Former PD handguns?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I'll be looking to get my LTC-A in September when I turn 21. My brother is an LEO and his department recently switched from S&W 4006TSW's to M&P's. He bought his 4006 from the department when they switched. He was unsure of the answers to my questions so he said he'd look into it. In the mean time, my questions are: Since the gun is no longer being used for LEO purposes it should be same as any other privately owned handgun when it comes to transfers, correct? So if I ended up buying the gun from my brother it won't be a problem? Also, I believe his department issued an earlier version of the 4006 before the TSW models so some of his mags may be pre-ban, but is there any way I can tell for sure? I'd rather not have to buy new 10rd mags or try to find some pre-ban 11 rounders. Thanks for your help!

That model has been around since 1990 so you should be able to find some preban mags. I would think that the post ban 11 rounders that are in MA would have LE markings on them and if there is no marking I would
call S&W and ask them. Transfer of the firearm will not be a problem it is just the post-ban, pre-ban magazine thing you have to deal with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom