FL - "Prankster" Shot, Killed By Off-Duty Officer

It began as a childish prank of banging on a door and running away -- but ended with one prankster shot dead by an off-duty deputy who said the young man tackled him and went for his gun.

Just before 1 a.m. Friday, 20-year-old Tyler Spann and a roommate were walking home from the Old Venice Pub when they banged on the door of the Sarasota Sheriff's deputy's home and ran.

Deputy Carlos Verdoni, wearing shorts, a T-shirt and sandals, grabbed his gun and got into his squad car to find them -- a pursuit the sheriff's office and police experts say was within his authority, even when off-duty.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...=-Kid-prank-leads-to-fatal-shooting-in-Venice.

Either the officer shot him in cold blood (seems extremely unlikely) or the officer's story is true (seems unlikely that the kid would charge him, but far more likely than the other option, I think). It's an odd situation, either way.

More Info...

About the Officer...

A review of deputy Carlos Verdoni's work file shows that prior to Friday -- when he shot and killed a 20-year-old Venice man who rang his doorbell, ran and then reportedly tried to get Verdoni's gun -- the officer has had a low-key career with the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.

He started with the agency in 2001 as a jail guard, was promoted a couple of years later to a job taking reports, and in 2007 was moved to patrol. He has received average marks on his annual reviews.

His neighbor, Dave Sherman, said Verdoni is a new father who is studying for a business degree on the side.

Sherman said Verdoni and his wife, Megan, who is a surgical nurse at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, had their first child four months ago.

Verdoni, who worked the midnight shift and was taking online classes to earn the business degree, is "the sweetest guy you could ever meet," Sherman said.

Born and raised in Oklahoma, Verdoni moved to Sarasota in the mid-1990s and graduated from Sarasota High School in 1995.

He worked odd jobs after graduation, from a local pharmacy to the movie theater, and in June 1998 was cited for failing to show in court on an unpaid traffic ticket.

Verdoni surrendered on the misdemeanor charge, lost his license for a month and was placed on probation for six months.

In January 2000, he joined the U.S. Army. He married in June of that year, but his wife "had difficulties adjusting to the military life" and he was honorably discharged in November.

The couple divorced in September 2001 and Verdoni returned from an Army base in Oklahoma to enroll in the criminal justice program at Manatee Community College.

He landed a position at the Sheriff's Office in 2001 at the jail, where he had difficulties with his supervisor, reports show. In a 2004 memo, a sergeant wrote that he struggled to accept direction and criticism.

"On one occasion," the sergeant wrote, "he became defensive, argumentative and disrespectful toward me."

Later, records show, he improved and was promoted to patrol.

Working the night shift on Siesta Key and areas south of Bee Ridge Road, Verdoni was often lauded by supervisors.

In January 2008, he and others used footprints to nab a burglary suspect and, later that year, he was commended by superiors for his close work with business owners and residents on the key.

His only disciplinary report came in June 2008, when he was caught speeding in his patrol car. He was placed on desk duty for two weeks.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100417/ARTICLE/4171044?p=2&tc=pg

About the kid...

Spann was a 2007 graduate of Venice High School, where he was a wrestler and a football player. He has one arrest on his criminal record, a DUI case from 2007.

Several friends of Spann were gathered this morning in the neighborhood where the shooting took place. Someone had placed a cross near a blood spot that remained on the ground.

A neighbor said several young men live in a home in the 400 block of Valencia Road not far from the shooting scene. The neighbor said the men sometimes have parties and get a little rowdy, but do not cause major problems in the neighborhood.

One of Spann's friends said Spann had been hanging out at the Old Venice Pub earlier in the evening, prior to the shooting.

Spann's friend Halee McGraw, 18, said he wasn't an aggressive person and "everybody loved him."

"I know there are rumors or whatever that he might have fought with the officer but I know he wasn't a violent person," McGraw said, tears streaming down her cheeks as she huddled with friends at Spann's house near where the shooting occurred.

McGraw said the "ding-dong ditching" prank "was just stupid fun."

"They weren't doing anything really bad, they're just bored in Venice like every other young person here," she said.

McGraw said Spann was well known and liked at Venice High School, where he graduated in 2007. Students at the school signed memorial messages for Spann Friday.

He was a member of the football team and a weightlifter, but wrestling was his favorite sport.

He also liked to fish and hunt turkey and deer in Georgia with his dad.

Spann, 20, worked at the Publix on East Venice Avenue and was trying to work his way into management like his dad.

Retirees Jim and Betty Robertson live across the street. They were up watching a late-night show early Friday morning and heard the gunshots.

They came outside and "one kid was yelling the f-word over and over 'You shot my friend! You shot my friend! Why didn't you put handcuffs on and arrest him?' " said Betty Robertson.

Jim Robertson said Spann and his friends had some "pretty good parties on Friday nights" but for the most part they were quiet and didn't bother anyone.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100416/BREAKING/100419789

So what exactly was the crime for which the PO pursued him?
If ringing doorbells was a crime then doorbells themselves would have been outlawed long ago.
Disturbing the Peace, maybe?

Headscratch.gif

If someone knocked on my door and then ran when they saw me, I'd think they were looking for an empty house to burglarize. That would be my first thought. As a civilian, calling 911 to get this guy doesn't seem like a foreign concept so if I were a police officer, I can see why he pursued him.

What happened from there? Well lunging for an officer's gun if this happened? Not smart.

So what exactly was the crime for which the PO pursued him?
If ringing doorbells was a crime then doorbells themselves would have been outlawed long ago.
Disturbing the Peace, maybe?

Headscratch.gif

I thought the original story said there had been several recent break-ins. If you wanted to break into someone's home what better way to insure the house is empty than to ring the bell and bang on the door? I would say under the circumstance it wouldn't be a stretch to go after them. If nothing else I would consider this to be "suspicious activity" and warrant investigation. I don't know about you, but someone unexpectedly rings my bell and pounds on the door at 1:00 AM and then takes off no less I would want the local PoPo to follow up. Hell I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone on this board in the same situation would first arm themselves prior to taking the next step.

Last edited:
If someone knocked on my door and then ran when they saw me, I'd think they were looking for an empty house to burglarize. That would be my first thought. As a civilian, calling 911 to get this guy doesn't seem like a foreign concept so if I were a police officer, I can see why he pursued him.

What happened from there? Well lunging for an officer's gun if this happened? Not smart.

Paranoid much?? JC where the hell do you live compton? I'm sorry but, ya this kid shouldnt have been pranking people but what next manhunts and hangings for a kid who prank calls someone...... "is your refrigerator running....."

If I recall BigRed is having problems with his neighbor douchebags doing the same to him, next time should he chase them and shoot them? I can promise he would be blasted here. So please just because some kid did something dumb does not warrant his murder, by any stretch.

Something certainly doesn't add up here but If that were me and some guy in his undies and slippers came and chased me down with a gun you could bet I would "fight back". This cop should have NEVER pursued him for knocking and running. Gimme a break....... This smells like crap all around.

I thought the original story said there had been several recent break-ins. If you wanted to break into someone's home what better way to insure the house is empty than to ring the bell and bang on the door? I would say under the circumstance it wouldn't be a stretch to go after them. If nothing else I would consider this to be "suspicious activity" and warrant investigation. I don't know about you, but someone unexpectedly rings my bell and pounds on the door at 1:00 AM and then takes off no less I would want the local PoPo to follow up. Hell I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone on this board in the same situation would first arm themselves prior to taking the next step.

I would probably arm myself and depending on the neighborhood and history of events call the PD but certainly would not get in my car and go after him. Just sounds a little over zealous to me

I feel for both parties involved.

You always hear comments like "He's a good kid. He was working hard". Not to sound like an insensitive ass, but I have hear/read that a million times before.

Something certainly doesn't add up here but If that were me and some guy in his undies and slippers came and chased me down with a gun you could bet I would "fight back". This cop should have NEVER pursued him for knocking and running. Gimme a break....... This smells like crap all around.

I don't think the PO was in his undies and slippers. Aside from that it sounded like he had a marked sheriffs car in the driveway. I believe that to be the vehicle he used to chase down this kid. I have no doubt this kid knew the man confronting him was a cop. I think the only thing that is unknown is whether or not this kid went after the cop. If he did, then the PO was justified. If not......the cop should be locked away with no possibility of getting out.

I based my opinion only on the news articles I've read. I was not there and did not witness this incident so I can only go on what is reported.

I don't think the PO was in his undies and slippers. Aside from that it sounded like he had a marked sheriffs car in the driveway. I believe that to be the vehicle he used to chase down this kid. I have no doubt this kid knew the man confronting him was a cop. I think the only thing that is unknown is whether or not this kid went after the cop. If he did, then the PO was justified. If not......the cop should be locked away with no possibility of getting out.

I based my opinion only on the news articles I've read. I was not there and did not witness this incident so I can only go on what is reported.

The article stated he was in shorts and sandals.....Regardless something doesn't add up here. I just don't buy it, it doesn't seem to make sense. JMO

No one will ever know what really happened as there's now only one side to the story...

Well no not exactly the article states he was walking home with a roommate, so we "might" get the story from a third party.

-side note....woot woot 1,000th post

The article stated he was in shorts and sandals.....Regardless something doesn't add up here. I just don't buy it, it doesn't seem to make sense. JMO

The article said the kid was on his way home from the bar, kid was probably hammered, turning the dim bulb off. And who knows why the deputy decided to go after him. Sounded like he had a cruiser in the driveway - which to most would say "lets not eff with this house" - unless they have a specific beef with the guy, ie someone he arrested previously, etc.

The article said the kid was on his way home from the bar, kid was probably hammered, turning the dim bulb off.

Of course it also stated that this kid was only 20 years old. Last time I was in FL I'm pretty sure the legal drinking age was 21, and since I was there 4 months ago I can't imagine that changed. Care to place any bets who will burden the brunt of the lawsuits to follow?

Not smart on anyones part

Agreed.

Paranoid much?? JC where the hell do you live compton?

If you have been the victim of a crime, you were observed and tested beforehand.

I would probably arm myself and depending on the neighborhood and history of events call the PD but certainly would not get in my car and go after him. Just sounds a little over zealous to me

I agree 100% (based on the facts that we have, of course).

Of course it also stated that this kid was only 20 years old. Last time I was in FL I'm pretty sure the legal drinking age was 21, and since I was there 4 months ago I can't imagine that changed. Care to place any bets who will burden the brunt of the lawsuits to follow?

No one's getting sued.

776.032:

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.--

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).

Down here if it's a clean shoot, they can't even take your gun away from you for evidence or "processing" or anything else; you're not getting sued, charged, or otherwise bothered.

Sounds like a lose-lose for all involved. I wasn't there, I don't know what really happened, so I'm going to refrain from passing judgment here. I will say that this situation sucks, no way around it. You have a dead kid and a cop who even if it was justified will have to live with the fact that he killed him for the rest of his life. From the story, you have a kid who was on his way home from the pub (I know he's underage, but he does have a prior for DUI), it doesn't sound like he was in a perfect frame of mind. I know I'm not the only one posting on this thread who's done something "childish" while drunk.

Hmmm, the friends say that he was not an aggressive person at all, and that it would be completely out of character for him to tackle a police officer, but the facts show that he was actually on the wrestling team, and was possibly quite good.
We also know that he was drinking, and that alcohol makes you feel bigger/stronger than you are, impairs your judgement, and makes you more confident.

Given these facts, it is my opinion that it is safe to assume that the officers account of the events is accurate.

just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom