Flying with a AK and AR

Anyone ever try there luck with going through the airport with an AK and a AR? I think Im going to Chicago for Christmas this year and my bro wants me to bring a few rifles. I just dont know how TSA will react to me busting open a gun case full of BAD RIFLES... What do you guys think?

I took two decked out ARs and two handguns in a single rifle case through TF Green Airport. After handchecking the case, the agent returned my keys and said in a monotone, deadpan voice "You ain't goin huntin are ya?" I just said "nope." LOL

As stated a above, no different than any other firearm and you DO have to be compliant with local laws at both your departure and landing jurisdictions.

When I worked At logan, TSA wasn't allowed to even look in those cases. you declair it to the ticket agent (Checked bag counter) and they call Mass State police. The trooper is the one who verifies you are compliant with local laws. I have seen people travel with all types of firearms Including an Ar.

Now ammo is a different story. Most carriers will let you take up to 11LBs of Factory sealed ammo as long as it is seprate from the firearme.

As stated a above, no different than any other firearm and you DO have to be compliant with local laws at both your departure and landing jurisdictions.

Not quite correct. You have to be compliant at your origin and destination. If those correspond to the departure and landing jurisdictions, then yes, but if you're just passing through those areas to get to the airport, then no, you don't have to comply as long as you comply with FOPA.

When I worked At logan, TSA wasn't allowed to even look in those cases. you declair it to the ticket agent (Checked bag counter) and they call Mass State police. The trooper is the one who verifies you are compliant with local laws. I have seen people travel with all types of firearms Including an Ar.

Actually, the ticket agent is usually the person who checks for me. MSP has never looked and has no business doing so as persons without an LTC may transport firearms through Logan if their presence in MA is merely part of their journey.

TSA crap varies wildly.

About 6 weeks ago I flew from Dayton to Miami and back. I took an M&P9, two mags, and 34 rounds of Winchester Ranger SXT.

Due to space constraints in the Pelican case I left one mag in the pistol, one in a foam cutout, and the Winchester ammo went split in two small 20 round boxes of Speer Gold Dot.

At Dayton the Delta lady asked if it was unloaded and asked me to open the case. I told here it was, she filled out the orange tag, I signed it, and I watched her put it in the case. I closed and locked the case, then stuffed it in my bag.

Took the bag to TSA and told them I had a firearm in checked luggage. They said OK, threw the bag in their super-duper scanning machine and told me to wait. A big green light came on the machine and the guy said you are good to go.

In Miami airline check in was exactly the same but the TSA dude took my pistol case to the back (but where I still could see him through a doorway) and swiped the pistol and the stuff in it with some filter paper and then fed them to some sort of analyzer. Then he packed it up and I went on my way.

Why on earth do they scan firearms for explosives is beyond me......

I know people who have flown with AR's before with no issues (other than damage)

Not totally related:
I recently flew with my baby glock.

The lady at the counter (Airline employee not TSA) was visibly disturbed my request to check a firearm.

She filled out a ticket and demanded I leave her the keys to my safe.
What? No. (Again she's not TSA but an airline employee)

She asked if it was loaded (Slide was racked back. No magazine) and then again requested for me to leave her the keys.

I told her she must be joking and that I'd never leave the keys with anyone.

TSA finally came and barely looked at the gun.

The airline employee stuck the paperwork inside my safe and had me lock it.
I asked her whether she should just put the paperwork outside the case.
She told me the X-ray would see it. I wasn't convinced but I arrived at my destination without any more issues.

I've traveled through Logan several times with a gun. Never once had a Statie called over when checking the bag.

So what exactly is the process of declaring? Is it:
1. Walk to the checkin counter and state you are declaring an unloaded firearm.
2. Do they inspect it right there?
3. Do they then just put it into the luggage carousel to be taken up to the plane?

I will be flying with my AR and pistol in a week and half, just want to know the details.

Thanks!

So what exactly is the process of declaring? Is it:
1. Walk to the checkin counter and state you are declaring an unloaded firearm.
2. Do they inspect it right there?
3. Do they then just put it into the luggage carousel to be taken up to the plane?

I will be flying with my AR and pistol in a week and half, just want to know the details.

Thanks!

Give yourself some extra time. You can't do self check-in. You'll need an agent.
Let them know you want to declare a firearm. It should be be locked and unloaded in a TSA approved case already.

They (TSA) will either want to inspect it right then and there (hopefully providing some privacy to you) or they will take you around the corner and inspect it.

Then you're done.

TSA checks the bags now and it doesn't have to be factory sealed, and depending on the airline it can be in the same case

The same luggage, not the same case.

Yes, the same case...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.....You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

The same luggage, not the same case.

Sorry RJ, last tiem I flew it was with Delta and their regulations clearly allow ammunition to be packed in the very same case as the firearm.

OTOH, Air Tran goes totally freakazoid on this and requires that if you are flying with a handgun, the ammo for it not only cannot go in the same case as the gun, it cannot even go in the same piece of luggage. You need a second suitcase for the ammo. Needless to say, I do not fly with those tools any more, even if it costs me more money.

Sorry RJ, last tiem I flew it was with Delta and their regulations clearly allow ammunition to be packed in the very same case as the firearm.

OTOH, Air Tran goes totally freakazoid on this and requires that if you are flying with a handgun, the ammo for it not only cannot go in the same case as the gun, it cannot even go in the same piece of luggage. You need a second suitcase for the ammo. Needless to say, I do not fly with those tools any more, even if it costs me more money.

Yes, I should have made my point clearer. TSA says you can, but the airlines require (mostly) a separation. Jet Blue is good for that, depending on the day and the counter agent. And sometimes they don't know their own regulations, which is why I carry the TSA notice above (thanks), as well as the airlines.

Back
Top Bottom