Free lock picking class in Portsmouth November 2nd

Hiltonizer

Banned
Last edited:
It is a useful skill, come in handy many times when keys are lost/misplaced. The only warning is most folks don't realize how crap most locks are, not tthat it matters windows are still made of glass.

does one need their own set?
If you don't have a set and aren't in a hurry, I got mine from DealExtreme for around $6. Came with most of the basic pick profiles. The included tension wrench could be a bit better - It's kind of thick, which limits your workspace. Other than that, the only other downside is the 2-3 week wait for shipping.

Super easy to pick most home locks. It's not a hard skill, only one pad lock I had took me more than 30 seconds to pick. Not even sure why crooks smash glass any more. If you have a standard home lock, don't trust it.

It's a good skill to know. But I doubt you need to take a class. I remember going to a girlfriends new house, it was in a new condo complex. she wanted to show it to me, but the door was locked. I took a quick look and asked if she had a a store rewards card, she gave it to me and we were in in 5 sec. I told her to get a new lock ASAP. She was shocked.

Super easy to pick most home locks. It's not a hard skill, only one pad lock I had took me more than 30 seconds to pick. Not even sure why crooks smash glass any more. If you have a standard home lock, don't trust it.

It's a good skill to know. But I doubt you need to take a class. I remember going to a girlfriends new house, it was in a new condo complex. she wanted to show it to me, but the door was locked. I took a quick look and asked if she had a a store rewards card, she gave it to me and we were in in 5 sec. I told her to get a new lock ASAP. She was shocked.

That's not picking a lock. That is taking advantage of a shitty carpenter that did not install the lockset correctly.

The standard for professional picks is HPC - generally available from lock distributors catering to the trade rather than businesses like Southern Ord that specifically target hobbyists and non-locksmiths.

It was a good class. Thanks to the guys from TOOOL for your time. And a nice work space there as well. Good to meet other NESers there.

If there are any more classes, I would be interested. I bought my first lock pick set last week. The beginner guide it came with is utter crap, and I can't seem to get the pins to stick in place no matter how much or how little tension I put on the lock.. They immediately pop back down the instant I move the pick away. I have no idea what I am doing.

The beginner guide it came with is utter crap, and I can't seem to get the pins to stick in place no matter how much or how little tension I put on the lock.. They immediately pop back down the instant I move the pick away. I have no idea what I am doing.
It helps to choose a good first lock to practice with. Easiest is to go to the local big box store and pick up a Defiant or Kwikset deadbolt. There are online guides to show how to take the cylinder apart and remove all but one of the pins, like the practice locks TOOOL supplies for the class.

If there are any more classes, I would be interested. I bought my first lock pick set last week. [/QUOTE=Prepper;2981909]
Next local TOOOL meeting is the 3rd Sunday of March in Boston, or April in Portsmouth.

Last edited:
I attended a class hosted by GraniteSec (Twitter:@granitesec) in January. Basically TOOOL brought about a hundred locks and stacks of picks, and gave pointers when people got stuck.

If there's sufficient interest, I could look into arranging for a TOOOL lockpicking class in Nashua, probably would be December at the earliest.

I attended a class hosted by GraniteSec (Twitter:@granitesec) in January. Basically TOOOL brought about a hundred locks and stacks of picks, and gave pointers when people got stuck.

If there's sufficient interest, I could look into arranging for a TOOOL lockpicking class in Nashua, probably would be December at the earliest.

That would be awesome, much better location for me at least

I'd be interested as well.....[thumbsup]

My company is located in Natick and we have a classroom with U shaped seating for students.

If there was interest in a class down this way I could host. The facilities are available most nights and weekends.

Rich

The standard for professional picks is HPC - generally available from lock distributors catering to the trade rather than businesses like Southern Ord that specifically target hobbyists and non-locksmiths.

That's correct. I find most of the other stuff is over priced crap.

Back
Top Bottom