Gave in and ordered my reloading set-up

Finally gave in to the reloading bug and put my order in last night. Ouch $

Here is what I got so far.

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press with dust cover

Hornady Dies & Shell Plates for 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 223 Rem

Lyman 1500 XP Electronic Powder Scale 1500

Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer with all needed pilots and dust cover

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator

RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller

Hornady Case Care Kit

Hornady Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

I am sure Ill be sending ?? re set up, but I cannot wait to start.
Thanks Bruce

Eddie, I got the following smaller items as well....
Hornady Die Wrench, Bushings (10Pkg) Die Locking Rings (5ea) upgraded to larger cartridge container.

Now I just need to start saving my brass and get my powder and primers, and wait for my free bullets.

Ordered 1k 40 S&W
300 45 ACP

Any recommendations as far as brands of powder? I think I will use CCI primers from what I read.

I am sure it will be some trial and error but once I get rolling I will gladly share any info I can.

Good choice.... I load 9mm, .40 and .45ACP with mine and it's been great. Their dies are really nice as well. You can get free bullets for the press AND their dies.

Did you get the shell plate for the .45ACP specifically or the #1? There is a special plate for .45ACP only that holds the cases tighter- which helps when seating the primers.

Any recommendations as far as brands of powder? I think I will use CCI primers from what I read.

I use both Winchester and CCI primers without problems so far. I use Power Pistol for .40S&W and 9mm, W231 for .45ACP. I've played around with some others but these combos seem to be the best for me. I use 180gr for 40S&W and 230gr for .45ACP.

One thing you should get is the EGW undersize die for the .40S&W....regular dies don't often do the job on the 40s... ask me how I know.

Make sure you order the pistol rotor for the powder measure. It comes with the rifle rotor and it won't work well with small amounts.

Lugnut....I got the following shell plates

AND
#1 45 ACP

#31 just said 45 Auto Rim, I went with the #1 45 ACP Win Mag

Hope I got the right one, sounds like I did
Bruce

The number 1 is the right one. I use Winchester large pistol primers, 5.2grs of W231 for 230gr Hornady xtp's.

Claen the powder measure real good and run a little powder graphite through it before you start and you should have no problems.

Buggs100 "Clean the powder measure real good and run a little powder graphite through it before you start and you should have no problems"

I have read this many times and plan on doing it as well....
As far as powder I and going to use a few different and see what works best for me. I just read about some times primers can be temperamental and CCI always seem to work. But, I will probably experiment with those as well.
Thanks
Bruce

Bugs100 -- Clean the powder measure real good and run a little powder graphite through it before you start and you should have no problems.

I have read this many times and plan on doing it as well....
As far as powder I and going to use a few different and see what works best for me. I just read about some times primers can be temperamental and CCI always seem to work. But, I will probably experiment with those as well.
Thanks
Bruce

I will add a +1 to Titegroup. I use it for 40S&W, and it is a very clean powder! For 45ACP, there is no better or cleaner powder than Zip, from Ramshot!

Lugnut....I got the following shell plates

#1 45 ACP

Bruce, the #1 plate is designed for the .45ACP and some other rounds as well. However Hornady makes a shell plate specifically for just .45ACP- which I purchased direct. I wouldn't worry about it... just see how the #1 works for you.

When I got my press I got a little screwed up with the primer system. The main problem was it came with the large primer installed already but not tightened up.

The primer assembly works great but you have to keep it spotless. Any powder or dirt that ends up in the primer assembly can cause a lot of problems.

I take mine out about every 2000 rounds and hit it with a tooth brush.

Also the screw which holds the whole assembly in gets a little loose but you can tell by the tube shaking and all you can do is finger tighten it.

Bruce, you just spent a chunk of money!
It only hurts once, though. You bought high-quality equipment that won't have to be upgraded later. Your grandkids can use that same stuff when their time comes.

Tell me. I mean tell my wife :)
Honestly, with ammo prices you cannot afford not to reload.

Less than a year ago I bought a 100 round box of 40 S&W at Wal-Mart for around 14.00. Went to Salem, NH and bought same brand (Winchester USA) and paid 23.85 per 100.
I am going to a course in Maine end of the month and they require 1K of pistol and will not allow reloads. I am biting the bullet and still going to go and I will just go ahead and get the factory ammo for that. But you can assure my range / practice time will be using rounds I load from now on.

You'd be silly NOT reloading, and yes you will save money!

Some people will tell you that you won't save any money, but you will shoot a ton more for the same price. Well, before I started reloading I was buying the same amount of factory loaded ammo than I am shooting now as a reloader.

You'd be silly NOT reloading, and yes you will save money!

Some people will tell you that you won't save any money, but you will shoot a ton more for the same price. Well, before I started reloading I was buying the same amount of factory loaded ammo than I am shooting now as a reloader.

The trouble is most of us use the savings to shoot twice as much.

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom