FL - "Dangerous Gun" Stolen From SWAT Officer

WFTV found out Tuesday an elite and dangerous gun is on the streets after being stolen from a Sanford SWAT officer. Investigators believe car burglars swiped it from inside the officer's unmarked patrol car at his Volusia County home. Investigators aren't sure if the car doors were even locked.

Investigators said there were no obvious signs that someone forced their way in. WFTV’s sources said there was even a special key left in the car's gun rack that allowed the thieves to steal the very high-powered weapon.

Sanford police has shown WFTV how their officers’ train with powerful assault weapons, but now it appears a member of the department's own SWAT team let firepower fall into the wrong hands. Sources told WFTV it was an automatic M-4 assault rifle, stolen from the unmarked vehicle of nine-year veteran Officer John Foshee outside his home in Volusia County over the weekend.

>snip<

Leaving a gun in the car overnight would be a violation of Sanford Police Department’s policy, but the department said Foshee is still on the job and it will be up to the chief to decide what kind of punishment he faces.

“We have policies for everything from changing tires to who to call if you run out of gas. The policy's there and we have to follow it,” said Sgt. David Morgenstern, Sanford police.

http://www.wftv.com/news/23005903/detail.html

My sister (Louisville police detective) used to date a SWAT officer. He was full of good stories, but he was always incredibly paranoid about his gear being stolen from his car. He was also a plains clothes officer (not a dedicated SWAT team) so he always had to have all his SWAT gear with him. He also talked about what a pain it was to bring all that gear inside every night.... 2 rifles (AR and precision), shotgun, not to mention a huge duffle with all his entry tactical gear etc. He said you would be surprised at how many of them left their gear in their vehicles overnight. Not too bad if you park in your garage, but on street parking......

I wonder if I would have my lic pulled for doing such a stupid thing. Would that be considered improper storage at least?

an automatic M-4 assault rifle

Wow. I think that's the very 1st time I've seen a news story that correctly called an assault rifle an assault rifle.

I wonder if I would have my lic pulled for doing such a stupid thing. Would that be considered improper storage at least?

Not in Florida.

790.174:

790.174 Safe storage of firearms required.--

(1) A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.

(2) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:

(a) In a public place; or

(b) In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.

This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

1(3) As used in this act, the term "minor" means any person under the age of 16.

The law is further explained in 784.05.

In Florida, no permit is needed to keep a gun in the home or car, the carry permit is shall issue, so it can't be taken unless you're convicted of a crime or otherwise become federally prohibited, and many branches of LE are exempt from the licensing anyway.

All around, the answer is no, no law was broken, but agency policy probably was.

Last edited:
it's one of mine.

this actually happens more often than you hear about. officer takes car home. wife won't let officer bring scary black rifle in the house, so he leaves it in the vehicle overnight. goes out the next morning and the cars been ransacked, weapon missing, etc. the real issue here is not the elite and dangerous rifle on the street, it's the fact that he left the keys in the lock, and those proprietary keys are now out on the street. hopefully they zap this perp quickly.

No cure for stupid, locks only work when you take the key out. Oh, and maybe he should have locked his cruiser as well. [thinking][hmmm]

this actually happens more often than you hear about.

Cops are also routinely targeted in break ins becuase people know they have firearms. There's countless stories posted on here about it, and even more in real life.

Back
Top Bottom