• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found my dad's favorite gun yesterday.

Is the rear sight a microclick ?
If so it is a 22/40
Your picture kept jumping when I was trying to find out.

It is an outdoorsman
Pre WWII gun
At this point I don't think it's a 22/40 but a picture of the right side screw on the sight would definitely tell

Nope.... It's Dad's gun, keep it as close to original as possible. Let the next generation screw it up. Not necessary this time around unless it was well beyond a simple cleaning.

See the above.

Agreed, his choice.

People keep saying steel wool. NOOO!!! Steel is harder than bluing, I don't care if it's well lubed and 0000. BRONZE WOOL ONLY! That's softer than steel and bluing.
My first was to leave it alone and shoot it.
as for rust , i have good results using a light oil , like 3in1 or sewing machine oil and a stiff nylon brush
just focus on the rust. I will use the brush until the oil no longer takes on a rusty look.
After that if the rust is still visable a small swatch of 0000 steel/ bronze<my first choice, wool or 3m ultra fine finishing pads and oil worked into the rust spot. Work it again until you cant see any more "rust" in the oil.
Or treat the thing to a day at the spa and have it professionally detailed stripped and cleaned then go get it dirty again!

Why Bronze wool, well for starters its sheddings wont rust like steel wool. Steel wool especially 000,0000 will almost turn to powder and get in places it does not need to be. You can keep using bronze long after the steel pads have rusted up.

Last edited:
You may consider doing a 3-1 oil and an ultra-fine sandpaper for a bit and see if that goes anywhere. 1500 or 2000 grit to start. Cut a piece off in the shape of a small rectangle, wrap that around a flathead screwdriver, and go very slowly back and forth, adding oil as needed.

You have a great old gun. I am pretty sure it is pre-WWII, probably from the 1930's. That narrow barrel style with no rib on top is pretty uncommon and was not made for very many years. The hammer is also an earlier style which went away around the end of WWII. If you post the serial number with XX's for the last few characters, I have a book where I could look up the year.

There is good advice in this thread for gently removing the rust so that it will not get worse. If you are not sure about those methods, then asking a pro is always a good idea. It also would not hurt to have someone who knows revolvers look it over, but I would be pretty surprised if there are any issues with it. Except for finish issues, nothing happens to a revolver from sitting in a drawer for decades. Sometimes old oil congeals into goo, but that is about it.

I will offer another vote against having this fine old gun refinished. I would much rather have a gun with character and history unless the original finish is absolutely trashed. Some people have suggested that whether or not to re-finish is a matter of opinion, which is true. However, what is not an opinion is that removing the original finish is irreversable. If you decide not to refinish, you can always change your mind later, but once the gun is refinished, it can never be original again.

Here is a better picture of the spot on the barrel. Really the only spot I'm really concerned about. View attachment 325794
That is possibly where your father held the barrel when he shot it. MY opinion is leave it alone and shoot it. It seems to be in pretty good shape. Maybe have it looked at, but leave it alone. It's not a museum piece. Enjoy it the way your father did.

I would not refinish that gun were it mine. Clean up the rust and enjoy it. If the gun is maintained it will not rust further.

I would not refinish that gun were it mine. Clean up the rust and enjoy it. If the gun is maintained it will not rust further.
His dad must have had it in a nice dry place with little air movement as that rust was contained by the lack of moister and oxygen.
i had a bad rust event many years ago and started using VCI products. I switched to Zrust products a few years ago and use thier VcI emitter s, bags and I like the vci "string" to put in barrels.

used cortec for a long time as thats what my dad was using. my new house does not have the moisture challenges as my last but i used the large cilica cans also.
Heres the tubes
Amazon product ASIN B071DQL1XSView: https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Pack-Zerust-Barrel-Protector/dp/B071DQL1XS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=zerust+vci+tube&qid=1579522175&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Someone here identified the serial number range as 1933 or 34. That's amazing to me. I wish I knew where my father got it from. His father was a WW2 vet but I know very little about him or if this was a hand down.

IMG_20200120_152427209.jpg
This is from top to bottom My Grandfather's My Dad's and My Uncle's I remember them shooting bullseye leagues with revolver's in the 60s by the 70s they were shooting strictly auto's.

A few years ago, I dug out my dad's old Winchester .22 pump (1913 vintage), the first gun I ever shot. I thought about having it completely redone, and then decided to just clean it up, get it functional, and enjoy shooting it.

As a side note, while having dinner with my uncle/Godfather one night this year, I mentioned it and it turns out that it was originally bought by my uncle when he was staying at a friend's for the summer and working on the South Shore of MA. My dad "liberated" it from him when he got home, as my dad was living on his own by then and he said my grandmother wouldn't let my uncle have it while he was still living at her house. I'm still keeping it, but in light of that, I've told my family it will go to my uncle's kids / grandkids when it's time to pass it down.

I've inherited a bunch of guns, and I wish I'd known to follow my own advice: mitigate any rust, protect the finish, and shoot it.

In my inexperienced yoot, I just shot and didn't care about the rest, so my inherited collectables are now mostly rusty trade bait.

I've inherited a bunch of guns, and I wish I'd known to follow my own advice: mitigate any rust, protect the finish, and shoot it.

In my inexperienced yoot, I just shot and didn't care about the rest, so my inherited collectables are now mostly rusty trade bait.
what you got, i aint afrades of rust.

Another vote for cleaning it up as best you can and leaving the gun as-is. Shoot it and enjoy it! Take it for a walk in the woods some day, and reflect on your father's life.

I have the 1958 Colt Official Police .38 my father carried as a LEO in the 1960's here on the Cape. He bought it after his service in the YPD and kept it all those years. His last job before retiring was with a security service in Roxbury and he again carried that same Colt. It's not a very comfortable gun for me to shoot, as my hand has pretty much grown around the 1911, but I still take it to the range once in a while and shoot it. I have fond memories of shooting that gun with him at a very young age.

Back
Top Bottom