• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

getting the repeal of AWB on the ballot

xero2099

NES Member
I believe it is time to counter attack . I have not had that much time to research it yet but from what i gather A lawyer or law group would have to draft a proposal and i also think a certain amount of signatures may be needed. I think this would not only show that gun owners mean business but it may also get the people who are still on the sidelines to the front line. if anyone knows what else is involved lets get the ball rolling

That's an interesting questions, and I think this is the good time to put this question on the ballot. Massachusetts voters are seeing what other states are doing to combat AWB including bills to no enforce federal AWB and Sheriffs saying the same. That coupled with the excellent portests that are popping up across the Commonwealth. Hell even our liberal neighbors to the North in VT had a bill that died about a day or so after proposed. So yes, I think its a great time ***ONLY*** if we keep up the pressure and keep up forward progress.

I like the idea, but I am curious if this could backfire on us? I would love to see the AWB and all of our other BS laws gone, but what if the sheeple vote 80 to 20% against the ballot initiative? Does that empower our legislators to stick something else in our backside while their iron is hot?

Just playing devil's advocate and I don't know the answer. Similarly, is there some other part of our BS laws that could be put on the ballot that might be more valuable and easier to pass (if we assume that the sheeple and the Fudds will not be very helpful because they are brainwashed into thinking "no one needs an assault weapon"?)

I like the idea, but I am curious if this could backfire on us? I would love to see the AWB and all of our other BS laws gone, but what if the sheeple vote 80 to 20% against the ballot initiative? Does that empower our legislators to stick something else in our backside while their iron is hot?

Just playing devil's advocate and I don't know the answer. Similarly, is there some other part of our BS laws that could be put on the ballot that might be more valuable and easier to pass (if we assume that the sheeple and the Fudds will not be very helpful because they are brainwashed into thinking "no one needs an assault weapon"?)

It can't really hurt any more than what's on the books now, and what DP is proposing. If we do nothing, we lose out massively. If we extend our voice and get this going, and it gets shot down, then there's proof of what's living in this state, and further proof for a mass exodus.

However, if we do put this forward, and it passes.....we're that much closer to freedom.

I'd sign this, absolutely.

I like this. At a minimum, it will highlight the fact that MA ALREADY HAS an AWB and that the laws are already strict enough.

Most people that say we need NEW gun laws don't even know what laws are ALREADY ON THE BOOKS.

Here's the HOW-TO from the MA Secretary of State:
Elections: State Ballot Question Petitions

Short version (dates are guesses from the last cycle):
-Approx 68,911 signatures by August 2013, max 25% from any one county
- Wait for the legislature to do nothing though May 1, 2014
- Additional 11,485 signatures, June 2014
- Appears on ballot, Nov 2014.
- Needs 30% of voters to vote in affirmative, and a majority of voters who vote on the question to vote affirmative. (ie. it needs to "win", but if too many people skip the question it still loses)

You think it would pass? It would rely on educating the masses - which don't pay attention to anything other than Jersey Shore, getting their EBT funds to buy ice cream for their ill behaved children on the weekends.....

I think it would fail badly. I don't think we should subjugate our rights to the will of the majority. No... I think the best plan is to get it thrown out in court and establish case law that forever prevents its return.

Exercise in futility. You live in a state that elected Deval, Kerry, Kennedy, Tierney, and Fauxcahontas in a sweep. If you think an AWB repeal is coming from a ballot, I have a rusty bridge for sale. Yeah it's right over there.

Ahh there it is, about as useful as a AWB repeal initiative.

dbareal-bridge-900ps-1.jpg

The only way this will be won is in the courtroom or from the rooftops. You need at least 5 more years of MAJOR pro-gun court victories and a barrage of pro-2A education across the state before something like that would have a ice cubes chance in hell on a ballot in MA.

Plain and simple. Your efforts are more effective being channeled elsewhere like stopping them from making the situation worse.

Honestly, how could anyone on this list think that this would benefit gun owners in Massachusetts? People are so clueless when it comes to firearms in this state! I have had multiple conversations with close friends and family that know nothing and will not listen to reason. Just recently I was talking to a close friend of mine who said that she "knew" that a machine gun was used in Newtown and handguns would not have done as much damage. People are so screwed up here when it comes to firearms and I can only see them saying "good let's ban them" regardless of what's on the books. It can only do more harm.

From a strategic perspective, this is the wrong way to do it.

In terms of the gun control laws in MA, the AWB isn't even the most onerous right now. The may issue LTC is way worse. Further, Patrick and Linsky's bills are still in play.

Even if you wanted to get rid of the AWB, you'd probably have more success pushing it through the legislature.

How about the 'Repealing ineffective gun control laws and diverting attention to the connection between mental health and crime act of America". It even sounds like something a politician would come up with, I even added the 'of America' part at the end to make it sound extra fancy and patriotic. Two can play this game. :)

Details of the RIGCLDACBMHCAA:

1. Repeal all gun control laws which unconstitutionally affect law-abiding citizens and do nothing to stop or hinder criminals: e.g. Repeal all magazine capacity limits, repeal AWB laws which are applied to firearms that are not assault weapon bans (like silly laws on telescoping stocks and pistol grips)

2. Strengthen Concealed Carry laws: Make conceal carry permits extend to all 50 states. If you are deemed responsible enough to carry in one state, then you are responsible enough to carry in all 50.

3. Divert all wasted money on ineffective gun control laws towards research into violent crimes (not limited to guns) committed while taking mind-altering prescription drugs.

And there you have it. The RIGCLDACBMHCAA.

Oh yea, I should add that the RIGCLDACBMHCAA would not just target violence towards others, but also self-inflicted. Last I checked, the number of suicides have outnumbered homicides each year since 2009, and almost all (suicides AND homicides) are tied to the same group of prescription drugs. How's that for a 'sensible' approach to curbing violence?

This should be planned along with a massive educational effort.

The average non-gun owner doesn't even know what they don't know.

Before you even start thinking of doing that - honestly I think what is needed is a massive campaign to educate people on THE FACTS.

The facts are that only a very small percentage of murders are committed with a RIFLE - and "assault weapons" are a subset of that.

The facts are the most murders occur in urban areas with over 250,000 people

The facts are that when civilians own guns - VIOLENT CRIME GOES DOWN

The facts are that in areas where guns are banned (Shitcago, D.C. , Boston, etc) - VIOLENT CRIME GOES UP

The facts are that Shitcago - which is virulently anti-gun - is the murder capital of the United States

The facts are that before every genocide that has happened in the last century - they were ALWAYS preceded by gun control and then gun confiscation

The facts are that you actually have a higher chance of dying thru genocide - than thru regular murder.

The facts are that civilians shoot innocent people LESS often than the police do in situations where either is dealing with a criminal.

The facts are the the police themselves have said that the AR-15 is the perfect self defense firearm.

The facts are completely on our side. We need to start HAMMERING people on the FACTS. I honestly think that there is a vast amount of people out there who are looking for the TRUTH. I also think people aren't "stupid" - they are just overwhelmed with a massive amount of bullshit and lies and deception from the government itself and the anti-gun crowd.

I would like to see a guerilla marketing campaign to get the FACTS out there. Leave postcards on subway cars. In malls. In people's mailboxes. Link the postcard to a website which clearly and eloquently discusses the actual facts behind gun control and gun ownership. Blanket the damn state with them - let the FACTS seep into people's heads. You will probably NEVER convince the moonbats and hoplophobes - but that's not who you're looking to convince anyway.

Convince the people "in the middle" - and the moonbats will become irrelevant.

Once you've got critical mass - that's when you start pushing to repeal the laws. In fact the repeal effort will likely happen "naturally" because so many people will now find the laws just simply ridiculous.

Exercise in futility. You live in a state that elected Deval, Kerry, Kennedy, Tierney, and Fauxcahontas in a sweep. If you think an AWB repeal is coming from a ballot, I have a rusty bridge for sale. Yeah it's right over there.

Ahh there it is, about as useful as a AWB repeal initiative.

dbareal-bridge-900ps-1.jpg

The only way this will be won is in the courtroom or from the rooftops. You need at least 5 more years of MAJOR pro-gun court victories and a barrage of pro-2A education across the state before something like that would have a ice cubes chance in hell on a ballot in MA.

+1

I like the idea. Someone in another thread said "strike while the iron is hot". Right now people are calling themselves "activists' and even new pro 2A organizations are being formed. There are record gun sales. To me it seems like a good time to make a move.

Focus on repeated, focused education to the masses and elected officials to change sentiment. This will take time. Drive for repeal through the Courts, not the MA sheeple or Legislature.

An educational campaign is an excellent idea. We need to counter the lies. Letter to the editor campaigns, facebook, twitter, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom