getting the repeal of AWB on the ballot

Education of the masses will be needed for this to have any chance as indicated below. The big problem will be the cost to do this education. Mass media and the internet will need to be used for this. A VERY professional web page will need to be created. No gun or paraphernalia on the home page as you don't want to turn off an anti as soon as the page opens. Several layers of options with ironclad facts provided by Gov'ts and global statistics.

Once the site is up you have to start advertising this. Quick hits like billboards on busy roads into Boston, fliers in local regional free papers, links on media web sites, etc'. We'd also need to look at sponsoring family friendly events on a fairly big scale to bring people in as well as setting up booths to pass out fliers and provide facts at all of the major fairs, flea markets, etc' in the state.

It's not going to be easy, will need a LOT of volunteers, a good amount of determination/commitment and a good amount of financial support. Do we have the base for it, yep, I think so. Who will take the lead and start getting this together is another story. I don't think this can be a GOAL initiative. It needs to be more grass root then that.

Before you even start thinking of doing that - honestly I think what is needed is a massive campaign to educate people on THE FACTS.

The facts are that only a very small percentage of murders are committed with a RIFLE - and "assault weapons" are a subset of that.

The facts are the most murders occur in urban areas with over 250,000 people

The facts are that when civilians own guns - VIOLENT CRIME GOES DOWN

The facts are that in areas where guns are banned (Shitcago, D.C. , Boston, etc) - VIOLENT CRIME GOES UP

The facts are that Shitcago - which is virulently anti-gun - is the murder capital of the United States

The facts are that before every genocide that has happened in the last century - they were ALWAYS preceded by gun control and then gun confiscation

The facts are that you actually have a higher chance of dying thru genocide - than thru regular murder.

The facts are that civilians shoot innocent people LESS often than the police do in situations where either is dealing with a criminal.

The facts are the the police themselves have said that the AR-15 is the perfect self defense firearm.

The facts are completely on our side. We need to start HAMMERING people on the FACTS. I honestly think that there is a vast amount of people out there who are looking for the TRUTH. I also think people aren't "stupid" - they are just overwhelmed with a massive amount of bullshit and lies and deception from the government itself and the anti-gun crowd.

I would like to see a guerilla marketing campaign to get the FACTS out there. Leave postcards on subway cars. In malls. In people's mailboxes. Link the postcard to a website which clearly and eloquently discusses the actual facts behind gun control and gun ownership. Blanket the damn state with them - let the FACTS seep into people's heads. You will probably NEVER convince the moonbats and hoplophobes - but that's not who you're looking to convince anyway.

Convince the people "in the middle" - and the moonbats will become irrelevant.

Once you've got critical mass - that's when you start pushing to repeal the laws. In fact the repeal effort will likely happen "naturally" because so many people will now find the laws just simply ridiculous.

Education of the masses will be needed for this to have any chance as indicated below. The big problem will be the cost to do this education. Mass media and the internet will need to be used for this. A VERY professional web page will need to be created. No gun or paraphernalia on the home page as you don't want to turn off an anti as soon as the page opens. Several layers of options with ironclad facts provided by Gov'ts and global statistics.

Once the site is up you have to start advertising this. Quick hits like billboards on busy roads into Boston, fliers in local regional free papers, links on media web sites, etc'. We'd also need to look at sponsoring family friendly events on a fairly big scale to bring people in as well as setting up booths to pass out fliers and provide facts at all of the major fairs, flea markets, etc' in the state.

It's not going to be easy, will need a LOT of volunteers, a good amount of determination/commitment and a good amount of financial support. Do we have the base for it, yep, I think so. Who will take the lead and start getting this together is another story. I don't think this can be a GOAL initiative. It needs to be more grass root then that.

There you go. That's what I'm talking about.

I watched what happened with the Ron Paul campaign pretty closely. They had a very effective grassroots marketing campaign.

What I see is a website - like you said, very "professional" looking - that is easy to navigate and is populated with all the facts about guns. You could used billboards, internet ads - etc. One thing I think could be effective - is just postcard sized "fact cards" - that lay out the basic details of a certain area - refer back to the website for more extensive information on that area - and have are designed to grab people's attention.

Then you sell the cards on the website - people buy them - and just leave them around. Leave them at the library - leave them on the subway - leave them at schools - anywhere you go. Yeah - a lot of them will get thrown away - but here and there people will pick them up and learn something.

It won't happen overnight - it needs to be a consistent persistent effort - underground - just constantly working on people.

This is exactly how the liberal welfare state has taken over - they have co-opted people's minds by dominating the information dissemination channels - this begins with the schools. We need to counter that somehow.

Just crying Molon Labe! as you hoist your AR over your head like Ted Nugent - isn't getting it done.

As I said in another thread:

A ballot initiative in MA to repeal the AWB would most likely backfire. The people of MA (the ones who don't own guns, and actually many that do...) are not ready for that yet. When it didn't pass, the antis on the hill would use it as an excuse to push for more gun control. "See? The people want this!"

I think it would be a disaster to try right now.

Lay the ground work first, and educate people about how difficult it is to comply with the current MA gun laws.

I think a full repeal is too ambitious for a ballot initiative. Maybe inserting language to the existing law exempting LTC and FID holders from the AWB would be more palatable to the sheeple. We could even call it an effort to improve existing law.

I think a full repeal is too ambitious for a ballot initiative. Maybe inserting language to the existing law exempting LTC and FID holders from the AWB would be more palatable to the sheeple. We could even call it an effort to improve existing law.

maybe even adding some language that acutally penalizes the the police dept that just sit on the applications for no other reason than they can

You honestly think anything at all that would improve things for gun owners, which would be opposed as 'putting more dangerous guns on the street', has any chance of passing a referendum vote in Massachusetts? Get real.

Opening the issue to the public without major education well beforehand has no possible upside and a huge downside risk.

You honestly think anything at all that would improve things for gun owners, which would be opposed as 'putting more dangerous guns on the street', has any chance of passing a referendum vote in Massachusetts? Get real.

Opening the issue to the public without major education well beforehand has no possible upside and a huge downside risk.

No, I don't think it would work. But, if we were going to go the Ballot Initiative route, the best we could hope for would be to modify the laws to exempt everyone who can legally own a gun anyway. It's also an easier position to defend from a PR standpoint.

No, I don't think it would work. But, if we were going to go the Ballot Initiative route, the best we could hope for would be to modify the laws to exempt everyone who can legally own a gun anyway. It's also an easier position to defend from a PR standpoint.

The best we can hope for is to propose that and have the measure soundly defeated at the polls.

It can't be called "a repeal of the assault weapon ban." There is too much misinformation and publicity. Joe public is going to think it is a repeal of the machine gun ban. It needs to be a "repeal of the common modern sport rifle ban" or "exclusion of popular hunting rifles from the Assault Rifle definition" with the details outlined (exclude pistol grip, flash suppressor, adjustable stock, normal capacity magazine from the definition). It should clearly state the Assault Rifle definition will still include fully automatic guns that spray 1000 bullet a minute with chain fed belts of bullets.

Huge indeed. An IP to repeal Mass AWB would fail hard. There may be some gains realized in the debate, showing how ridiculous the AWB law wording is, but where would that get us.

Generally I hate the initiative petition process for various reasons. The most important is that I don't trust that my rights are protected in a plebiscite on a specific issue. Just imagine the result of an IP that proposed to "ban any military-caliber firearm". Or, to this discussion, if antis retaliate with their own IP to "close the AWB loophole" and drop the acceptable evil feature count from 1 to 0.

I think we cannot go off "half-cocked". Right after CT and the following incidents in CA even gun owners were shaking their heads. People who live in homes with firearms were buying into the BS. Many just felt something had to be done. It takes time for people to get rational again. What if another incident happened just prior to the election? We would be royaly screwed. This is the time to get behind GOAL, COMM2A & the NRA. Follow their lead through the Legislature and the Congress. The rally on the 19th was a good start, where will you be on Patriots day when GOAL needs you at the State House again?

In my opinion if the question "to ban all assault weapons and high capacity magazines in the Commonwealth" was to be add to the ballot next election...it would pass with over 60% of the voters....just a opinion.....but I think I'm right....

I can already imagine the TV ads against this ballot initiative paid for by Bloomberg. How do we plan to raise the funds to equal or better those ads?

Before you even start thinking of doing that - honestly I think what is needed is a massive campaign to educate people on THE FACTS.

The facts are that only a very small percentage of murders are committed with a RIFLE - and "assault weapons" are a subset of that.

The facts are the most murders occur in urban areas with over 250,000 people

The facts are that when civilians own guns - VIOLENT CRIME GOES DOWN

The facts are that in areas where guns are banned (Shitcago, D.C. , Boston, etc) - VIOLENT CRIME GOES UP

The facts are that Shitcago - which is virulently anti-gun - is the murder capital of the United States

The facts are that before every genocide that has happened in the last century - they were ALWAYS preceded by gun control and then gun confiscation

The facts are that you actually have a higher chance of dying thru genocide - than thru regular murder.

The facts are that civilians shoot innocent people LESS often than the police do in situations where either is dealing with a criminal.

The facts are the the police themselves have said that the AR-15 is the perfect self defense firearm.

The facts are completely on our side. We need to start HAMMERING people on the FACTS. I honestly think that there is a vast amount of people out there who are looking for the TRUTH. I also think people aren't "stupid" - they are just overwhelmed with a massive amount of bullshit and lies and deception from the government itself and the anti-gun crowd.

I would like to see a guerilla marketing campaign to get the FACTS out there. Leave postcards on subway cars. In malls. In people's mailboxes. Link the postcard to a website which clearly and eloquently discusses the actual facts behind gun control and gun ownership. Blanket the damn state with them - let the FACTS seep into people's heads. You will probably NEVER convince the moonbats and hoplophobes - but that's not who you're looking to convince anyway.

Convince the people "in the middle" - and the moonbats will become irrelevant.

Once you've got critical mass - that's when you start pushing to repeal the laws. In fact the repeal effort will likely happen "naturally" because so many people will now find the laws just simply ridiculous.

To start educating people on the facts, we need to remove the irrational fear of guns. There is no better way to do that than to start taking newbies to the range. Teach them proper safe handling of firearms, let them shoot at paper targets, and let them realize that a gun isn't this mysteriously evil force that they've been indoctrinated to hate. The facts are on our side, but public perception is a long way off from the facts. You say the words "gun", "AR" or "shoot" and the ignorant people lose all rational thought and fall back on the emotional responses that they've been brainwashed to.

Heller confirms the right to keep and bear arms "in common use." That seems like the way to go. I don't see why that wouldn't apply to magazines either.

You don't put civil rights up for a vote.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe that's what the ballot initiative should concentrate on. Include all those divisions of individuals consistently being persecuted for whatever reason (gays,minorities,purple people eaters) give the libs something to feel good about and they will drink the kool-aid.

Why hasn't a website already been developed by our advocates,who have the information, expertise, and more importantly the funding to create an effective treatise on the subjects that we all want to educate the public about?

In my opinion it may be better to standardize the licensing requirements from town to town first before tackling the AWB

Inalienable rights can't be voted away or voted into effect. Either a government recognizes them or not. Putting them on a ballot declares them privileges.

This is the most insightful, philosophical statement I have read on the subject so far. The will of the majority cannot ever be legitimized when it comes up against the fundamental natural right to self-defense. The will of the majority is the most dangerous tyranny of all, because the justification of it is "the common good", which is the will to power of dictators.

Back
Top Bottom