General Gun Storage Question, Need Answer ASAP

If someone were to retain their license but needed to store their guns off their property, and not at the property of a friends or a storage unit, where could they store them? Can/will any FFLs take possession and hold guns (for a fee) for any period of time? What are the numbers/contact info for some of the bonded warehouses in Mass? This would be in the greater Boston area. Again, friends place and storage unit are not an option.

Thanks

Mike

For free? I doubt it unless you have a good friend who is an FFL. Even then........

Bonded warehouse is where the PD stashes your confiscated stuff until you run up enough of a "storage charge" (ransom) to forfeit them.

By the FFL "holding" the guns for someone, are they now transferred on to the FFLs books? If some of the guns are no go for MA, can the FFL not release them back to the original owner? Will the guns still legally (on paper) be the property of the original owner?

A nominal fee would be acceptable in this case.

Mike

Mike,

An FFL could do it. Don't know of any who do however.

Bonded warehouse means that the guns will disappear or you'll pay more than they are worth to get them back. They rape people on the fees.

A storage unit probably would cost no more than $80-100/month and would be cheaper (assuming 5 or more guns) than a bonded warehouse by a large amount! You just don't tell them what you are storing and make it non-obvious when you move them in there. Don't know why this wouldn't be an option, but if so from what you posted an FFL is all that is left.

If you do business with an FFL and have a decent relationship with the owner, they may be willing to do it for you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

If someone were to retain their license but needed to store their guns off their property, and not at the property of a friends or a storage unit, where could they store them? Can/will any FFLs take possession and hold guns (for a fee) for any period of time? What are the numbers/contact info for some of the bonded warehouses in Mass? This would be in the greater Boston area. Again, friends place and storage unit are not an option.

Thanks

Mike

I would just have a licensed friend hold them. If you wanted to make is official you could draft up a letter explaining that the person is holding your weapons & may not transfer the w/o permission. AND get it notarized at your local bank.

I have personally don't this for a friend that was going through a NASTY divorce. He wanted to be safe & have proof that he did not have possession of them.

By the FFL "holding" the guns for someone, are they now transferred on to the FFLs books? If some of the guns are no go for MA, can the FFL not release them back to the original owner? Will the guns still legally (on paper) be the property of the original owner?

A nominal fee would be acceptable in this case.

Mike

This is not a problem, as there is a difference between "on the FFL's books" and a "transfer" as far as the DPRM is concerned. Consider, for example, the case where you take a gun to an FFL for repair, cleaning or scope mounting. The FFL must log it into his/her bound book if keeping it overnight, but such is not an FA-10able transaction.

A characteristic of "bonded warehouses" is that they get most of their fees from clients who do not have the ability to negotiate a fee so they tend to be high, and are accompanied with policies that are designed to service the customer in same manner that a bull services a cow. Better bet is to find a friendly FFL to do storage. There is no requirement said FFL be a "bonded warehouse" unless it is receiving an involuntary transfer after police confiscation.

This is not a problem, as there is a difference between "on the FFL's books" and a "transfer" as far as the DPRM is concerned. Consider, for example, the case where you take a gun to an FFL for repair, cleaning or scope mounting. The FFL must log it into his/her bound book if keeping it overnight, but such is not an FA-10able transaction.

This is true, but many FFLs don't see it that way so check with the FFL in advance. The FFL should only need to NICS check you and verify the MA LTC before returning the guns.

I know the OP said it wasn't an option, but you can leave your firearms with another FID/LTC holder, right? I mean, if I have a friend I trust enough, do I need to do any paperwork or anything or can he just hold them for me?

Yes. Being in the military guns get passed around like wives when guys deploy.

As far as paperwork fa-10s have a box for loans, but none of us ever used them on deployments.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

yea im pretty curious if its illegal or just heavily frowned upon to store hand guns in a bank vault box.

I doubt it is illegal since it is rented property, and the the bank does not even keep a key to the box.
Well, rental properties come with a rental contract, and most bank safety deposit boxes have a rental contract that includes something like:
(taken from here: http://www.coventrycu.org/home/fiFiles/static/documents/COV-1010 Safe Deposit Box Agreement.pdf )

Items Stored. You agree not to store any:
• guns, ammunition, explosives, or other items we may believe to be dangerous, or
• liquids, or hazardous waste material
• items that we may conclude would interfere with the operation of the safe box vault, or
• property the possession of which would be a violation of law.
If we know or have reason to suspect you store these items, we may turn the box’s contents over to the police or other legal authorities, or permit those authorities to inspect the box’s contents, including any item stored in violation of this lease.

Indeed, the bank is able to open any safe deposit box, and must do so in some circumstances.

Well, rental properties come with a rental contract, and most bank safety deposit boxes have a rental contract that includes something like:
(taken from here: http://www.coventrycu.org/home/fiFiles/static/documents/COV-1010 Safe Deposit Box Agreement.pdf )

Items Stored. You agree not to store any:
• guns, ammunition, explosives, or other items we may believe to be dangerous, or
• liquids, or hazardous waste material
• items that we may conclude would interfere with the operation of the safe box vault, or
• property the possession of which would be a violation of law.
If we know or have reason to suspect you store these items, we may turn the box’s contents over to the police or other legal authorities, or permit those authorities to inspect the box’s contents, including any item stored in violation of this lease.

Indeed, the bank is able to open any safe deposit box, and must do so in some circumstances.

The bank is "able to open" a box by physically breeching the container (generally by drilling, punching or using an HPC safe deposit box nose puller), however, this is subject to strict regulation and legal process - the bank cannot go on a fishing expedition. Banks do not keep a key to the box on file, and locks are rearranged, and both the keys to the renter's lock (two locks on each box, one uses the bank key and one uses the renter's key). Also, banks tend not to have equipment or training to do this, and call in a locksmith when the service is needed.

Bank safe deposit boxes generally use decent quality lever tumbler locks which tend to be rather manipulation resistant.

If you ever notice the person at the bank helping you with your box go through several keys to find the correct "bank key", it's probably because some of the locks have been replaced and the bank did not have a new batch of locks made that use the same bank key when it ordered additional inventory.

Also, I asked if there was any cite it was "illegal" - violation of a rental contract is generally a civil tort, not a crime.

Last edited:
Many years ago when my collection was modest, I locked my handguns (and bolt to the rifle) in the bank safe deposit box while on vacation.

A good friend and former co-worker told me that he left his machine guns in a bank vault when he left NH to take a job at Microsoft in Redmond, WA. I never asked details about it. I suspect some depends on the bank (attitude of owner/management) but keep in mind that you go into the box in private . . . they aren't supposed to know what's in there. So as long as you don't leave a dead fish in there (I was once told a story about this) they will never know.

It's not something I would worry about nor ask permission for, I'd just do it if practical! No laws would be violated and empty guns aren't "dangerous" by themselves so you aren't endangering the bank or any person by doing so.

Cue up the hysterics about how you'd be violating the bank's property rights.

Indeed!

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the standard MA apartment rental agreement had wording that if read literally would prohibit possession of guns and other "dangerous" items on the property! Again, I'd do what I wanted and wouldn't worry about the fine print and BS issues.

Back
Top Bottom