• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Former gun club in Northboro

Joe G

NES Member
I rode by an industrial park in Northboro today off of Bearfoot drive. Somebody had once told me that the building on the corner was an old gun club, but they didn't have any additional details.

I saw today that it's been taken over by the town and used as a recreation area. The lawn had soccer nets and there were trails thru the woods. I biked down a dirt rode and came to an old trap field. Downrange was fenced off with warnings of lead and arsenic. The trail kept going into the woods but I didn't follow it much farther.

Does anybody have any additional history? How did the club come to be town property? I was especially wondering about the former clubhouse. It seems to have fallen into disuse. From the exterior it looks to have a large basement - was there an indoor range there? If so, I wonder what the chances are that Northboro would try to make use of it. I know, probably slim to none, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cross-X said:
If no one at NES knows, you might give the GOAL office a call. You are a GOAL member, aren't you?

Have been since I moved to MA in '88.

I first saw the (ex)gun club when we were house hunting in '95. We ended up in Berlin and it sure would be convenient to have a range 5 min from my house. Not that I have much to complain about. I belong to Riverside and it's only a 15 min drive.

As far as office parks go, it seems like a pretty nice place to work. Right off the highway, quiet wooded setting. The only thing missing are good lunch places.

Joe G said:
As far as office parks go, it seems like a pretty nice place to work. Right off the highway, quiet wooded setting. The only thing missing are good lunch places.

Oh yeah, and a working gun club...

I live right behind there on Whitney. Few years ago I used to hear gunshots all the time.

I heard it closed down because the owner killed himself[thinking]. Also heard that the ground was contaminated with lead.

You could probably sneak in there with a 22 and shoot without anyone complaning.

Back
Top Bottom