• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

glock or walther

Mornin... My dealer got in a slug of PD trades. I'm trying to figure out the better piece. Walther P99QA w/3 clips,box papers or a Glock 23 w/ 1 clip ,box. Both are 40 S&W. Both are also 99.9%condition.Same $$.. Your thoughts please. Not wanting to start a pi$$ing contest however. Just HONEST info would be great. I've Goggled the question and what a bunch of crap. I know this post is about as honest and truthful as it gets. Thanx and Happy Easter to all Stash

I've never owned a Walther P99 , but I do currently own 7 glocks with 1 being a 3rd gen G23 and have never had a problem with any. The only Walthers I own is a P22. Glocks are like Harleys , You either swear by them or swear at them. I have a friend with a local PD and he does not like them, He prefers his Beretta. I own Glocks and Sigs and I would recommend both. I've moved about just as many glocks as I currently own in the past without any trouble, without any loss in money if you're careful what you pay to start. The prices do flex based on supply and demand. I do believe you will not regret the Glock ,but thats my opinion. Glocks can be addicting !!

Several years back I had both the Glock mid size and the Walther P99. I thought that both of them were good, but eventually settled on the Glock and sold the Walther. Personally I think that whichever one fits you best is the way to go. For me it was the Glock. Your experience may be different.

walther glock

Hi again. Forgot to mention they are both pre-ban. The Wally has 3 -12 shot and the glock a 10 shot mag. Another thought I had was the S&W now does Walther and service is only 40 miles from me. Most of the folks I know have Smiths or Sigs or Colts... Am replacing my S&W 9c duty gun. Want a tad more power,don't like the 45 acp. Will be open carry most of the time with a bit of ccw as needed.

Glocks are very LOW maintenance and I've been to the factory in Geogia and had new factory night sites put on all of them for $58.00 each and spoke with them on the phone and their custumer service is outstanding. I've called and told them I'm from MA with an old guide rod and spring and in 2 days I had a new one at my house at no charge. My favorite all around is still my G19

I would say Glock. The QA trigger is heavier than the standard Glock trigger. Walther parts are also more expensive and difficult to come buy and preban mags usually go for $70-90, although for 0.40 there is not much difference between 10 and 12 rounds. If you are buying a Walther, I would recommend the Compact 9mm model, as the pistol is designed for 10 round mags.

I'd go with the Glock all the way. Don't worry about where the service center is located because you won't probably won't need any for the Glock. If you're not limited to your two choices, I'd consider getting a full size G22 instead of the G23. For some reason of all my Glocks the G23 is my least favorite. The G22 is only a little bigger, but it's a LOT easier to shoot, and if you plan to shoot it a lot you will notice the difference the extra sight radius makes. They should also be available at a decent price. Four Seasons seems to have them quite often.
-Cuz.

Thanx for the input... As I stated I have a choice of either the G23 or the Wp99qa. No other choices... I did a bit of local research today and am leaning towards the Walther. Spoke to a total of 8 leos I know well and the vote was 5 to 3. 4 of them have them as thier personal weapon for off duty use. The 5th guys son has a 9 and a 40 and wouldn't part with then at any cost..Of the other 3 there are 2 smiths and a sig..

have you considered a Smith and Wession M&P? I have an M&P 9c and love it! it's a little smaller than a G19, but holds 10 rounds....

the G19 will have more rounds via pre-ban hi-caps, but the M&P is a nice gun.

the Walther looks "toy-like" in my opinion, but it seems like a reliable gun. i haven't heard any negative feedback from the two people I know who own them.

i like my guns "all business" so that is why my personal pref. is towards the glocks, sigs, ruger and S&W.... unless of course you throw the 1911... then it's time for grips and shine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am replacing a Smith model sw9c with 17 rnd mags... Want a tad more umph per bang........

care to elaborate?

you are replacing a 9mm fiream with 17rd magazines? huh?

or you are replacing an M&P9 with a Glock 17?

I have a P99 9mm AS. I really like the AS trigger and overall I love the pistol. It is most certainly not a toy gun and while I don't regularly throw my gun in the mud to "see if it will still shoot", I've had no problems with it.

However, I would go with the Glock. I'm not a huge fan of the QA trigger. The other thing to keep in mind is that just about every firearm accessory is made for at least two guns: 1911s and Glocks. There's something to be said for owning what everyone else has.

I'm looking for more umpf not quanity. And guys the choice is Glock 23 no other choices. I realize you Like YOUR particular model but it doesn't change what I HAVE A CHOICE OF. And FYI i'm getting both and will dump the one that I DON"T LIKE.. Thanx for the help Happy Easter to all

I'm looking for more umpf not quanity. And guys the choice is Glock 23 no other choices. I realize you Like YOUR particular model but it doesn't change what I HAVE A CHOICE OF. And FYI i'm getting both and will dump the one that I DON"T LIKE.. Thanx for the help Happy Easter to all

LOL, now I'm really confused....

a Glock 23 is .40 caliber.

a Glock 17 is full size, w / 4.5" barrel

a Glock 19 is "mid size" but listed as compact w / 4.0" barrel

a Glock 26 is sub-compact w / 3.5" barrel

*all in 9x19mm aka "9mm" aka "9mm Luger"

Glock 22, 23 & 27 fall in the same order as 17, 19 & 26 in size, except they are .40 caliber....

With that said, if you are looking for more "umph" or stopping power with a .40 caliber Glock, a Glock 22, 23 or 27 is what you are looking for (i think).

I'm still confused though.......

One more thing comes to mind....

The Smith & Wesson SIGMA 9 & 40

These "Glock Clones" can be purchased for $200 (used) to $325 (new). They are availalbe in 9mm and .40 caliber. I did NOT purchase one because of the price, I figured it would be a POS.

A buddy of mine bought a 9mm - his first gun

My brother recently bought a .40 - his 3rd gun

They shoot fairly well, I like the wider trigger and "trigger safety" on the S&W polymer pistols (M&P or Sigma) vs. glocks - in my opinion, a wider trigger is easier to pull w/o jerking the pistol....

The only down side, they only make full size variants of the SIGMA, unless you get the .380 - too small for my tastes....

I own a Glock 22 and a Walther p99cAS.

I like my Walther better, but if I could only have one it would be the Glock.

With a Glock you have tons of aftermarket parts, and cheap preban mags. Also with the Glock 22 you can get a 9mm and .357 barrel so you have a gun that shoots multiple calbers. The Walther does have adjustable rear sights and a rail though.
Can I ask where and what the prices are?

First off I'm not disclosing where. I got a new one torn out by mentioning a dealer... Both pieces are 40 S&W. Am replacing a 9mm. Like I said they are both in my safe as we speak. I can tell you this as of now just on handling the Glock is gone. Didn't want to shoot on Sunday so I'll wring-em out in the morning. I figure 50 rounds each should give me a feel of which shoots better. Bought some nice Hornady hp's. I'll let you all know how they did. Shooting WILL be the determining factor on which one goes on the block. And to top it off, I ate WAAAAAAAAAAY too much...

I have a Walther P99AS 9mm and have shot a friends G19 9mm on occasion. I prefer the P99 by leaps and bounds. The grip fits my hand so well and I find when I raise the gun the sights just line right up. The Glock was more like a 2X4 with sights. Both are equally reliable and durable. I don't know much about the QA trigger, but the AS trigger on the P99 compared to the Glock is like a 1911 vs a staple gun (for me anyway).

I suspect if you like the QA trigger you will like the P99 over the Glock if you already find it fits your hand better.

Nothing against Glock. They are popular for good reason. The P99 just fits me far better.

I have heard of someone making .357Sig conversion barrels for the P99 .40. I got a .357 conversion barrel for my .40 Sig P239 and now almost exclusively shoot it over the .40. It is such a superior round in so many ways.

I'm interested to hear what you come back with. I had a Walter P99 in .40 and hated it. It didn't fit my hand correctly (regardless of backstrap) and I thought it jumped around to much. I did however like the decocking button. I sold it and picked up a Glock 23 and like it much better. The glock fits my hand well and shoots nicer than the P99 did.

I'm interested to hear what you come back with. I had a Walter P99 in .40 and hated it. It didn't fit my hand correctly (regardless of backstrap) and I thought it jumped around to much. I did however like the decocking button. I sold it and picked up a Glock 23 and like it much better. The glock fits my hand well and shoots nicer than the P99 did.

hehe... No two hands are the same :)

I guess that's why all the guys with the high post counts tell you to shoot "everything" first. I know I did.

Hi guys. Well they BOTH shot like CRAP.. I guess they were really used by the pd that turned them in. The Glock would do a dinner plate at 7 yds and the Walther a garbage can cover. Needless to say the Smith is gonna be my go to piece. If the Glock felt better in my hands I would've spent a buck or two at my smiths to tighten it up. The Walther felt and handled better. My dealer took em both back after he tried them . He shot the rest he had and determined that HE had been had.. Oh well such is life. Again thanx for all the input and advice, I knew I could depend on NES,,,,, Stash

Hi guys. Well they BOTH shot like CRAP.. I guess they were really used by the pd that turned them in. The Glock would do a dinner plate at 7 yds and the Walther a garbage can cover. Needless to say the Smith is gonna be my go to piece. If the Glock felt better in my hands I would've spent a buck or two at my smiths to tighten it up. The Walther felt and handled better. My dealer took em both back after he tried them . He shot the rest he had and determined that HE had been had.. Oh well such is life. Again thanx for all the input and advice, I knew I could depend on NES,,,,, Stash

Just a thought, you could send the Glock back to Glock and they would go right thru it and replace any parts that needed replacing and even the barrel if it was worn all for FREE. If you wanted to send them $45 they would also refinish the slide like it was brand new. Can you do that with the walther?
-Cuz.

Hi Cuz...... Why buy a gun to send in to get fixed?????? Free or not. I don't buy JUNKS... Any thing in the safe is a min. of 98% condition OR BETTER. I worked way TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard for my $$$$ to spend on stuff that doesn't work or need tto be repaired. Not sure if my dealer is gonna send the Glocks in or not. I think he dumped them already...In my eyes it was no great loss. I quess I'll stick with my Smiths and Rugers.........

Hi Cuz...... Why buy a gun to send in to get fixed?????? Free or not. I don't buy JUNKS... Any thing in the safe is a min. of 98% condition OR BETTER. I worked way TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard for my $$$$ to spend on stuff that doesn't work or need tto be repaired. Not sure if my dealer is gonna send the Glocks in or not. I think he dumped them already...In my eyes it was no great loss. I quess I'll stick with my Smiths and Rugers.........

I like Rugers.........

I think you are taking everyone here for a ride..... [laugh2]

Your posts are poorly written and don't make any sense. [rofl]

If i could get a good gun for cheap, I'd buy it. If the factory will make it top notch condition for free, it wouldn't matter to me. Some of us buy used guns because we can't afford newer ones. We jump on the oppurtunity to give our used gun a tune-up for free.

So don't read em. Don't recall asking YOUR advice specifically. Also what part of CRAP GUNS didn't you like. Must Be a Glockhead... Thought this was a nice place but I guess I was mistaken. Good nite and good bye

Back
Top Bottom