• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found Gun in Attic Question.

I bet when you found it you did the gun dance.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Based on your original post I believe I can speak for everyone when I say you can begin cruising for wayward widowers with loose guns about the house. Best of luck!

What if Mr Oldperson living in CT had a collection from their youth that had never been registered. He is now worried about never registering them because he doesn't have a LTC he wants to sell them to a friend that lives in MA that does have a LTC, could it work?

CT doesn't require any permits for possession so there's nothing to worry about. Beyond the DPS form when purchasing there's no requirement to register anything. If they were acquired before the form was mandatory then there's nothing further to do.

Since you're talking across state lines, you'll need an FFL. If they're long guns, they could use a CT FFL provided the MA buyer also has a CT permit. If they're handguns, you will need an FFL in MA and possibly one in CT if you can't have licensed MA friend hop in the car to make to the trip to MA.

I can't recall the non-licensed rules for transport in CT for long guns and pistols.

Since you're talking across state lines, you'll need an FFL. If they're long guns, they could use a CT FFL provided the MA buyer also has a CT permit.

I thought you could buy long guns in another state from an FFL and drive it back FOPA as long as it would be legal for the buyer to possess (permit if necessary, doesn't violate AW bans or anything) in the buyers home state? If not, what does a buyer having a C&R FFL do to the CT permit requirement if the long gun is C&R eligible and they're just picking it up to go back to C&R location to transfer in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought you could buy long guns in another state from an FFL and drive it back FOPA as long as it would be legal for the buyer to possess (permit if necessary, doesn't violate AW bans or anything) in the buyers home state? If not, what does a buyer having a C&R FFL do to the CT permit requirement if the long gun is C&R eligible and they're just picking it up to go back to C&R location to transfer in?

I can't answer for the CT rules/laws, but there is no "go back to C&R location to transfer in"! Per Fed Law, the C&R transfer takes place wherever the transfer itself takes place . . . in your example it is in CT. CT laws must be followed there as well . . . and I'll let our CT law experts pick it up from there.

Apparently they are digging a big hole somewhere in the south with a backhoe. Just throw this found gun into it! [grin]

Gun found in the attic really does happen. Recently I had an electrician do some work for me that required him to run some wire in my attic. We purchased this house five years ago and I have never been in the attic. While the electrician was running wire a shot gun wrapped in a blanket fell out of the rafters. He brought it down to me "hay look what I found" . Unfortunately it is only a single shot H&R 12ga. that can be purchased new for around $299.99, although it is in very good condition it isn't worth much. I don't think the person that we purchased the house from even knew that it was in the attic. My only disappointment is that it wasn't something of value. Currently I have not decided on what to do with it, most likely I will just do an EFA10 and see what happens..

Gun found in the attic really does happen. Recently I had an electrician do some work for me that required him to run some wire in my attic. We purchased this house five years ago and I have never been in the attic. While the electrician was running wire a shot gun wrapped in a blanket fell out of the rafters. He brought it down to me "hay look what I found" . Unfortunately it is only a single shot H&R 12ga. that can be purchased new for around $299.99, although it is in very good condition it isn't worth much. I don't think the person that we purchased the house from even knew that it was in the attic. My only disappointment is that it wasn't something of value. Currently I have not decided on what to do with it, most likely I will just do an EFA10 and see what happens..

Shotgun? What shotgun?

Currently I have not decided on what to do with it, most likely I will just do an EFA10 and see what happens..

I don't know what you expect to happen if you legally eFA-10 it?

MIRCS doesn't search for prior registrations, check with mfr and go thru every owner since mfr, etc. It merely adds this one statistic to the database, nothing more.

Things like this happen frequently and legally you must eFA-10 it within 7 days. What you decide to do is up to you however.

I don't know what you expect to happen if you legally eFA-10 it?

My worry with a gun of unknown provenance is that it might turn out to have been stolen or used in a crime, and that I might end up in trouble for it somehow. Maybe that's unrealistic, I don't know.

My worry with a gun of unknown provenance is that it might turn out to have been stolen or used in a crime, and that I might end up in trouble for it somehow. Maybe that's unrealistic, I don't know.

Someone would have to pro-actively check some random eFA-10 S/N and model against the stolen database in NCIC to find that info. Not very likely.

Also, when you buy a used gun at any reputable dealer, if you think that the S/N has been vetted against that same stolen gun database, think again! There is no legal mechanism to do such checks.

Based on your original post I believe I can speak for everyone when I say you can begin cruising for wayward widowers with loose guns about the house. Best of luck!

A friend of mine was paid by a woman (his neighbor) to sit at her house during the funeral of her husband. He had ALOT of guns, and people knew about them, and according to her, she saw some of them as untrustworthy. She was afraid of them robbing the guns from her during the funeral.

Gun found in the attic really does happen. Recently I had an electrician do some work for me that required him to run some wire in my attic. We purchased this house five years ago and I have never been in the attic. While the electrician was running wire a shot gun wrapped in a blanket fell out of the rafters. He brought it down to me "hay look what I found and what won't fit in my toolbox" . Unfortunately it is only a single shot H&R 12ga. that can be purchased new for around $299.99, although it is in very good condition it isn't worth much. I don't think the person that we purchased the house from even knew that it was in the attic. My only disappointment is that it wasn't something of value. Currently I have not decided on what to do with it, most likely I will just do an EFA10 and see what happens..

FIFY

legally can't do it that way

If people keep their trap shut about such things it wouldn't be a problem. [laugh]

You can legally buy a used gun from a GUN SHOP that could have been stolen or used in a crime, too. [laugh] Do you think the gun shops have some magic faerie dust database of bad guns they check against when intaking a gun?

ETA: Len beat me to it.... !

-Mike

Wow, Mass. really has you beaten down, if you find the need to worry about such things. A used gun bought at the local gun store can carry the same history. What makes that any different? If someone left a knife behind, would you be freaking out about that? Oh, I know, what if you found a hammer in the garage? It is really sad that you need to worry about such things.

Wow, Mass. really has you beaten down, if you find the need to worry about such things. A used gun bought at the local gun store can carry the same history. What makes that any different? If someone left a knife behind, would you be freaking out about that? Oh, I know, what if you found a hammer in the garage? It is really sad that you need to worry about such things.

No kidding. I know of a case a long time ago where a professor killed his hooker "girl friend" with a hammer. Body was never found but the hammer with brain matter was what helped convict him. Who knows where that hammer is today! It could show up at a flea market!! [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom