Garand questions

This is why NES is such a great resource for shooters, you guys make it that way. Always willing to help us guys new to this, or any other type gun ! [thumbsup]

NES is the only reason I even learned how to post pics. I try to post info on my projects and include any
Links that helped me.

Here's another look at my other M1 project. More links in this one.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-special-Calling-it-DONE?highlight=New+barrel

Lots of info here too. http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85
"Files of Interest" thread is very helpful.

Last edited:
I am having a similar problem with my M1. It is a SA receivers, Criterion .308 barrel a Boyds stock. It is continually failing to feed then next round, after the first round of a new clip. The bolt will either fail to strip off a new round, but still cycle and close, or it seems to not go all the way back far enough, i.e. it comes to rest just before the rim of the next round and gets hung up. After reading this thread, I sanded down an area of the stock that seemed to be rubbed smooth from the op rod, and it passes the tilt test fine. I tried it today and the same malfunction occurred. Any thoughts? My next thought is the op rod spring, but this is my first Garand so I'm flying half blind here.......

I am having a similar problem with my M1. It is a SA receivers, Criterion .308 barrel a Boyds stock. It is continually failing to feed then next round, after the first round of a new clip. The bolt will either fail to strip off a new round, but still cycle and close, or it seems to not go all the way back far enough, i.e. it comes to rest just before the rim of the next round and gets hung up. After reading this thread, I sanded down an area of the stock that seemed to be rubbed smooth from the op rod, and it passes the tilt test fine. I tried it today and the same malfunction occurred. Any thoughts? My next thought is the op rod spring, but this is my first Garand so I'm flying half blind here.......

Is this a CMP SPECiAL in 308? If so it should be sent back to cmp. If not there are few places to check.
Gas plug,gas cylinder and oprod piston.
Also make sure the gas cylinder is installed so the gas port is exposed on the barrel. Make sure gas port is clean.
Sounds like your rifle is short stroking more than anything.
My advice is always. Start over. Do a complete detail strip and check for any odd wear or contact.
I had a front band that rubbed the Op rod hard. This turned out to be a crappy stock.

Start here
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html

Stock fitting problems.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147599

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I will try both the op rod spring and recheck the gas system along with a detailed strip. Rifle is giving me fits, and I was looking forward to enjoying it, but in an odd way I enjoy sorting them out. Merry Christmas and I will keep all posted...........

Thanks for the advice, I will try both the op rod spring and recheck the gas system along with a detailed strip. Rifle is giving me fits, and I was looking forward to enjoying it, but in an odd way I enjoy sorting them out. Merry Christmas and I will keep all posted...........

Is this a cmp special ?

Is this a cmp special ?

LOL, sounding familiar?

20thpzgr, if you do have a CMP Special it should at least be functional & the CMP should correct it. Though mine passed the tilt tests and it initally shot ok out of the box, I did have a couple glitches with my Special. Besides sights that were only tight enough to hold until I was in the middle of a match, I had some issues with clips hanging up and also a feeding issue. I ended up detail stripping my Special a second time and tumbled all my new clips. New clips had heavy, rough parkerize finish that needed tumbling. Ran like a champ last match and has always shot better than I do.

Anyway, also seems to me via your description it is short stroking- which points to a gas system issue.

LOL, sounding familiar?

20thpzgr, if you do have a CMP Special it should at least be functional & the CMP should correct it. Though mine passed the tilt tests and it initally shot ok out of the box, I did have a couple glitches with my Special. Besides sights that were only tight enough to hold until I was in the middle of a match, I had some issues with clips hanging up and also a feeding issue. I ended up detail stripping my Special a second time and tumbled all my new clips. New clips had heavy, rough parkerize finish that needed tumbling. Ran like a champ last match and has always shot better than I do.

Anyway, also seems to me via your description it is short stroking- which points to a gas system issue.

like anything they are not with out their own problems. Good thing is CMP is very good on customer service.

If you follow the detail strip,clean and lube the CMP has you will avoid many many pitfalls.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html

Some more useful info also

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/

Last edited:
No, the rifle is not a CMP special, at least I did not buy it from CMP. There are no CMP markings on the stock. I just stumbled upon it, had an M1 on the bucket list to keep the Mausers company and figured .308 is a bit cheaper than .30-06 so I bit. Pardon the ignorance, what is tumbling the clips?

No, the rifle is not a CMP special, at least I did not buy it from CMP. There are no CMP markings on the stock. I just stumbled upon it, had an M1 on the bucket list to keep the Mausers company and figured .308 is a bit cheaper than .30-06 so I bit. Pardon the ignorance, what is tumbling the clips?

Tumbling the clips= tossing them in a vibrating polish/cleaning tumbler.
I would take a good look at the gas cylinder lock screw valve make sure its ok and is not some adjustable aftermarket plug. Its quit amazing just how bad a op rod spring can be and still function. I have pulled op rod springs in 3 pieces from working M1s.

Gas plug, make sure the gas port on barrel is clear and it lines up with the square on the gas cylinder when installed on the barrel.

when all else seems a mystery start with the links in the post #39 start fresh

Last edited:
This is a .308 chambered garand so I think there's gotta be some difference in oprod spring and gas valve. I would assume it has an adjustable gas valve on it? If not it may need one

This is a .308 chambered garand so I think there's gotta be some difference in oprod spring and gas valve. I would assume it has an adjustable gas valve on it? If not it may need one

No other mods are needed. On the old converted M1s with the chamber adapter the navy drilled a larger gas port. A 308 barrel with a .089 .093 gas port hole should run any 308 nato ammo you come across.

Simple install 308 barrel , finish ream for headspace and all should be well. You could put the 308 "block" that keeps you from loading 3006 into the magazine.

Last edited:
No other mods are needed. On the old converted M1s with the chamber adapter the navy drilled a larger gas port. A 308 barrel with a .089 .093 gas port hole should run any 308 nato ammo you come across.

Simple install 308 barrel , finish ream for headspace and all should be well. You could put the 308 "block" that keeps you from loading 3006 into the magazine.

interesting, thanks!

interesting, thanks!

I will mention that the Italians converted M1s to 308 and did shorten them a 1/2" or so. Then had to modify the op rod and stock. Beretta and breda made the BM59
Some might say the 1st Gen M14

If I come across a good deal on a M1 with a worn barrel I plan on building a 308 next.

Took me a very long while since my first post to drag the Garand out to the range again. The only change I made to it was a new op rod spring from Orion7, as recommended by you fine folks. Went through five or six clips with just one stoppage so I'm quite happy. The brass isn't nearly as beat up anymore either.

Since this was more of a function and reliability check trip to the range, I was only shooting at 25 yards but I was hitting bullseyes. In the picture below, I shot the left target once and wanted to see if I actually hit the center so I switched to the right target for the following 15 shots. Very happy with this rifle.

Took me a very long while since my first post to drag the Garand out to the range again. The only change I made to it was a new op rod spring from Orion7, as recommended by you fine folks. Went through five or six clips with just one stoppage so I'm quite happy. The brass isn't nearly as beat up anymore either.

Since this was more of a function and reliability check trip to the range, I was only shooting at 25 yards but I was hitting bullseyes. In the picture below, I shot the left target once and wanted to see if I actually hit the center so I switched to the right target for the following 15 shots. Very happy with this rifle.

Nice all set for a 200 yard match with that zero

Back
Top Bottom