• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gallup Poll: Support for Gun Control Down

Garys

NES Member
http://www.gallup.com/poll/117361/Support-Gun-Control-Laws-Time-Lows.aspxBefore Recent Shootings, Gun-Control Support Was Fading

PRINCETON, NJ -- In Gallup polling conducted prior to last week's gun massacre at an immigrant center in Binghamton, N.Y., only 29% of Americans said the possession of handguns by private citizens should be banned in the United States. While similar to the 30% recorded in 2007, the latest reading is the smallest percentage favoring a handgun ban since Gallup first polled on this nearly 50 years ago.

No mention as to whether they intend to redo the poll soon.

I can't believe the people I know that are applying for their permits. When I got mine some of them raised eyebrows asking "What for?" Now these people are doing the classes and taking the steps to get theirs. I think a clear message is being sent by numbers that people want the right to bear arms.

The fact that 30% of Americans think we should ban handguns is scary IMO.

No, that seems about right. Roughly 2/3 of Americans are so stupid as to be incapable of intelligent thought. On any given issue, this 2/3 has a generally random opinion. So half of them, or about 1/3, want to ban handguns. Take any polarizing issue and about 1/3 of Americans are strongly for it or against it, almost guaranteed. I made this rule up years ago, and it is disturbing just how often it is correct.

That fact that 52% voted for Obama is even scarier. [frown]

You mean 52% of the people that actually voted. There's a big difference.

Keep in mind only 60-63% of those eligible actually bothered to vote.

That's almost as disturbing as Obama winning. It means that nearly 40% of the voting population simply doesn't care... well, or they're pissed off, or a mixture of both. [laugh]

-Mike

There was a time magazine article in the 80's that polled people on all sorts of things...

The ultimate conclusion of the article, whether intentional or not is that at least 30% of this nation is populated with complete idiots...

The one stat I always recall is that 30%+ thought you could boil radioactive milk and it would be ok...

"The Fringe" TM isn't 1%, 3% or even 10%, its 30 or more...

You mean 52% of the people that actually voted. There's a big difference.

Keep in mind only 60-63% of those eligible actually bothered to vote.

That's almost as disturbing as Obama winning. It means that nearly 40% of the voting population simply doesn't care... well, or they're pissed off, or a mixture of both. [laugh]

-Mike

I'd pick door #1. They don't care.

I work with a woman who has never voted in her life. Neither has her husband. I've tried to tell her how important it is, how men died to give her that right, and in this last presidential election, how much her life would change for the worse if she didn't get out and vote against the Usurper.

Nothing I said had any effect. She didn't vote. She just didn't care.

The numbers from 1959 - 1965 are interesting... I find it surprising that back in that time period, there was pretty strong support for a handgun ban.

Even more surprising is that the numbers start declining during the hippie/VietNam era and still continued to decline in 68 even after RFK and MLK were shot.

Argh. What a frustrating statistic. If you don't want a gun, fine. Don't get one.

I'm sure the same 30% argue "If you don' like an abortion, don't have one." Well, if you don't like handguns, don't buy one.

Should be a bumper sticker.

I am not suprised

there were 1,700,000 licensed gun owners in Mass now 260,000.that first number was more than voted in elections.think of what could happen if they all voted for pro gun legislaters.
where did they go??besides me.
a lot of people are like the rest of the world as long as they have food and do as they want they dont care who is in charge of the country.look at Germany,it did not take much to turn the people againts the jews enuf to kill and burn them.[sad2][rolleyes]

Coverage on the shootings is already fading out. That 'church camp' thing or whatever it was in Cali barely got any play here.

Sadly (but good for us) the public is jaded.

I'm not suggesting we ignore things, but I would be very, very surprised to find that Pelosi has enough support for any new anti-gun legislation.

Back
Top Bottom