• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G26 vs. G19 vs. G43 for carry

scatter

NES Member
Yes there are lots of threads that discuss these guns. Countless even. But I haven't seen a discussion about this direct comparison, and I'm a special snowflake anyway and should have my own thread. I'm sure the mods will recalibrate me if needed.

I carried a G26 Gen 3 during my three years in MA, mostly appendix, and still do. I would have liked to have had a G19, but there was that whole capacity thing going on up there.

Now I'm in a free state. I always thought that when we moved I would replace the G26 with a G19. With my body style and carry method, the 19 isn't that much different in terms of comfort and concealability from the 26. Plus I really want the Gen 4 style mag release. I have to move my hand on the 26 Gen 3 grip to get the mag to drop free.

Then the G43 came along, and I'm thinking I might want that instead. It's just new and cool and small. So I was considering "upgrading" my carry gun and now the appeal of the G43 has me considering "downgrading." Or I could just keep my G26, as a compromise. What to do?

Advantages of the G19 over the others (in my case):
Capacity
I would get the Gen 4 mag release
Probably could get it for less than the G43 because of the current demand signal
Most of my G26 holsters would work
I get another gun

Advantages of keeping the G26:
Zero dollars required for new gun and new holsters
No familiarization required to give me carry confidence
Uses every double stack Glock mag ever made. Might even be able to use a G43 mag; see Hickok45 video.

Advantages of the G43:
Thinner
Less weight
New and cool
Better mag release than my G26
I get another gun

The nice thing about this trilemma is that none of the options are bad. Something else to consider; my wife currently carries a BG380 and I intend to get her either a G42 or a G43 eventually, now that we can buy another Glock without the MA premium.

My primary carry piece is a G26. Ten rounds, easy to shoot. It works for me, YMMV.

Buy the 19 ,

hold and shoot both the 43 and the 42.. this will make the decision between the two easier..

for me i liked the 42 over the 43

Ditto on the 42 it just felt right. That being said I'll get a 43 the day they hit the list. But I'd go 19 not a fan of drawing the 26 style frame I have a 33 something about it I feel like I need to adjust my grip and I'm gunna let one fly. So the 33 sits home I carry an fn in the spring and fall a 42 in summer and a 20 in winter because why limit yourself to one carry gun

I realize people favor the 19 over the 26 with respect to shootability. However for me I find the G26 super easy to shoot andbe accurate. With flat baseplate i get a firm two finger grip and I can pull that trigger all day long. To me the reason to move up to G26 is for 1. i dont want to carry an backup mag or 2. I want option to run a light.

OP get a G43 too you will like it. Shoots beautiful too.

Hi,
From our experience I'd recommend G19 overall and the G43 as extreme hot weather/ankle back-up option.
If you are open minded there are other high quality pistols that may fit what you are looking for. Examples are -
Walther PPS, HK P30, Walther P99, S&W Shield or maybe a revolver for an option Ruger LCR .357.
I'd check out some other options. Glocks are great pistols but the Walthers are very well made German products as well.
Brian
Zero Hour Arms
(Oleg aka Alex owns the joint, I just work here [smile])

19, 26. 43

OWB, IWB, Pocket

You're comparing apples and oranges

No I'm comparing carry guns. Whatever I settle on, I will be carrying it appendix style. I'm currently carrying my G26 in a G19 AIWB holster, so an upgrade to G19 wouldn't require a new one. I did that on the assumption that I might upgrade some day, but mostly because the longer holster is less likely to try and "tip" over the front of the pants when carrying this way.

It does kinda seem like your comparing apples and oranges. Only thing they have in common is Glock and 9mm... I'd go 19 if you aren't worried about concealing it compared to the 26, I have a hard time caring a full size without printing to some extent personally so I would probably stick with the 26 personally.

You could always buy the 43 for your wife and test it extensively [grin]

I'll be going with the g43 or g42 once I convince my wife to get her license.....
Depends what caliber shes more comfortable with....

My new Gen 4 G26 came with 3 ten round magazines It can accommodate the G19 magazine. So I bought 2. It can also accommodate a 30 round magazine, I didn't buy that because it would take me a week to load! I don't live in mASS anymore and I'm constantly surprised by the available options. Not gloating, just commenting. [wink]

Best regards.

You claim to be a free man in a free state and you're limiting yourself to one more gun? You're a commie!!

You claim to be a free man in a free state and you're limiting yourself to one more gun? You're a commie!!

Tough to even squeeze one more in right now; we're in the process of building a house. I'm optimistically planning for the future and assuming we don't go broke. [grin]

G19 with a 15 Rd magazine inserted and a few 17rd magazines as spares.

Holy bat-cargo-belt batman! I don't even like carrying a spare 26 mag because of the bulk, but I've been trying various ways. One of the advantages of the 43 that I forgot to list is that spare mags would be easier to carry in a pocket. A "few" 17 mags?? Maybe I can convince my wife to pack them around for me. Hmmm.

i carry my glock 27. i would rather the bigger caliber in the same size package. But i have on order a bravo concealment dsg holster with the light for my g19 so things might change.

So I was in the LGS today to get the pinned comps removed from a couple of my ARs, long overdue since I moved out of MA last year. They had a G43 in stock but somebody had put it on layaway just an hour earlier. I looked at the price tag and had to blink twice. $380, or just over $400 with tax and out the door! It was the military price, but I qualify as a retired guy. So what do you suppose I did?

Yep, I put one on order. The guy said they get them pretty regularly, just not in quantity, so it shouldn't be too long. Now I just need to figure out how to tell the wife that the new house is going to be missing some window treatments so that "she" can have a new gun.

I've had worse problems. [smile] And assuming she doesn't kill me I can put the G19 on the Christmas list for me.

Back
Top Bottom