Glock armorer's course

Yes, read their rules. Either LEO or sponsored by an FFL.

I seriously doubt that they will ever run those courses in MA. We don't exactly roll out the red carpet here for Glock, do we?

I'd expect to see a course in CT, NH or NY before ever seeing on in MA.

Glock runs courses in MA every year, usually at a police department. The one earlier this year was held at the Boston PD academy. Glock requires a written request from the dealer and an FFL copy to register, or a LEO agency letterhead request. Cost is about $100 and includes lunch. The course lasts 1 day and provides certification as an armorer for 3 years.

I seriously doubt that they will ever run those courses in MA. We don't exactly roll out the red carpet here for Glock, do we?

This is kind off topic but when I called Glock last week to ask about sending a gun to them I said I was in Mass and the guy said "Oh...well we at Glock try to be as nice as possible with mass people b/c we can not send you new guns." He seemed very sympathetic of us Ma**h***s[laugh]

Rob, thanks for the correction.

For OP: The rules, requirements and dates/locations are on the Glock training website IIRC. Haven't looked since last year, so I may have found it somewhere else then.

I find the whole notion of making the knowledge to service a firearm a restricted commodity utterly ridiculous..
for what possible reason is it restricted to LEO and FFL sponsored individuals?

its legal to own and carry a firearm , but illegal to hold the knowledge to service it?

Chip,

FWIW Glocks are some of the easiest guns to service/repair. There is one GREAT book (can't remember name) I have and a couple DVDs that are good. If you're up to the task, it's not difficult at all.

You can service what you want, at least in theory . . . you actually need an FFL and MA State License to do it wrt guns however. Glock parts can be ordered by anyone from many places.

Glock is only training commercial/mil/LE gunsmiths. Warranty work can only be done by a Glock Armorer or the factory. That is their right.

Can the shade-tree mechanic attend Ford/Chrysler/GM/Honda/etc. factory mechanic courses off the street, without endorsement from a dealer/garage?? I suspect not.

The authoritative book is:
COMPLETE GLOCK REFERENCE GUIDE; 3rd Revised & updated edition (Spiral-bound) by PTOOMA Productions (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/COMPLETE-GLOC...3061735?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174416454&sr=8-1

I find the whole notion of making the knowledge to service a firearm a restricted commodity utterly ridiculous..
for what possible reason is it restricted to LEO and FFL sponsored individuals?

While I love a good conspiracy, did you stop to think for a minute that
these courses might be partially subsidized by the company?

Given that, though, you would figure they would just charge a discounted
rate for LE/FFL and another rate for everyone else.

It might also be a matter of supply/demand... so they limit participation
in scope by narrowing it down to those groups.

IMO they're only going to teach you bare minimum stuff anyways; things
you could probably learn from a book or a video. They're not going to
teach you how to do something interesting, like how to custom fit a
BarSto barrel to one of their pistols, or how to do an action
job.

-Mike

Glock has a limited supply of trainers, and has chosen to limit factory training and certification to agency customers and dealers. This is actually a fairly common practice for factory armorer courses. Even with this limitation, their courses tend to be completely full - and they want the slots occupied by people who will be servicing many guns other than their own.

If they opened up the armorer's course to the public, they would have to hire a boatload of trainers and their model of "use PD training facilities" would also cease to work.

The goal of the course is to teach attendees how to maintain Glocks to "factory specification." The only thing remotely relating to customization is a description of the procedure for installing Trijicon and Meprolight sights.

Last edited:
You can service what you want, at least in theory . . . you actually need an FFL and MA State License to do it wrt guns however. Glock parts can be ordered by anyone from many places.

The authoritative book is:
COMPLETE GLOCK REFERENCE GUIDE; 3rd Revised & updated edition (Spiral-bound) by PTOOMA Productions (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/COMPLETE-GLOC...3061735?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174416454&sr=8-1

LenS- where are the laws that state I can't work on my own guns and replace old parts? That IS the Glock book I was referring to- it's great!

I guess that I need to "qualify" my statement . . .

You can do anything you like to your own guns, no extra (other than LTC) licenses required.

Once you start working on other people's guns, BATFE and MA both have laws in place that require you to get a Gunsmithing FFL (specific class) and MA Gunsmith License . . . neither of which is possible in MA unless you operate out of a commercially zoned building.

Thanks everyone.... didn't realize it would spark a big debate. I was interested in the course to perhaps add it to my own resume. I do my own basic repair to my Glocks (if they ever needed any), but was interested in just what the factory course teaches. I was hoping they'd have the course for a price perhaps a bit more than what they offer it to LEO's for but I see now that isn't the case. I will check out the book though thanks for the tip.

Chip

I know of folks that get sponsored by their favorite FFL so that they can take these sort of courses. If you do a lot of business with a specific FFL, you can always ask them . . . all they can say is No.

I guess that I need to "qualify" my statement . . .

You can do anything you like to your own guns, no extra (other than LTC) licenses required.

Once you start working on other people's guns, BATFE and MA both have laws in place that require you to get a Gunsmithing FFL (specific class) and MA Gunsmith License . . . neither of which is possible in MA unless you operate out of a commercially zoned building.

Gotcha... I'm a little slow sometimes. [wink]

As someone who as owned Glocks on and off for years, and worked at two different FFLs fixing and tinkering with Glocks, spend your money somewhere else... $100 will get you a half case of 9 and range time!

There is NO need to take the class if you want to completely detail strip, fix or tinker with your Glock. Has to be the one of the simplest guns ever.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/ has all the info you need! If you want it for your resume, I guess thats one thing, but its otherwise useless.

--EasyD

did you stop to think for a minute that these courses might be partially subsidized by the company?

+1

I talked to a dealer that took the FFL course years ago when Glocks were still sold in the Commonwealth. He said it was a bit of a joke considering how easy it is to detail strip and reassemble the Glock. At least then, the course was as much PR as instruction.

Consider that the Glock Armorer tool is just a punch.

As someone who as owned Glocks on and off for years, and worked at two different FFLs fixing and tinkering with Glocks, spend your money somewhere else... $100 will get you a half case of 9 and range time!

--EasyD

$100 for a half case? You're getting robbed, my friend.

I don't see what the big deal is. I have been servicing my Glocks for years with no instruction. There just isn't that much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom