FL - "Prankster" Shot, Killed By Off-Duty Officer

The kid was stupid. But the Deputy chasing down two suspects, who he suspects are out for him, against department policy, is not bright either. If it had been two armed felons who were trying to lure the officer out of his house it worked.

The kid was stupid. But the Deputy chasing down two suspects, who he suspects are out for him, against department policy, is not bright either. If it had been two armed felons who were trying to lure the officer out of his house it worked.

I am just curious where did you read what he did was against department policy? I missed it if was in the article...

I too want to know where you found that the pursuit was against department policy. Particularly so when the article clearly states otherwise.

I am just curious where did you read what he did was against department policy? I missed it if was in the article...

I too want to know where you found that the pursuit was against department policy. Particularly so when the article clearly states otherwise.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100417/ARTICLE/4171047/2055/NEWS?p=4&tc=pg
Verdoni, however, may have violated an internal Sarasota Sheriff's Office policy that instructs officers not to get personally involved in neighborhood disputes or family incidents.

"Such disputes shall be processed by on-duty deputy sheriffs," the policy states. "Members shall not attempt to exercise authority or make arrests in their own quarrels ..."

Page 4 of the origional article.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100417/ARTICLE/4171047/2055/NEWS?p=4&tc=pg
Verdoni, however, may have violated an internal Sarasota Sheriff's Office policy that instructs officers not to get personally involved in neighborhood disputes or family incidents.

"Such disputes shall be processed by on-duty deputy sheriffs," the policy states. "Members shall not attempt to exercise authority or make arrests in their own quarrels ..."

Page 4 of the origional article.
This was neither a neighborhood dispute nor a personal quarrel.

So from:
But Sheriff Knight made it clear at the press conference that he supported Verdoni's decision to forgo calling 911 and act on his own.
"He has a duty to take action," Knight said.
Even from the paper's twist of "may have violated" that seems to be a huge stretch for that policy to have been violated especially when read in light of the chief's comments...

So from:

Even from the paper's twist of "may have violated" that seems to be a huge stretch for that policy to have been violated especially when read in light of the chief's comments...

I am sure the sheriff will support one of his own deputies if there is any doubt. But the deputy would still would have walked right into a setup if it was someone who was after him. If there was one 5'3" 150 pound 20 year old drunk who was a problem imagine if it had been two 6'2" 210 pound men who planned on attacking the deputy?

This was neither a neighborhood dispute nor a personal quarrel.

My main concern is the deputy would have walked right into a setup if this had been one.

Stupid pranks by a neighbor would be both a neighborhood dispute and a personal quarrel, which this started out as until the kid went for the gun. But by that time the deputy had already violated the department policy.

THe kid was an idiot but the deputy would have gotten himself killed if it had not been a drunk kid but someone who saw a marked police car and wanted revenge.

The thing I find a wee bit ironic on NES is everyone talks about standing up to tyranny and has the no one's gonna push me around attitude, yet every single time there is some agent of the state pushing someone around, people here knee jerk react to supporting the agent of the state, no matter how egregious. Doesn't matter if it's tasing a 10 year old or an 80 year old, shooting an unarmed drunk, even beating someone half to death for no reason. The recent video of the kid skipping and then freezing in front of the cops on horses and then getting beaten unconscious. Even then SOME people here were trying to find some way to blame the victim- "He had no situational awareness", etc. Were that not on video, you'd have had a 100 more apologists saying "Well the report said the drunk attacked the horses and officers-- play stupid games, etc"

No one here knows whether this unarmed 20 year old drunk tackled the cop, tried to get his gun or not. No one. But we all know cops don't just shoot for no reason. Even at 1a.m. in their flip-flops and shorts. Cops don't make mistakes or f**k up. No way.

I'm sure Ms. Snelgrove kind of sort of got what she deserved too.

I'm pretty sure with the authoritarian mindset of so many here, when the cops DO come to your house to take away your guns (because it WILL be the local police when the confiscation happens, not nancy pelosi nor blue helmets, but local police acting on the states behalf)- you will comply meekly, no doubt.

The thing I find a wee bit ironic on NES is everyone talks about standing up to tyranny and has the no one's gonna push me around attitude, yet every single time there is some agent of the state pushing someone around, people here knee jerk react to supporting the agent of the state, no matter how egregious. Doesn't matter if it's tasing a 10 year old or an 80 year old, shooting an unarmed drunk, even beating someone half to death for no reason. The recent video of the kid skipping and then freezing in front of the cops on horses and then getting beaten unconscious. Even then SOME people here were trying to find some way to blame the victim- "He had no situational awareness", etc. Were that not on video, you'd have had a 100 more apologists saying "Well the report said the drunk attacked the horses and officers-- play stupid games, etc"

No one here knows whether this unarmed 20 year old drunk tackled the cop, tried to get his gun or not. No one. But we all know cops don't just shoot for no reason. Even at 1a.m. in their flip-flops and shorts. Cops don't make mistakes or f**k up. No way.

I'm pretty sure with the authoritarian mindset of so many here, when the cops DO come to your house to take away your guns (because it WILL be the local police when the confiscation happens, not nancy pelosi nor blue helmets, but local police acting on the states behalf)- you will comply meekly, no doubt.

Dude who pissed in your Cheerios?

Only because it was not a setup. He still took a pretty good hit from a 5'3" drunk as it is. Does not sound like it would have gone well for him if it had been a setup.

Have you considered that he might have relaxed when he saw a drunk kid?

If there was one 5'3" 150 pound 20 year old drunk who was a problem imagine if it had been two 6'2" 210 pound men who planned on attacking the deputy?

In a nutshell it depends. Would you rather due battle against a 2 year old 5'3" 150lb. person who is in shape, and trained, or someone who is 50 years old 6'2" 210lb. all flab and no training. I guess I'm saying your point about size makes no sense. While the size of your opponent may be a factor, it is not the only factor. This kid was on the wrestling teem and sounded as if he trained and kept physically fit. I'd be willing to bet he could put up quite a fight if he so desired to.

Tho officer did what every other officer does when out numbered of facing a combative opponent, he called for backup. Unfortunately for all involved the kid decided to escalate the situation before backup could arrive.

+1...pretty ironic...

While I agree for the most part I guess I wouldn't be willing to condemn the LEO at this point there is just so much data that isn't there to make a call.

_IF_ everything in the reports we have access to is correct then I ask did the LEO call this in when he got in his car that he was looking for someone that was potentially casing his house? Did he ask for a uniformed officer to give him a hand? Did he only call in AFTER the kid was dead? Did the LEO go to the hospital to get checked out for getting bounced off the pavement?

I guess if everything in the article was true and he had called it in to dispatch to ask for assistance looking but found the person before his help got there then I'd say he didn't do anything wrong.

Without all that info the only people who can validate the story are the LEO and the witness IF the witness had a good view of what was happening.

Seems pretty hard to armchair quarterback this one even though people are certainly willing to give it a shot. I don't have a problem personally with the LEO going to look for the person as long as he contacted dispatch to let them know what was going on and asked for assistance. If he just went rogue roaming the neighborhood at 1am without an notification to his dispatch that seems a little odd/shady.

Seems pretty hard to armchair quarterback this one even though people are certainly willing to give it a shot. I don't have a problem personally with the LEO going to look for the person as long as he contacted dispatch to let them know what was going on and asked for assistance. If he just went rogue roaming the neighborhood at 1am without an notification to his dispatch that seems a little odd/shady.

I don't have a problem with ANY of the story, if it's true. If I'm running after pranking or harrassing someone and a marked cruiser pulls up cop, in underwear or in uniform gets out, with his weapon on me and I lunge at him and try to take away his gun? Tough sh!t for me. I'm dead and deserve it.

But guess what? Sometimes cops f**k up, like say, mistake their gun for their taser and shoot someone face down on the ground (not this case, but you know the one)-- sometimes cops panic, f**k up, then lie about it.

So MY natural inclination when I hear about someone unarmed getting shot is to be very critical and scrutinize the entire situation and wonder what might have really happened. My natural inclination is NOT to just trust whatever the authorities tell me without proof or other witnesses.

+1 [thinking]

I don't have a problem with ANY of the story, if it's true. If I'm running after pranking or harrassing someone and a marked cruiser pulls up cop, in underwear or in uniform gets out, with his weapon on me and I lunge at him and try to take away his gun? Tough sh!t for me. I'm dead and deserve it.

But guess what? Sometimes cops f**k up, like say, mistake their gun for their taser and shoot someone face down on the ground (not this case, but you know the one)-- sometimes cops panic, f**k up, then lie about it.

So MY natural inclination when I hear about someone unarmed getting shot is to be very critical and scrutinize the entire situation and wonder what might have really happened. My natural inclination is NOT to just trust whatever the authorities tell me without proof or other witnesses.

And that task is never easier when there's only one person who lives to speak about it.

I am guessing you have never had a union rep "discuss" concerns with you.[smile]
As a matter of fact I am a former local president...

...Stupid pranks by a neighbor would be both a neighborhood dispute and a personal quarrel, which this started out as until the kid went for the gun. But by that time the deputy had already violated the department policy...
A "ring and run" would be a huge stretch to fit as a neighborhood dispute and/or personal quarrel, under any of the policy's/proceedure's I've ever looked at regarding similar "off duty" restrictions.

My main concern is the deputy would have walked right into a setup if this had been one.
That is our job/life...from on duty every car stop "could be" a set up to off duty when the cook at the resturant I eat at might have been a former "client" and dump some decon in my order of soup...I am far from having a superman complex, but suggesting a police officer (or anyone else for that matter) should not investigate a suspicious "activity" on his property because it "might be a set up" is a little to paranoid for me...

Last edited:
HOLY SHIT! Are you for real?

He IS THE POLICE!

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. Some of you actually want a cop who witnesses a crime, any crime, in his neighborhood to just call 911 and sit in his couch like a pussy? I'd want him FIRED if he did just that.

You won't convince me that an off-duty cop sitting at home in his shorts and sandals, is obligated to enter into a high speed pursuit of a doorbell ringer.

None of this makes sense.

Why would a kid tackle a cop and try to get his gun over this? Its not like he had a pound of dope on him. That sounds like a very desperate act for no reason.

Why would a cop put two bullets in a kid over a ding dong dash? That doesn't make sense either.

We'll probably never know what really happened that night. And if we don't know for sure whether the kid tried to grab the gun, we really can't make accusations on this one.

And for all of you who come on here and act like you shit sprinkles: Most of us have probably done worse than ding dong dash. Myself included. Now, I realize that was dumb and rotten when I did that crap, and I hate the a**h***s that do it, if they do it to me now. But at the end of the day, it shouldn't amount to a death.

Why would a kid tackle a cop and try to get his gun over this? Its not like he had a pound of dope on him. That sounds like a very desperate act for no reason.

Why would a cop put two bullets in a kid over a ding dong dash? That doesn't make sense either.

We'll probably never know what really happened that night. And if we don't know for sure whether the kid tried to grab the gun, we really can't make accusations on this one.

And for all of you who come on here and act like you shit sprinkles: Most of us have probably done worse than ding dong dash. Myself included. Now, I realize that was dumb and rotten when I did that crap, and I hate the a**h***s that do it, if they do it to me now. But at the end of the day, it shouldn't amount to a death.

I think most people agree with this and think the only way this was a valid shoot is if the officers story is 100% true.

This.

You won't convince me that an off-duty cop sitting at home in his shorts and sandals, is obligated to enter into a high speed pursuit of a doorbell ringer.

Some people consider police work a duty, some consider it just a paycheck.

I can pretty much guess which side you fall on.

How many f-ing times does it need to be said that the idiot who is the subject of this story was not killed for ringing a doorberll? He was killed for assaulting a sheriff's deputy and trying to take his handgun.

I don't think one person here has said or thinks this kid should have died from a ring and run. The issue at hand is whether or not this kid went after the officer and tried to get his gun. Provided the story is true the kid should have complied with the officer, apologized, taken the tongue lashing and everyone could have gone separate ways. If that happened we wouldn't have a 9+ page thread about it.

Back
Top Bottom