• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 43 Polymer 80 in MA

What's up y'all. I recently built a Glock 43 using a polymer 80 lower. Does anyone know if i need to serialize the fully assembled firearm? And if so, how I go about doing that? None of the parts I used have a serial number on them, but that's what I need in order to register it in MA as a firearm under my name. Any thoughts/advice/links that could help me out?

I bought the parts and built it under the impression that the lower assembly would have a serial number on it I'd be able to register
I imagine you didn't bother to search for this serial number before filing the 80 and assembling the gun.

I would give you the answer, but we have a search function and at least 10 threads on how to build guns in MA.

Yeah thats my understanding of it as well serialize whatever you want and the manufacturer is whatever you decide

Also you have 7 days to do this after completion so i know you've been working on it a while but when you finish it make sure you file that 😉

Also I haven't lived in mass in 5 years so that could've changed

a P80 does not have to be serialized if you built it for yourself and are not going to sell it at any point

When you eFA10 it, you put NONE as the serial number

If you do sell it, there are strict requirements for the height, depth and font of the SN you will have to add to it, and it has to be done by a (07?) FFL IIRC, but don't quote me on that.... it is working on a firearm so that is why I suspect a FFL of some sort is required.

Nothing is stopping you from getting it serialized if you want.

What's up y'all. I recently built a Glock 43 using a polymer 80 lower. Does anyone know if i need to serialize the fully assembled firearm? And if so, how I go about doing that? None of the parts I used have a serial number on them, but that's what I need in order to register it in MA as a firearm under my name. Any thoughts/advice/links that could help me out?
I bought the parts and built it under the impression that the lower assembly would have a serial number on it I'd be able to register

So you bought a P80 intending to register it when you finished it?

wat

You do understand, that is sort of like dividing by zero.

"Hey dude my house has termites. So I am going to have them come treat the termites. "

"Then a few weeks later I'm going to have them knock the house down. Cuz termites. "

[rofl]

a P80 does not have to be serialized if you built it for yourself [snip]

[snip]
this part is completely correct, you can also say "NO SERIAL NUMBER" or "NSN"

There's a difference between building for yourself but deciding later to sell it, and building for the purpose of sale (i.e. manufacturing)

I always find it very hard to believe that someone can do enough research to buy and finish an 80% gun but they can't figure out the legal requirements surrounding it.
Lol it's a different kind of motivation. I'd swear under oath that I've done more hours of research than I can count trying to figure out the legal requirements. But there are so many different answers out there that I just decided to ask on a forum and see what people said 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lol it's a different kind of motivation. I'd swear under oath that I've done more hours of research than I can count trying to figure out the legal requirements. But there are so many different answers out there that I just decided to ask on a forum and see what people said 🤷🏻‍♂️
Jon Green will explain it tonight. Sign up, take the class. It's really worth it.

Nobody who has replied is an expert on the topic. Nor are they lawyers. Jon isn't a lawyer, but he has studied the laws in MA.

And you'll be supporting GOAL

I always find it very hard to believe that someone can do enough research to buy and finish an 80% gun but they can't figure out the legal requirements surrounding it.

The problem is that researching anything to do with laws, particularly in MA, is that one has to wade through dozens of either wrong or BS responses in order to find the correct answer, of which, the person may not even be able to recognize as the correct answer considering they had to look it up in the first place (ie. they're green on the subject).

A retarded baboon with late stage Parkinsons disease can finish a P80 lower, and there are dozens of 5 minute Youtube videos if that is still too difficult. So I don't see how one relates to the other. The build part is far easier.

That said, I personally would have spotted the landing before taking the leap.

All the different answers you read online are the same different answers you’re going to read on a forum. The advice here is worth what you paid for it, and none of these opinions will keep you out of jail if they’re wrong.

I would read the relevant MGL on recording transactions, if unclear contact GOAL for clarification or a firearms attorney. That’s useful advice from experts, not unknown random people on a forum.

No need to register. You are the manufacturer. Build and shoot.
a P80 does not have to be serialized if you built it for yourself and are not going to sell it at any point
Not true. You can sell it as long as your original intent when building it was for personal use only. In other words, you can build it for yourself, and sometime later decide you don't want it anymore, then sell it. You cannot sell the gun if your original intent was to immediately sell it when you first built it.
(I know it's an ambiguous line, but that's the way the stupid law works).

No need to register. You are the manufacturer. Build and shoot.

Not true. You can sell it as long as your original intent when building it was for personal use only. In other words, you can build it for yourself, and sometime later decide you don't want it anymore, then sell it. You cannot sell the gun if your original intent was to immediately sell it when you first built it.
(I know it's an ambiguous line, but that's the way the stupid law works).
Minor correction: no need to serialize. General understanding seems to be that reporting (recall, it's not a registry of firearms but of transactions) is required. What choices an individual makes WRT these requirements is firmly in the world of "big boy rules"

ETA - also, individuals building for personal use are not manufacturers. manufacturing is defined by being "in the business."

Last edited:
OP, first rule about 80%s is you don't talk about them. Second rule is you just do your thing and move on while continuing not to talk about your 80% builds.

They typically aren't the type of firearms you velcro to the dashboard of your car for the world to see.

but feel free to serialize it and deliver photographs to the state
Maybe a billboard while you're at it.

If you do sell it, there are strict requirements for the height, depth and font of the SN you will have to add to it, and it has to be done by a (07?) FFL IIRC, but don't quote me on that.... it is working on a firearm so that is why I suspect a FFL of some sort is required.

There is no Federal or Mass law or reg that requires ever adding a SN to a firearm built (by you) for your own use even if you later transfer it.

If you choose to, then yes, there are specs to follow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom