Glock 19/17 Gen 3/4

I had the same decision as you, and ultimately went with the Gen 3 (G26) as they have such a flawless history, and the Gen 4 seems to have some issues. In addition some of the parts are not interchangeable. Hundreds of rounds later it has been flawless, happy with my decision.

One cosmetic consideration : there are 2 types of glock finishes out there, i had the new matte grey finish on my 3 newer glocks , but when i held an older slick black finish, ( which in mine and my friends opinion stand up better than the grey) i knew i had to sell my 3 glocks and get all older slick black glocks. So thats what i did , luckily i found 2 NIB that were old stock a 17 and 26, grabbed those up quick, and then found a backup 26 that was a tad newer and picked that up.

I owned a hole lot of glock gen 4 including 2 g19, 3 g26 , 1 g27, 1 g23 and some gen3 glock's also and never had any problems with none of them

Ok. Thanks for the input everyone. I need to find someone with a G17 Gen3 and a G17 Gen4 and shoot them both. I am not opposed to buying a Gen4 and keeping it for 20 years if it is going to shoot right and not give me issues out of the box. I want it to just work. I do like the grip of the Gen4 better, just don't want any issues with it.

If grip style isn't the issue, I would go Gen3 and never look back!

I just ordered the guide rod adapter, and a stainless guide rod for the Gen4 G19 from amazon.com for $39.44 shipped.

If grip style isn't the issue, I would go Gen3 and never look back!

I just ordered the guide rod adapter, and a stainless guide rod for the Gen4 G19 from amazon.com for $39.44 shipped.

To me the grip was not an issue at all, love the Gen 2.5 or Gen 3 grips...

I have a Gen 4 17 which had stovepipe issues in the beginning. I upgraded the recoil assembly to the newest version (0-2-4) and have been 100% since (even with my 147gr competition mouse fart loads).

My Gen4 19 has been flawless since I got it when it was released. As has my Gen4 26 (not surprising since it uses the same gen3 recoil system).

All of my Gen4's are 100% and eject normally.

Personally I'd go with Gen4. The new features make a big difference for me.

So which is the updated guide rod? Someone else said 0-3-4.

Again the problems may come because I only shoot 115 grain loads, and I know that's where a lot of people we're having problems with lighter ammo.

According to Glock on Tuesday of this week, This is the updated guide rod. At least for a G19

24ffba39.jpg

Again the problems may come because I only shoot 115 grain loads, and I know that's where a lot of people we're having problems with lighter ammo.

As of this past Fall, 0-2-4 (4 on the bottom) for the G17.

And when I had problems in the beginning with the 17, it didn't matter if I was shooting 115gr or 124gr NATO, or +P self defense rounds.

With the new 0-2-4 spring I can shoot anything, doesn't matter how light the load is.

Last edited:
Ok great. I will def look and take it apart in store. Maybe I will go with a new Gen4 again and take my chances. Thanks for the info!

i ended up purchasing online 2 vickers extended mag releases , im going to try them out and see if they are an improvement to the gen 3 mag release

Ok, thanks. From what I have read on the .net, it seems to be a lot of people say the Gen 3's we're the best ones made. They also say though, that the backstraps are a bit bigger.

With the 9s and 40s it is like having the medium installed. Frankly running them without it installed, the grip is way too small. With the .45 running it without anything on it is the same size as the G21SF.

They still make 3rd gens, and they are slightly less expensive.

-Mike

Exactly, the issues with the Gen 4 Glocks are way overstated imo.

No, not overdone. I have 3 of them and out of the 3 two of them have ****ed up on me and have had to go back to Glock. The G17 is perfect now, though. The G21 Gen4 is still hitting me off the head with brass, although not nearly as bad as it was before. The G26 has been fine from day one. Then again I hope it would be, considering that the G26 didn't change much from the Gen3 version.

-Mike

Last edited:
Worst case scenario, you buy it, and realize you need a new Guide rid assembly, call Glock and they will ship it for free.

Not quite. There are other issues, eg, the ejector. If someone gets a recent production gun, this is unlikely to be an issue, though.

-Mike

My factory repaired G17 Gen4 runs everything fine, even piss weak ammo. It's more than just the recoil spring. (I went through 3 different RSAs and had to send the gun in). Course I had an early one.

-Mike

No, not overdone. I have 3 of them and out of the 3 two of them have ****ed up on me and have had to go back to Glock. The G17 is perfect now, though. The G21 Gen4 is still hitting me off the head with brass, although not nearly as bad as it was before. The G26 has been fine from day one. Then again I hope it would be, considering that the G26 didn't change much from the Gen3 version.

-Mike

My experiences are vastly different. I have 4 and have never had an issue with any of them nor have any of my friends with theirs. Granted this is a small sample so maybe we all got a good batch.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

My Brother purchased a G-19 Gen 4 and we took it to the range Wed. Put about 150rnds through it, not one issue what so ever. Warned him about some of the comments I have read on here. I wonder if limp wristers are the ones having trouble with how the round ejects? I know it can cause feeding issues in many other semi's. Just a thought.
Love the new spring btw, def notice the difference in recoil.

-Mike

How long have you had your G17 G4? What parts did you have to replace? If I take it apart in store, and it has the 0-2-4 RSA Like Hanwei stated, do you think it would be good to go? Maybe also a spent casing from say 2012?

How long have you had your G17 G4? What parts did you have to replace? If I take it apart in store, and it has the 0-2-4 RSA Like Hanwei stated, do you think it would be good to go? Maybe also a spent casing from say 2012?

Mine is one of the "early" ones. I've had mine for the better part of a year now. I am reasonably confident that if you get a newer 17/19/34 you probably won't have any issues.

-Mike

Last edited:
My experiences are vastly different. I have 4 and have never had an issue with any of them nor have any of my friends with theirs. Granted this is a small sample so maybe we all got a good batch.

I guess I just take issue with the term "overstated". When a company like Glock or HK makes even 5% dud rate, it ends up being noticed. I'm not bashing the Gen4 for what it's worth, but there is no getting around the fact that Glock has released a lot of ****ed up guns into the channel. At least so far they've made good (like I said, they made my G17 perfect... no erratic ejection at all, with any kind of ammo, even garbagey weak stuff) although I'll see what happens with the G21 Gen4.... if it doesn't straighten itself out, I'm probably going to persue an aftermarket solution before I consider sending it back again.

-Mike

If the grip on the Gen 3 is not too big and/or you are not left handed. I would go with the 3.

Regarding the mag release? This might sound absurd, but I actually find it easier to to release the mag with my index finger while shooting lefty opposed to the thumb while shooting right! This is mostly an issue on the sub compact Glocks with the standard flush fitting mags. Seems like when I shoot right I need to raise the muzzle to hit the mag release. For the record I'm a lefty, but try to shoot off-hand as much as possible and only have been hit once in the forehead!

Back
Top Bottom