Fixed bayonet question.

This may be a dumb question, but I searched all threads in gun laws and didn't see an answer...

is there any law preventing the ownership of old military bolt action rifles with fixed bayonets installed? In boston?

My guess would be no, but thinking like Tom Reilly or Menino is something that I can't do because I can't shove my head up my own ass.

Last edited:
Not a dumb question.

What is dumb (sad, really), is that we live in a state where the laws are so screwed up that that question has to be asked.

However, now that I think about it, I wonder if they could charge a person with some trumped-up knife posession violation?

FWIW, it's legal to attach a bayonet to an "assault rifle" as long as the rifle doesn't have a bayonet lug (actually, you can have the lug on there and grind off or weld over the ears that secure the bayonet).

A person could weld a bayonet on, use duct tape or a hose clamp if they wanted to.

is there any law preventing the ownership of old military bolt action rifles with fixed bayonets installed? In boston?

You mean like on this 1917 Enfield?

50years.jpg

Notice there is also one on the M1 Garand and that's a semi auto. Even it isn't considered an 'assault rifle' although many GI's might disagree.

Not shown is the 03a3 with it's bayo, a British Enfield with it's bayo, a Japanese Arisake with it's bayo and others. If bayo's are illegal, I'm in deep doo-doo.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pre ban AK47s with folding bayonets for sale here in Mass and thats like an instant stroke for some democrat gun grabbers in this state, even though I'm pretty sure they're legal if pre ban.
As far as old bolt action rifles... models like this Polish M44 have side folding bayonets bolted to the rifle.

cae2608d.jpg

Not really noticeable but in this shot the bayonet is in the fixed position.

263ec9a1.jpg

These rifles were often sighted in with the bayonet in the fixed position and I have shot mine fixed with considerable improvement in accuracy. This doesn't hold true for all bolt actions, just the M44s.
As far as laws go, I'll be the first to admit I often need a translator/code breaker/abacus to figure out what in the hell they really mean. All I know is with my C&R license I can own this rifle.

I have an M-44 (Russian) which I chose to leave in Maryland for the time being rather than deal with any possible legal hassles... that's why I asked.

I need to gets one of thems bayos for my Enfeild!

I loved the fixed bayo on the M44. I put the bayo out because I like it. I TELL people it shoots better with the bayo out.

Planning on getting a Yugo SKS because that blade bayo looks so cool. [smile]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom