• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting delays. just got a 1 month delay on long gun

I just got a delay on a long arm purchase. Until January 30th 2015..Thats not a normal delay length of time on a long gun is it? I thought it was 3 days then they can release it..guess Im wrong. Has anyone ever called on a delay to find out whats going on with it..is there a number? Is it just banging your head against the wall?Im guessing my only real action is to just wait..but still would like to find out why I keep getting delays..and why this one is so long. I dont have a very common name FYI. Probably going to look into a UPIN..if anyone has opinions on those please let me know how it worked out for you..delays stop?

It was a semi auto .308 (Ma. compliant) from Classic Firearms . The FFL is also a lawyer who works with Comm2a(not going to say his name though).

- - - Updated - - -

Happy New Year to you as well!!

i called to figure out why i kept getting delays. turns out its from an arrest when i was 14 which all the charges were dismissed bt they never updated the info with the fbi. i called the nics number. have to look it up in my history as i don't know it. they said have my city hall update it with the fbi and it should stop. i will look up the number and see if they can tell you why you keep getting delays.
I just got a delay on a long arm purchase. Until January 30th 2015..Thats not a normal delay length of time on a long gun is it? I thought it was 3 days then they can release it..guess Im wrong. Has anyone ever called on a delay to find out whats going on with it..is there a number? Is it just banging your head against the wall?Im guessing my only real action is to just wait..but still would like to find out why I keep getting delays..and why this one is so long. I dont have a very common name FYI. Probably going to look into a UPIN..if anyone has opinions on those please let me know how it worked out for you..delays stop?

IIRC, the law only allows a 3 business day delay (not counting the day of inquiry). I do not think they can legally require a 30 day delay. Sounds to me like a gun dealer policy, not law.

Thanks for the info..I found out the 30 days is the expiration of the check..if after 30 days the FFL has not received a response, he can cancel the check and walk away from the transaction. After 3 days he can release it if he hasnt heard back from Nics. I feel like the FFL should have known that. Very nice guy, but I wont be using him again..

Thanks for the info..I found out the 30 days is the expiration of the check..if after 30 days the FFL has not received a response, he can cancel the check and walk away from the transaction. After 3 days he can release it if he hasnt heard back from Nics. I feel like the FFL should have known that. Very nice guy, but I wont be using him again..

The dealer can complete the transfer to you if 3 business days have gone by and he has not been updated with a proceed or deny. Or, he can say "screw it, Im waiting for the call from NICS to come back first", or he can say, "sorry here is your money back". He doesn't need to wait 30 days to change his mind.

What am I missing here? A delay on a purchase in MA? I know I've been out of the loop for a while but why would there be a waiting period in MA?

Yes, delay is three business days (days STATE offices are open, not Fed) not counting day of inquiry. The NICS approval is good for thirty days from date of inquiry, not day of answer. If you are approved and don't pick up firearm within 30 days then another NICS inquiry has to be done.

What am I missing here? A delay on a purchase in MA? I know I've been out of the loop for a while but why would there be a waiting period in MA?

It's not a MA waiting period, ots a federal background check delay. Completely different.

Back
Top Bottom