• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 21 vs. Ruger SR45

My son and I went to Mass. Firearms School yesterday to do some shooting.

I brought my Ruger SR45, and my son rented a Glock 21.

I was really surprised how much worse the recoil on the Glock was compared to the Ruger.

The Ruger is really a soft shooter......[grin]

it's subjective. i've owned both and much prefer the G21. sold the SR45. regardless it's a 45acp so recoil is pleasant regardless of platform. it's also possible MFS's G21 needs a new recoil spring, which if worn out can result in harsher recoil

Glock 21 in my opinion is one of the softest shooting 45s out there. I have never fired the ruger nor would I care to.

like squib said maybe recoil spring, things probably beat on pretty good

I was really surprised how much worse the recoil on the Glock was compared to the Ruger.

Comparing a rented, beat to shit, stepchild Glock from MFS to a personally owned, probably babied and cleaned Ruger is not the best comparison. My 21 has some pop to it but its no 10mm.

Not sure if serious. Maybe it's because the ruger is overweight. I always thought my G21 was pretty soft shooting for a polymer framed .45.

-Mike

I never shot a Glock 21 but my SR45 is very soft shooting, very comfortable and pretty accurate. There's a lot of hate for Ruger and the SR line but I like my Sr45 and SR22. That said, if I were going into combat I'd take the Glock 21 every day and twice on Sunday just based on reputation alone.

My SR45 started having light strikes. Easily fixed by cleaning a small piece of primer material out of the firing pin channel but it's a design flaw with the SR45 so it's not 100% reliable in a combat situation. For home defense it's fine after you clean it and as long as it doesn't suck in another piece of primer after your first shot. I have only had it happen once but in theory it could happen the next time I shoot it. I pray I'm never in a bad situation and if I am I pray it doesn't happen then.

I never shot a Glock 21 but my SR45 is very soft shooting, very comfortable and pretty accurate. There's a lot of hate for Ruger and the SR line but I like my Sr45 and SR22. That said, if I were going into combat I'd take the Glock 21 every day and twice on Sunday just based on reputation alone.

My SR45 started having light strikes. Easily fixed by cleaning a small piece of primer material out of the firing pin channel but it's a design flaw with the SR45 so it's not 100% reliable in a combat situation. For home defense it's fine after you clean it and as long as it doesn't suck in another piece of primer after your first shot. I have only had it happen once but in theory it could happen the next time I shoot it. I pray I'm never in a bad situation and if I am I pray it doesn't happen then.

My G21 is stupid reliable, and eats every cheap range-quality ammo I feed it with zero complaints.

Fun but spendy to shoot

Other than that one light strike problem my SR45 has been great, no other issues and not picky at all with ammo. I wonder if a slightly longer firing pin would solve the debris in the channel issue. I mean if it goes back only far enough that it is flush with the bolt face it can't suck in any debris. It must be going back farther into the channel such that there is room for debris to get sucked in and lodged in the channel. Seems like an easy fix but I'm no gunsmith.

I had an SR45. It was a comfortable gun to shoot, accurate, fun, but not totally reliable. Also very large and heavy. When I sold it I bought a Glock 19. If I were to get another .45 it would be a G21/30. Preban magazines are a big draw.

I had an SR45. It was a comfortable gun to shoot, accurate, fun, but not totally reliable. Also very large and heavy. When I sold it I bought a Glock 19. If I were to get another .45 it would be a G21/30. Preban magazines are a big draw.

M******* mags are 10 rounds, standard/preban mags are 13. That's not enough of a difference for me to care: I still need 3 mags for a 30 round loadout.

I have a beat, shiny-from-hoster-wear Gen II G21. It's felt recoil is less than my EDC G19, and while I'm no Hickok45, it is by far the pistol I am most accurate with.

Not sure if serious. Maybe it's because the ruger is overweight. I always thought my G21 was pretty soft shooting for a polymer framed .45.

-Mike

Meh, my two least favorite hand gun manufacturers. I just can't get over the stupid Glock trigger and the block like, 2x4 grip. ( and you can't make me [devil] )
The only Glock 21 I have ever fired was a rental from AFS. How do accuracy and recoil compare to a decent, mid range 1911? Say a S&W or similar.

it's subjective. i've owned both and much prefer the G21. sold the SR45. regardless it's a 45acp so recoil is pleasant regardless of platform. it's also possible MFS's G21 needs a new recoil spring, which if worn out can result in harsher recoil

Yup! LOve my G21 too. Have owned a boat load of 45's including Rugers but as far as 45's go, I bought my last one when I bought my Glock.

Meh, my two least favorite hand gun manufacturers. I just can't get over the stupid Glock trigger and the block like, 2x4 grip. ( and you can't make me [devil] )
The only Glock 21 I have ever fired was a rental from AFS. How do accuracy and recoil compare to a decent, mid range 1911? Say a S&W or similar.

If you can't hold a Gen4/SF properly then yeah, its kind of a no-deal proposition. I think a 1911 recoils slightly less (because of the added mass) and has less muzzle flip, but I shot my G21SF for an entire season of bowling pins (as a challenge to myself, to improve skills) and I wasn't that much slower than I was with a 1911. If I had normal hands instead of the hands of a girl it'd probably be that much easier to run it at speed.

One thing I did with that G21 that I wouldn't dare do with a 1911 was to shoot it for the whole season without cleaning it. Most cheap (under $1000) 1911s will get you about two pin matches without cleaning, and you'll get punished eventually with jams (and blown matches, lol).

-Mike

i find between my G21sf and the 1911 . with a full mag they are about equal.. but when the G21 gets down to about half the reduction in weight i start to notice more muzzle flip and recoil in the G21 than the 1911 which has a constant ease of shooting through the whole mag.

i look forward to selling my g21 and picking up another 1911 ..

and the 1911 fits my hands better

M******* mags are 10 rounds, standard/preban mags are 13. That's not enough of a difference for me to care: I still need 3 mags for a 30 round loadout.
This. Plus why would you want to do something only marginally legal in general? Stick with ten-rounders that you know are MA safe. Better yet, stick with a 1911, if you're going down the .45 route.

If I had it to do over again I would probably have gone with a 1911 over the SR45 but I am probably going to stick with it now that I invested in a nice holster and expensive tritium/fiber optic sights for it (which I like). Maybe when I am done paying for the kids' college in another 6-8 years (hopefully) I will treat myself to a really nice 1911.

If you are going into combat may I strongly suggest you bring a rifle?!?!

Back
Top Bottom