FN-49 for your review...

USMA-82

NES Member
Hi guys:

Here are some shots of the FN-49 I'm planning on buying. I know I'm paying too much for a "Frankenfortynine", but it just seems to be in great shape. I actually talked via email with Wayne Johnson (who recently wrote a book on this gun), and he thought it was worth the asking price of $500.

Take a look:

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/139

Any and all comments are welcome!

Ken

Wanna get really sick?? I was reading the Want Advertiser a while back and found an Egyptian one for $299. Unfortunatley by the time I talked to the guy there were 2 people ahead of me to look at it. [sad2]
SOG had these a while back for almost $600, and you know thats a fair market price. I had read a report in Gun Tests about one they got from SOG and tried out and from what I can remember the rifle was well received.
I've seen these lately at gun shows and it seems like a resurgence in these has happened. Price seems fair to me especially considering it looks in great shape. Of course theres always gas cylinder and bore condition to wonder about.

Hey! I was one of those guys in line for the one in the Want Advertiser! And it was $295!

I sent him an email later (after it was gone) asking about it. He said he bought it about 5 years ago from "Zenk's" in Whitinsville, MA. Probably got what he paid for it - good for him.

But in traditional sour grapes fashion, I keep reassuring myself that it was probably in lousy shape.....

He mentioned on the phone that he probably had it under priced. This was after I even got him to go lower to around $250, can't remember exactly. he also said the bore was a little dark but with strong rifling and the gas tube was clean.
Let me guess, you were potential buyer number 2? [laugh]
Ahhh, snooze we loose. There will be other opportunities.

Last edited:
The stock on my FN49 Egyptian wasn't too pretty. I didn't want to refinish it by stripping it but i deceided to try a coarse steelwool and a lot of elbow grease and I turned it into a purdy one too. All the garbage finish that someone else put on came right off. I cleaned her up and tung oiled her up and she's a looker now. Some of the swiss rifles have the same problem too its just the surface finish that is bad and in some cases just a coarse steelwool and some hard rubbing will make it look decent again.

Not to drift off topic here but speaking of Swiss rifle finishes, I remember a while back before the parallax forums were hacked, someone there posted a shellac recipe suposeadly from a Swiss cabinet. According to some researchers its what was used on the Swiss rifles. I'm gonna do some digging later tonight and if I find it i'll post it here.
I've also got a recipe for duplicating the finish on Finn Mosins. Its the infamous 1/3 mix that some have said is an authentic finish. I can post that one too if anyone is interested.

For the swiss rifles i use the Behlen MASTER Solar-Lux Stain in the Yellow Light Orange color #B503-09A25 this color matched most military surplus rifles too(SKS's/SVT/Mosins) Then after a few coats of the stain to get the correct color I just tung oil the stock.

There is also a redish color that matches my Finnish M39 VKT too in the Behlen brand also its Solar-Lux Medium Red Mahogany.

Last edited:
BigBill said:
...(snip)...There is also a redish color that matches my Finnish M39 VKT too in the Behlen brand also its Solar-Lux Medium Red Mahogany.

I must have missed it. One more time, please. Which is the Finish finnish?

Or to quote JonJ: "Fin finish, Fin finish, Fin-Fin 'lar-Lux...",

Last edited:
Len added my post about the Finn finish as a sticky up top. Its a method that i've found works. I have more Potasium Permanganate than i'll ever use and can sell enough to mix a bottle of stain with.

Back
Top Bottom