ever.

Since the US mint is up running again I expect premiums should start dropping. Silver could be at $18 soon though, having broken out this week.

Silver is dirt cheap and people are starting to realize that. The days of sub $20 silver coins is probably gone for good. [crying]

I just bought a bunch of random silver (mix of premium and generic bars/rounds) because the price wasn't a disaster at $19/oz. I was going to trade them to a friend for a 1950's S&W revolver and a collectible bottle of wine. I may have to hold off on the trade, and hope that silver keeps on rising and I can score a case of wine instead....

Trading random things is a habit that has turned into a curse for me. But it's a lot of fun and I just can't stop.

Only 3 left, lol. $30/oz for silver eagles.

I don't get why people pay 100% over spot - do they think the zombies are coming?

Is it like stocks - the more expensive they get, the more valuable they must be?

Only 3 left, lol. $30/oz for silver eagles.

I don't get why people pay 100% over spot - do they think the zombies are coming?

Is it like stocks - the more expensive they get, the more valuable they must be?

In addition to the $30 price, ebay will charge you MA sales tax! At least he is shipping them for free! 2020 SE's are getting harder to buy.

SPOT is a Lie, if the selling price doesn't reflect it...

just remember retail demand for coins and small bars is huge, but industrial demand (the bigger portion of silver use) is lower, so it balances out, since the mints can buy silver cheaply but can't produce coins fast enough.

Silver mine production is also low but should increase soon.

I'd expect a flood of retail silver to hit the market soon from restarted mints. It may all get gobbled up though.

So much for $16.50 resistance, silver is now almost $18 this morning.
Finally it broke out. I'm sitting on a fair amount I bought about two months ago for an average of $15.50 per ounce. Hoping my speculation will pay off and I can trade/sell for some stuff or cash toward a gun purchase.

If you buy over $1000 they won't charge MA tax.

I went round and round with Ebay on this and they said they will charge MA sales tax on everything. If you have newer info, please cite the location I can read their statement that over 1K they won't charge.

I never understood the premiums associated with silver eagles. They are widgets.

2020 is a different animal. It's the last year of this design and 2021 will be the first year of the new one. I too do not understand the current scalp price for eagles, but they are getting the dollars, so who am I to tell them they are wrong to sell at a high price? Spot is just a number, not what stuff sells for.

I went round and round with Ebay on this and they said they will charge MA sales tax on everything. If you have newer info, please cite the location I can read their statement that over 1K they won't charge.

2020 is a different animal. It's the last year of this design and 2021 will be the first year of the new one. I too do not understand the current scalp price for eagles, but they are getting the dollars, so who am I to tell them they are wrong to sell at a high price? Spot is just a number, not what stuff sells for.

Go to MCM, add enough of one item to get over $1000 and the tax goes away. Works on Apmex too. I don't think it's EBay it's the vendor that has to do this.

I just poked around eBay.

The cheapest 100 ounce silver bar is $2100, with most at $2150+.

Same prices for PCGS rated St Gaudens $20 gold pieces.

Premiums still seem quite high for physical gold and silver.

I just poked around eBay.

The cheapest 100 ounce silver bar is $2100, with most at $2150+.

Same prices for PCGS rated St Gaudens $20 gold pieces.

Premiums still seem quite high for physical gold and silver.

I heard recently about OUNZ, a stock where you can exchange your shares for physical gold. The fee is $500 per exchange plus $55 per oz for Australian gold coins, or $115 for Eagles.

Nice option for people doing like 10 oz or more.

The real issue with the huge premiums is what has it done to the buy/sell spread (round trip back to the market maker/seller with no change in the underlying metal value). Does Apmex and the like now pay a higher premium when buying Eagles and rounds, or has the spread widened?

The real issue with the huge premiums is what has it done to the buy/sell spread (round trip back to the market maker/seller with no change in the underlying metal value). Does Apmex and the like now pay a higher premium when buying Eagles and rounds, or has the spread widened?

I think it comes down to knowledge is power. Dealers will make lowball offers to most. Those who know the reality of the current situation can push back or walk out.

Or, if you find dealers who have a ready supply of buyers, they're more likely to make a reasonable offer over spot so they can flip the coins quickly and make a profit. If they don't buy they can't sell.

Depends...

I think it comes down to knowledge is power. Dealers will make lowball offers to most. Those who know the reality of the current situation can push back or walk out.
The big boys (Ampex, etc.) have standard buy prices and don't play the college tuition or car price game when making a buy offer.

Back
Top Bottom