FRIEND BOUGHT A .22 RIFLE NO PAPERWORK - CAN HE REGISTER IT EFA 10 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cute, but this doesn't wash away the "original misdeed" (if any) so that entire thing is a huge waste of time. [rofl]

Nothing can erase any past misdeed, that wasn't the intent. The idea is to reduce the risk of it coming back at him. If everything goes wrong it'll be near impossible for LE to get the friend's name. I'd love to hear from an actual lawyer as to if this would offer some protection. I'm not saying anyone should do this, I'm just curious from an intellectual point of view.

That's cute, but this doesn't wash away the "original misdeed" (if any) so that entire thing is a huge waste of time. [rofl]

The more time the OP's friend spends paying attention to this non issue exponentially increases the odds of turning it into an actual issue, instead of just shutting his mouth and moving on with life. Usually when I hear these yarns my response is something like "If your friend is that worried about this, then he should sell his gun(s) to a dealer and not be a gun owner, it's obvious it's too much for him to handle mentally, at least in MA. "

-Mike

Technically, the friend isn't the one talking. It's our OP, LotsaTiques.

The friend may not even know this conversation is taking place!

Seriously, it is a .22 unless it was once owned by Teddy Roosevelt it isn’t even worth the electronic ink that has been spent on this thread — put it in the safe and call it a day.

[FONT=&quot]Hi All.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I want to thank everyone for all the great input and advice that was posted. I appreciate all your efforts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here's the follow-up -

My friend backtracked to the owner (licensed) of the .22 rifle and the eFA10 form was completed. Evidently not doing it originally just slipped through the cracks with all the hustle & bustle at the estate sale. In hindsight he understands now the importance of doing it at time of purchase and the potential legal issues that could come into play.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All is good now so you AG trolls can go back to your coffee & doughnuts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh yea, and just for clarification guys and gals.....I did make a very small mistake in my original posting, it wasn't a .22 rifle, ha.....dumb me, sorry.
[/FONT]

Nothing can erase any past misdeed, that wasn't the intent. The idea is to reduce the risk of it coming back at him. If everything goes wrong it'll be near impossible for LE to get the friend's name. I'd love to hear from an actual lawyer as to if this would offer some protection. I'm not saying anyone should do this, I'm just curious from an intellectual point of view.

IMHO a gun lawyer is going to tell them all to just shut up, stop flapping their arms, stop talking about it- and obey the laws going forward- because as far as all that other horseshit goes, there's no unringing the bell. The other
option is the lawyer is going to tell them "well, if you destroy the gun, then there's no longer a chain of anything that
can point at the malfeasance".

FWIW in MA there is a statute of limitations on paper gun violations BTW. I think its like 6 years or something
like that, maybe Len can remember what it is... but basically for most of the "ZOMG I DIDNT REGISTER THIS THE BOOGEYMEN ARE GONNA GIT ME!!!" types, if they wait long enough whatever "offense" happened WRT S128/B is essentially nullified. This is probably another reason why 128A/B case law is particularly scarce or nonexistant.

IMHO a far bigger risk here than actually getting prosecuted is an arm flapper running their mouth to police about it, thinking they're "doing the right thing" and then getting whacked on a suitability denial come renewal time. Doesn't matter what the law says or even requires a conviction, but if the rifle owner lives in a douche town and runs his mouth too much... well, we all know how that works.

Food for thought for those reading this thread... including the OP.... Lets say, if you accidentally blow through a red light while speeding, or a stop sign, but yet, no accident happens, or anything close to it- do you call the cops and ask them what you should do about it? No. You shut your ****ing mouth and you act like it never happened- and then mentally make efforts to make sure it doesn't happen again to just reduce the risk going forward. That's what most normal people do. This situation to me isn't really any different.

Also a little bit of a tangent.... because the supreme court ****ed up Abramski, btw, the concept of "washing" earlier misconduct via FFL transfers is legally dubious at best. Abramski proved that this doesn't work, at least as far as the feds are concerned, at least as far as straws are concerned. (The original purchaser actually got an FFL transfer from the straw buyer but this was STILL not enough to "wash" the original transaction to make everything legal.... ) That obviously is feds, but similar kind of idea.

The correct answer in these cases is "WHAT? I don't remember. I don't recall." I bought this rifle years ago. Paperwork? What paperwork? I have paperwork from when I sold it to joe so and so, he had an LTC, heres the FA-10 copy, etc. But I don't have anything from back when I bought it. "

-Mike

Is there any way someone can run the serial number just to see if it was stolen?

Sure, cops can do this. But if it's stolen, be ready to turn it in and explain how it came into your possession. And if it's not a really good story you'll, at a minimum, be hit with possession of stolen property.

Sure, cops can do this. But if it's stolen, be ready to turn it in and explain how it came into your possession. And if it's not a really good story you'll, at a minimum, be hit with possession of stolen property.
Yes.. But would it be worse for him to keep it and then sell it in the future and be the seller of stolen property? He'd be putting the serial number into the fa10 form when he sells it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes.. But would it be worse for him to keep it and then sell it in the future and be the seller of stolen property? He'd be putting the serial number into the fa10 form when he sells it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You really think anyone checks FA-10 registrations with NCIC????? Really???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom