• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting single stage press...extra stuff??

If you just want to try reloading get one of these.

Didnt realize they they had something like this.. For $30 I'll probably give it a go, thanks for the tip. Also didn't know that cleaning could be so simple. Again I'm super new to this and assumed you needed a media tumbler or something like that

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a Lee single stage kit would be fine to start, the only thing I would definitely upgrade is the scale. If you decide to upgrade to a progressive or turret you can always find a use for a single stage.
I think most Lee products are fine and a great value. You have to tinker and sometimes modify with Lee stuff to get it to work perfectly,but I think most people who enjoy reloading like to tinker with stuff anyway.

The Lee kit referenced on the ebay link a few responses up appears to be an excellent value. So much that I'm wondering if anything's wrong with it? A Lee press will run you about $100, the powder measure (excellent for stick powders) is $20 - you're already up to the price of the kit. You're essentially getting the other stuff for free.

I use a Lee single stage press to reload thousands of bottleneck rifle rounds a year. And don't see any reason to change. Don't load much, if any, pistol these days but have run pistol on it as well (although, 30 carbine is kind of like loading pistol). A lot of guys crap on Lee stuff, but my response is - the rounds I make with my Lee reloading gear still find their way to the 10 and x ring when I do my part.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for, like I said with 2 kids and my wife I don't have much time for anything these days but would like to try it out, right now I'm shooting maybe 400rds of .45 a month so I don't think I'll have much trouble keeping up with my current demand, I've got about 1000rds of once fired brass to start out.

Whats the most economical way to prep cases?

$102 shipped. Has everything you need. Media, polish, tumbler, and rotary separator. Mine has been running strong for 4 years.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/media-separator-kit

The Lee kit referenced on the ebay link a few responses up appears to be an excellent value. So much that I'm wondering if anything's wrong with it? A Lee press will run you about $100, the powder measure (excellent for stick powders) is $20 - you're already up to the price of the kit. You're essentially getting the other stuff for free.

I use a Lee single stage press to reload thousands of bottleneck rifle rounds a year. And don't see any reason to change. Don't load much, if any, pistol these days but have run pistol on it as well (although, 30 carbine is kind of like loading pistol). A lot of guys crap on Lee stuff, but my response is - the rounds I make with my Lee reloading gear still find their way to the 10 and x ring when I do my part.

Nothing wrong with it. It used to cost $109; inflation.

SpencerT, I wouldn't bother with the Lee Loader when you can get all the rest of it for $80 more. I just don't see the value. The Loader works well, but at 400/month it'll get extremely tedious.

I set myself up with a Harbor Freight dry tumbler for like $30 or so.

Back
Top Bottom