• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock pre-ban mags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a few pre-ban hi-cap mags. for my Glock 22 from a well known & well liked local shop. Myself not being any kind of an expert on the matter, I posted a couple of pictures of the mags. at Glocktalk.com (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818907). I'm now informed they are all POST ban mags.

What do I do? Return them? Keep them? I'm sure this gun shop would not sell anything knowingly breaking the law.

Thanks

FWIW glock will not verify if mags are pre or post ban, they (GLOCK) claim there is no way to tell. If you are so inclined and call them they will tell you that most of what is posted by "Internet experts" on the subject is nonsense. They will most likely tell you the only sure way to identify a ban mag is if they are marked LEO. If it bothers you return them, better safe then sorry I guess.

I just bought a few pre-ban hi-cap mags. for my Glock 22 from a well known & well liked local shop. Myself not being any kind of an expert on the matter, I posted a couple of pictures of the mags. at Glocktalk.com (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818907). I'm now informed they are all POST ban mags.

What do I do? Return them? Keep them? I'm sure this gun shop would not sell anything knowingly breaking the law.

Thanks

I have the same problem. I am just keeping my mouth shut and do my thing. If you make the phone call let us know what they say.

I know GLOCK has stated there is no true way to tell. All I know is if the mag has anything above the 9mm#3 follower (SP01812-3), it is post-ban. Pre-ban mags can not accept 9mm #4, #5 or #6 followers. Easiest way to tell IMO.

Do a forum search. There's a few threads on the subject.

Thanks

No way to tell...

I have a Glock 15 round, 9mm magazine that I bought before they made post ban mags. It has the "9mm" high up on the back of the magazine and not centered in the middle.

I can prove that I bought this pre ban magazine because I still have the dated receipt from the mail order company who charged $150 for this little gem. I bought it before the AWB ended and that is why it was so expensive and rare.

According to the thread on GlockTalk and on here, it would be considered post ban by it's features.

If you have post ban magazines, even Glock can't prove if they are pre ban or post ban. If Glock can't prove it, either can the state.

I don't know what advice to give you, but I will say that since you don't know for sure about your magazines, you should err on the side of caution.

Hopefully he didn't charge you more than $15.99 a mag. You can sometimes find pre-ban Glock mags on ar15.com and here for around $20-25. Most the time the deals come from people out-of-state who can legally posess new mags.

I know GLOCK has stated there is no true way to tell. All I know is if the mag has anything above the 9mm#3 follower (SP01812-3), it is post-ban. Pre-ban mags can not accept 9mm #4, #5 or #6 followers. Easiest way to tell IMO.

And where is the authoritative (read, has veracity) source that proves that mags which can accept 4/5/6 followers only were produced -after- 9/94?

-Mike

Glockmeister says so...

This is true for 9mm.

http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_65&products_id=78

WHEN YOU ORDER ANY OF THE 9MM KITS (17,19,26,34), THEY WILL COME WITH THE NEW STYLE #4 FOLLOWER THAT WILL NOT FIT ANY MAGS MADE BEFORE JANUARY 2002. THE #4 FOLLOWER IS ONLY FOR THOSE MAGS MADE AFTER JANUARY 2002.

THE 1812 #3 FOLLOWERS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I know someone who has three different generation mags. One pre-ban and two post bans. The pre-ban will not accept followers higher than .40 #5s, one post-ban will only take #5s, and the last post-ban will only take higher than #5. He messed around with them and swaped followers from mag to mag
whistling.gif

And where is the authoritative (read, has veracity) source that proves that mags which can accept 4/5/6 followers only were produced -after- 9/94?

-Mike

The source is me. I have tried it and it doesn't work. I then confirmed with the GLOCK. Call them. They will tell you the same thing. All I know is I will carry NFML mags with my GLOCKs just to be safe. I don't trust the "GLOCK says there's no way to tell".

I know someone who has three different generation mags. One pre-ban and two post bans. The pre-ban will not accept followers higher than .40 #5s, one post-ban will only take #5s, and the last post-ban will only take higher than #5. He messed around with them and swaped followers from mag to mag
whistling.gif

FWIW the guys earlier in this thread are talking about 9mm mags, not .40s, etc. It's possible that in .40 there is no difference.

-Mike

The source is me. I have tried it and it doesn't work. I then confirmed with the GLOCK. Call them. They will tell you the same thing. All I know is I will carry NFML mags with my GLOCKs just to be safe. I don't trust the "GLOCK says there's no way to tell".

So, basically, Glock is contradicting themselves? [laugh] I'll
have to call them if I get a chance....

I have to agree in a sense with IPSCdrl... this thing has run
its course. If anyone calls Glock, (Whether it's the OP, or someone
else, and gets NEW info, please post it in this thread:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4944&page=12

I'm locking this one as it's basically redundant to the
discussion in the URL above- and that URL is more visible, overall.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom