Five Dick's Sporting Goods opening in New England

This weekend on Oct. 16, 2005, Dick's Sporting Goods is scheduled to open five new stores. All of them have a section called the Lodge which sells guns and ammo. They plan to put the Sports Authority under.

The new stores are: Taunton, Leominster and Natick, Mass. Keene (I think) and Concord, NH. They are a national chain with massive buying power and good selections. They also can do special orders.

Full disclosure: I am working PT at one of them. Sadly, no employee discount on guns or ammo. [cry]

Dicks

The Dicks in New York have a huge selection of ammo, especially shotgun.

Any word yet if Dicks will even bother with ammo and guns in MA?

Have bought 3 or 4 0/22's from the one up here in S. Portland but only when they run thier sale on them. Nothing else thier really impressed me, especially the dune behind the counter. A step above walmart but not by much. Ammo prices were high and had only green/yellow Remington and plain old Winchester. I'll buy thier $150 10/22's but nothing else there. Gotta support the small local guy ya know.

Can't see the Mass A(ss)T letting them have those evil guns very long.

Such a great Commonwealth it must be down there.

When I was taking the handgun courses this Summer, I stopped at Dicks in Attleboro. They had plenty of ammo, but corporate won't let them do a case price or any quantity discounts. Bottom line is that the 1K .45 ammo would have cost me $260 at Dick's or $200 at Wal-Mart!

The only thing I used to buy at Dick's was UMC 9mm when it was on sale. Then when Wally World came here their WWB 9mm beat that and I have not been back to Dick's since (for ammo).

They put aq Gander Mountain in Plattsburg, NY recently, and I finally went. Lots of nifty stuff, no good deals on ammo, except Indian 308 (and that's GARBAGE).

Unfortunately, Dick's doesn't have any GREAT deals on ammo, but at least they've got it. I've bought a fair amount of other stuff there as well, especially camping gear.

Nickle said:
Unfortunately, Dick's doesn't have any GREAT deals on ammo, but at least they've got it. I've bought a fair amount of other stuff there as well, especially camping gear.

You are correct. Wait for the ammo (and gun) sales at Dick's. The gun sale prices are very good. If you can bring in any competitor's flier with a lower price on the same stuff, the store manager at Dick's can match it.

The Taunton store has more than 100 firearms in stock—and on display—now and more coming. Mostly shotguns (Remington, Mossberg). All the ammo has not yet arrived.

Dick's also has a program for sportsmen clubs, teams, Boy Scout troops, etc. to get a discount. See a manager.

What store will you be working at? I was thinking of checking out the Framingham one on Sunday.

Adam

I buy cases of Shotgun shells from Dicks when they are on sale. And they give discounts for Cases on those. But as I reload all the calibers that I shoot, I don't really go out looking for factory ammo.

But the prices on Shells when they are on sale are really good. I think that I picked up a case of the Target Loads for like 2.60 a box case price. I think that they are about 4 bucks regular and they were like 3 somthing bucks on sale by the box.

But I know that they have case prices at the one in North Attleboro for Shotshells. Just can't vouch for the ammo prices by the case.

The Dick's in Danvers has a large collection of rifles and shotguns, tons of shotgun ammo and rifle and pistol ammo. Yes the prices aren't so great on pistol and rifle ammo. I asked about reloading supplies, they told me that they only have blackpowder supplies and primers but said that I could get a better price on primers at a gun shop called Magnums in Danvers. They did have a buy one box of ammo get another box free coupon in their Sunday sales mini catalog in the Globe this past Sunday. They are actually pretty helpful and somewhat knowledgeable, at least the sales guys I talked to.

C-pher said:
I buy cases of Shotgun shells from Dicks when they are on sale. And they give discounts for Cases on those. But as I reload all the calibers that I shoot, I don't really go out looking for factory ammo.

But the prices on Shells when they are on sale are really good. I think that I picked up a case of the Target Loads for like 2.60 a box case price. I think that they are about 4 bucks regular and they were like 3 somthing bucks on sale by the box.

But I know that they have case prices at the one in North Attleboro for Shotshells. Just can't vouch for the ammo prices by the case.

C-pher, I spoke to a manager there (Dick's NA) back in June/July about case pricing on .45ACP. He said that they USED to do it, but corporate dropped the hammer on them and they can't do it any more. I can say that Four Seasons was cheaper than Dick's and if Carl can do anything on case lots, he'll do it. Wal-Mart still worked out to be cheaper than FS, but a lot closer than Dick's was.

What I like most about Dick's is that they DO HAVE a gun department, none of the other big chains have a real gun department anymore. Sports Authority has next to nothing unless you call paint-ball guns! Wal-Mart in this area has damn little in gun supplies except around hunting season, then it is gone, guns are gone now at most Wal-Mart's and just a small selection of ammo (at good prices, however).

A few months ago the Dick's in North Attleboro had a big sale on Remington
FMJ 9mm. They even gave me a break on the price (down to 5.50/box)
for buying a full case. Maybe I just got lucky. The sale was over when I
went back to get more a week later.

F

Back
Top Bottom