Go bag, compact, binoculars..

je25ff

NES Member
Anyone have a recommendation for decent binoculars that are compact, potentially fit in a molle pack, and in the $200 range?

Just something that I can see out to 2 or 300 yards decently. If the price range is ridiculous, ok, but I totally lack compact binoculars that I can put in a molle pouch or pack.

Feel free to recommend something outside that price range, within reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want magnification only or something with range finding ability?

I have a scope that can do that, but I won't always have that rifle with me.

I found these http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_52hgyiwukj_b

but not sure if anyone can review or has something better.

Probably want to go with roof-prism for compactness (and I see that's what's in your link). I have a few models of small Japanese Swift brand roof-prism binoculars with 'ruby' coated lenses. They are fairly inexpensive, but well made with decent optics for the $$. All well over 20 years old with regular use outdoors, and still in fine working condition.

I got mine at wholesale cost 'cause at the time my sister owned a small retail shop that sold them [smile] If you know someone that has a retail shop, Swift has (or at least had) a very low minimum wholesale order. Might be able to order some up cheap.

Last edited:
I have a set of the Nikon Monarch series binoculars. They're not what I'd call small, but they're fantastic in terms of clarity and so on. Keep in mind that as the objective lens gets smaller, your low light useability goes down. I searched and searched for a decent monocular and ended up going with the Nikons because they filled a wider niche for me.

The monocular I was looking at is Docter 8x21. If you have some time to kill, Nutnfancy has a review, bros.

Damn, they're cheaper than I remembered. I might have to pick up a set just because.

OP: Whatever you end up with, do us a favor and do a little review.

when you say compact, I think monocular

never really use one though

although I do have a 4x "monocular" on my rifle [wink]

I have a monocular, but it is rather painful to use. I prefer using both eyes. My smallest is about the size of a deck of cards and cost $15 at a local gun store... That is my preferred choice when I want really easy to carry. I can't remember the brand though.... I have a larger compact Nikon that is good but I also don't remember the model. Was $80 though.

I got a monocular to save space and hated it (that Docter 8x21 looks interesting though). I got a great deal on a Japanese Fujinon 7x50 bino - new surplus from a .mil contract. I leave them in the car and can put them in the get home bag if I need to start walking. They are phenomenal.
s-l140.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is magnification vs steadiness. When I bought my binocs, I fooled around with a number of different sets of binoculars with an assortment of magnification and glass qualities to see what I liked. I found that with anything over 8x I couldn't hold them steady enough to actually focus on what I was seeing, regardless of the glass quality. It was actually tiring to look through a 10x pair. With 8x I have no problems holding them steady, even when pausing at an overlook while hiking and breathing heavily.

I don't know if this translates from binocs to monoculars, but I thought I'd throw this out as something to consider especially if you're buying sight unseen.

I just thought of another thing. If you wear glasses you want to make sure the binoculars you get have long eye relief. The Monarchs I mentioned do and it makes a world of difference.

Back
Top Bottom