• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting single stage press...extra stuff??

I'm going to be reloading rifle brass in a single stage press. Right now I've got a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme in one cart and a set of Hornady Lock and Load Bushing in another. I have the dies from my Dillon. I'm trying to figure out what powder measure to get. Being Thanksgiving and not much to do at the moment, I'm going to clean the reloading bench and hope someone reads this and points me in a sensible direction.

I just bought the kit from Lee, though I'm sure RCBS sells similar products. The kits come with everything you need.

You'll need a scale in addition to your powder measure.

Just one caliber? Any measure should work once you get it calibrated.

Cabela's has that press on sale for $329, free shipping code 6HOLIDAY, not sure if you have a better price than that.

Do you have a good set of calipers?

I love my Hornady lnl press, but those die bushings get expensive when loading multiple calibers. I probably have $100 in extra bushings alone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9YKW60/ref=dp_cerb_1

Don't know what you might have already.
Don't know enough about the rcbs powder drop

I have the hornady powder drop works well even with course stick ammo.
Occasional bind with 4064.
Even still if you have a few of the items in this kit you can put them on eBay and recoup 100$ or so.
Check the new nosler manual is 25$

- - - Updated - - -

I love my Hornady lnl press, but those die bushings get expensive when loading multiple calibers. I probably have $100 in extra bushings alone.

This is true and I say it was money well spent. My dies are locked in tight to the bushings and it's just a matter of in and out as I change cal.
You end up in the same position with die heads on the progressives.

Cabela's has that press on sale for $329, free shipping code 6HOLIDAY, not sure if you have a better price than that.

Do you have a good set of calipers?
I'm getting just the press ($130), bushing kit ($10), and powder drop (???). I already have a scale (Hornaday GS1500) and 3 different calipers to check against. Also have several manuals and a hand primer.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

The only powder measures I have are the Hornady that's on my progressive press and the Lee perfect powder measure for coarse stick powders like IMR-4064. I recommend both.

Last edited:
Honestly, spend the money on the RCBS Chargemaster and never look back. I spent years fumbling with long stick powders in a Lee perfect powder measure (arguably the best one for them), and finally spoiled myself with the electronic dispenser. Not only is it accurate, but it makes my single-stage loading go so much smoother.

Well right now I have a Rock Chucker and Uniflow coming from Brownells and a stand and die bushing kit coming from Amazon.

Well right now I have a Rock Chucker and Uniflow coming from Brownells and a stand and die bushing kit coming from Amazon.

Id have asked BEFORE I ordered, but that's okay.

My rec? Lee Perfect Powder. I'm never sure why people shit on Lee; I'm not a monster-volume reloader, and their products have never once let me down.

My rec? Lee Perfect Powder. I'm never sure why people shit on Lee; I'm not a monster-volume reloader, and their products have never once let me down.

They are flimsy and cheap but it works 10x better than my Hornady powder measure with IMR-4064 powder.

People shit on Lee for several reasons.
IMHO Lee originally marketed to people who could actually fix or modify things that didn't have a lot of extra money for expensive stuff. Lee fits a economical slot that no other manufacture can. Just look at the bullet molds. They are great for the price.
You get the entire mold for under 40$ and often under 30$
I have had a few Lee pressses over the years and yes I needed to tinker with them to get them running smoothly....I knew this going in though.
Lee has some cheap stuff but so far everything had worked as good as the price point.
I have the new Lee auto drum and it works well even with stick powder.
Lee custmer service is good also.

Did you use coupon code L6K for 25$ off and free shipping?
I'm currious though if it works on items already on sale?

Last edited:
look into buying a kit with the extras you need/want instead of cheaping it out one at a time. you can sell the stuff you don't want or already have but from experience i've learned to keep everything if you're going to load seriously. buy right the first time. you're going to have it for the rest of your life.

lee, i use a hand primer tool and own one set of dies. most of their major tools are pot metal. i've yet to hear of one breaking but but for a few bucks more there's more stuff available that appear to be made better. i've found everyones customer service is good

Lets say I was starting from scratch, and looking at
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker...&sr=8-10&keywords=rcbs+uniflow+powder+measure

What else would I need (Other than bullets, primers, brass) for reloading .762x51 and .556?

Dies, brass tumbler (dry or wet media), media separator, case trimmer (billion threads and opinions on which one to use...), caliper, bullet puller, something to remove the crimp in the primer pockets (many products for that such as the Weldon 90 degree deburring bit).

Dies, brass tumbler (dry or wet media), media separator, case trimmer (billion threads and opinions on which one to use...), caliper, bullet puller, something to remove the crimp in the primer pockets (many products for that such as the Weldon 90 degree deburring bit).

Thanks

RCBS Uniflows.

I prefer the Hornady L-N-L powder measures, but the Uniflows are almost as good, and I got a wicked deal on them.

Even for extruded? I've only used dillon, lyman, and frankford arsenal measures but they all sucked in comparison to the PPM for varget, 4831sc, etc.

Been looking into this more myself. I shoot pretty much .45acp and .22 exclusively so I'd be setting up for .45

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LEE-2016-50Th...3Ae902141c1580a2a215035b12ffdf5a06%7Ciid%3A17

thoughts on this setup? I know everyone seems to like the rockchucker but being on a tight budget (2 little ones with a stay at home wifey) and not knowing how much time I would actually have to reload this setup appealed to me, based on what I have read it would probably take some doing to get it all dialed in but I figure I'm up to it

Been looking into this more myself. I shoot pretty much .45acp and .22 exclusively so I'd be setting up for .45

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LEE-2016-50Th...3Ae902141c1580a2a215035b12ffdf5a06%7Ciid%3A17

thoughts on this setup? I know everyone seems to like the rockchucker but being on a tight budget (2 little ones with a stay at home wifey) and not knowing how much time I would actually have to reload this setup appealed to me, based on what I have read it would probably take some doing to get it all dialed in but I figure I'm up to it

I bought this kit and I will say its tough to beat for the money. I will give you my take. again for the price it will load ammo and if your not sure your even going to load or get into it deeper its ok.

my thoughts

The press... it works its unrefined and pumps like a old worn out well hand pump. It will get the job done. Its about the only thing I have left from my kit.

SCALE: its one of the cheapest feeling scales I have ever laid hands on. to my surprise though it works and is .1ish grains with in all my other scales (yes I have accumulated several Reading 505, rcbs 505 and Hause (sp) beam scale. along with a few digital scales. If your not changing loads often or checking multiple range of weights its ok. Its a pain in the ass (for me anyway ) to zero and adjust. I gave it away for what its worth.

LEE SAFETY PRIME..... it worked.... well until I bumped into it and it blew into several pieces. Never bothered to replace it.

LEE quick trim my kit had the ball handle type trimmer... I have used the quick trim and it seems to work is any better than a lathe style trimmer. only thing I didn't like is it covers the press with shavings. I don't know where my lee trimmer is these days.
The case prep tools do what they are supposed to and they are still in my prep box.

powder funnel works although I dropped mine and it cracked...still works... Key thing there LEE plastic is pretty fragile.

powder measure.... it works I use it for small batch testing here and there. Again the plastic is fragile so dropping it or banging into it can stop you in your tracks.... the powder measure mount sucks?

The bad things
The primers drop out the bottom so you need to rig up some some sort of collection system. I just put a small bucket on the floor and let them drop in...
only comes with 1 breach lock adapter so you will need more...
The kit does not come with the quick mount shown in the picture... I wont say you need it but it comes in handy for my little area... Also if you have little space like me and up grade to say a pro 1000 buy extra steel mounting plates and quick change brackets. I put my pro1000 over in the corner on the foundation knee wall ledge when not in use.
When I resize bottle neck cases I swear I can see the press flex... I feel like it will break. I use the challenger press for small batches of pistol. 9x18 and 32sw for the most part.

Also not Lee so far has failed to charge me for any replacement parts for any lee product I have needed parts for. WARNING their shipping cost is stiff so be sure to order everything you think your going to need. If its a warranty issue lee will ship you replacement parts IF you mail them in.. you save a few bucks on shipping that way.

I have the lee pro 1000 also and have done a review on that...

I had the lee classic turret press for 32sw but have since sold that press.... those are ok for the money also for small scale loading.

for ease of use a a single stage is by far the simplest route.

TIME: Good luck case prep is going to be the biggest consumer. I usually do a few late Friday and Saturday night case prep marathons... kids go to bed I take a nap get up around 10pm and go crazy for 3-4 hours. I have prepped enough pistol brass to last me 2 years worth of shooting, rifle brass about a season and a half worth.

good luck...

Last edited:

That's exactly my setup. It works perfectly well. It took very little effort to get it to work well, though the instructions are poor.

Don't listen to the Lee haters. It's bargain-basement stuff and probably imperfect compared to some, but it's very adequate for those of us who don't reload in volume.

That's exactly my setup. It works perfectly well. It took very little effort to get it to work well, though the instructions are poor.

Don't listen to the Lee haters. It's bargain-basement stuff and probably imperfect compared to some, but it's very adequate for those of us who don't reload in volume.

Correct it does everything lee says it will do for a price no one else can come close to...
Is it the best, no. Is it the fastest , no. Can most people tell properly loaded ammo on LEE vs Dillon no.

The directions for all reloading stuff are far from crystal clear from first try at it.
My Hornady single stage press instructions do not make it clear the highest point of the rams travel is not with the handle all the way down...

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for, like I said with 2 kids and my wife I don't have much time for anything these days but would like to try it out, right now I'm shooting maybe 400rds of .45 a month so I don't think I'll have much trouble keeping up with my current demand, I've got about 1000rds of once fired brass to start out.

Whats the most economical way to prep cases?

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for, like I said with 2 kids and my wife I don't have much time for anything these days but would like to try it out, right now I'm shooting maybe 400rds of .45 a month so I don't think I'll have much trouble keeping up with my current demand, I've got about 1000rds of once fired brass to start out.

Whats the most economical way to prep cases?

Dish washer...
Soapy water and a strainer
Rag with mineral spirits
Wipe on shirt.

Back
Top Bottom