Fun things to shoot

Taking my dad, and my 6year old son to the range on fathers day. I'm looking for some ideas on some fun things to shoot with my 10/22's other than paper.
I'm bring balloons, golf balls w/T's, and my boy was nice enough to donate some action figures to the cause.

What are some other things you all have had fun plinking.

Taking my dad, and my 6year old son to the range on fathers day. I'm looking for some ideas on some fun things to shoot with my 10/22's other than paper.
I'm bring balloons, golf balls w/T's, and my boy was nice enough to donate some action figures to the cause.

What are some other things you all have had fun plinking.

a Porsche, this morning at the green members shoot.

if you dont have a porsche to spare, and you have a good 10/22, tape quarters to a paper at 100 yards. Or, put some clays at 100 yards. the .22 breaks them in half, and then breaks each half in half again, so then you get 4 small targets out of each clay. kinda fun, since they get smaller and smaller.

Last edited:
At an NES shoot in Shirley, they glued some golf balls onto strings and hung them out off the target stands... they were good reactive targets (until someone hit the strings)... then re-tie them and shoot some more!

Golf balls also bounce nicely when hit on a soft berm... Dwarven & I had some fun at one of the NES shoots popping the golf ball all over the berm.

For a brand new shooter, balloons make nice targets... Big & easy to pop. At an NES shoot, they don't last very long...

Necco wafers are still around. I shoot them in the back yard with air rifles. Empty soda cans don't always fall over when hit with a .22. I like charcoal briquettes hanging from strings. If it gets too easy, back up a little or try to hit them while they're swinging. Nothing to clean up. As soon as it rains, they go away.

My Sony Location Free box, I never did get that thing to work right...
Or a stainless bbq grill with bad burners and two wheels broken off. It's free! OK, I really just haven't gotten around to getting it to the dump yet.
Apples and 16 oz poland spring bottles have always been some of my favorites.

At an NES shoot in Shirley, they glued some golf balls onto strings and hung them out off the target stands... they were good reactive targets (until someone hit the strings)... then re-tie them and shoot some more!

Finally! A use for golf balls. I'll have to try that one. Do they ever break apart?

Necco wafers were fun for me years ago.I think they still make them?

They DO still make them, for reasons I can only guess at.
It is the only good use for an item that is an absolute travesty to the palate of anyone with a love for confections.

I guess I'm a litle boring: Watermelon, cans of seltzer, tomatoes, cigarettes, various loud toys supplied to my children by their grandparents (already retired by the kids), zombie doodles prepared for me by my son.

My range doesn't allow anything other than paper targets, which kind of stinks.

That said, I imagine propane cylinders might be fun. Also, just plain old milk jugs or soda bottles filled with water are fun too.

When we were kids, back before "environmentalism", we used to throw a can in the river, and try to sink it before it floats away.

Anything that is not glass from the recycling bin.

I like gallon milk containers filled with water or laundry detergent containers. 7.62 makes the milk containers explode pretty nice.

a porsche.

That has SO been done before.

DSCF1627.jpg

But a lot of fun![smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom