Flat top target upper for my AR

SKS Ray

NES Member
I'm looking to get a flat top upper for my RRA. Something worthy of scoping with a Super Sniper and 100 to 300 yard accuracy.
I thought of going with Rock River since I like the idea of the upper matching the lower, but don't want to wait the eternity it took for them to ship me a standard upper.
I'm not looking to shoot the nuts off a fly at 1000 yards, but want something well made and accurate enough to really enjoy. Price is a factor. I can afford about $500.
Any suggestions?

Build your own. It is extremely easy. With no experience and only a barrel nut wrench I put together an upper that shoots 2.25 in five shot groups at 300 yds.

White Oak Armament has some nice stuff but a little more expensive than your price range.

For the barrel I'd get something with at least a 1/8 twist or faster. 1/9 can be marginal for some of the heavier bullets like 77 sierras and 75 Hornadys. Most of the chrome lined barrels will shoot pretty good, but the chambers tend to be a little on the big side and the bullets jump a fair amount into the rifleing. For pure accuracy I'd stick with a unchromed stainless barrel. If you have the tools, I'd do what Gammon said and put one together using White Oak parts. Best deal in barrels are his 20 inch 1/7 service rifle barrels for $200, but you would need to get a gas block. If you want a little more velocity get one of the 26 inch barrels.

B

I have a DPMS with the southpaw version of this upper http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=802&cat=1648

It prints consistant 3/4" or less groups at 200 yds with 55gr FMJs. It opens up a little more at 300, but not much more, due more to me than the rifle I suspect. It's a little more than 5 bills but that is mfg retail so I'm sure it would be cheaper.

I built and bought a 24inch varment upper off Model one sales from there web-site. Easy to use and fast shipping too. Only cost 22.oo to ship to my door. I added some real goodies to it so it drove the price up but if you want to have some fun seeing what you can build check out there site. I like the custom build your own web site they have. DOn

Here's my target build. It's an RRA 24" barrel & BCG on a CMT flat top upper. Stag lower, RRA NM 2 stage Trigger Group & LPK, Magpul PRS Stock, & a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 AO scope.

I'd let you know how the barrel shoots, but I haven't had the chance to get it to the range since I finished building it...[crying]

DSCF0408_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom