Fitchburg FID

Anyone dealt with Fitchburg lately? I put a call in asking a few questions before I apply, and haven't gotten a response yet. will the current firearms officer (actually a Detective) entertain questions before someone applies? is he allowed to?

Thanks

Why are you going for an FID instead of an LTC? Maybe answering my own question and you are under 21, but otherwise, you should be going for LTC

I will not discuss my questions in an open forum, thanks for the reminder. I am not statutorily disqualified, but, depending on the issuing dept. they could make problems. I am trying to find out how Fitchburg is, IE, how strict or lenient? I believe they are green but you never know. plus i'm a noob, so please bare with me......

I will not discuss my questions in an open forum, thanks for the reminder. I am not statutorily disqualified, but, depending on the issuing dept. they could make problems. I am trying to find out how Fitchburg is, IE, how strict or lenient? I believe they are green but you never know. plus i'm a noob, so please bare with me......

Call Goal.... join first

If whatever your "thing" is bad enough that you can't discuss it in public you should probably talk to a firearms lawyer before applying for any kind of a license in MA. Fitchburg is not usually a problem for clean folks but if you have shit in your background you may want to contact an attorney, and that goes for any town in MA... you do it the wrong way, fail to disclose something, etc, you can screw yourself out of a license pretty easily.

-Mike

If whatever your "thing" is bad enough that you can't discuss it in public you should probably talk to a firearms lawyer before applying for any kind of a license in MA. Fitchburg is not usually a problem for clean folks but if you have shit in your background you may want to contact an attorney, and that goes for any town in MA... you do it the wrong way, fail to disclose something, etc, you can screw yourself out of a license pretty easily.

-Mike

You are correct sir. I am not statutorily disqualified, but I don't want to jam my self up because of ignorance of firearms law. I had a few questions that were graciously answered via PM from a reliable member here. Thank you for the feed back, this not only helps me, but anyone else doing their due diligence on getting a permit. As you mentioned i don't want to screw myself........

I have dealt with Detective Daigle on a couple occasions to get my license in Fitchburg. He was very backlogged with license requests when i made my first phone call to book the LTC interview. However, he is very responsive to any questions you have by email (usually responded within 3 days for email rather than 1.5-2wks on a voicemail). I would call the reception desk at the dept to get his email.

He is a very straight "to the point" officer. He had my handwritten application with my elaborate explanations written down for my LTC (I have it because i run a business and frequently handle large amounts of $), and he shortened the line when he typed it to ALP saying something to the effect of "He (Chief) doesn't need to read all that. You have all the references and no criminal record. We will have your license in around 6 months because we're super backed up, and have applicants daily for the next few weeks booked".

Thankfully, my Unrestricted Class A came in within 5 weeks. Sidenote: The officers desk literally says "Dont screw with us. Don't lie. Even if you have an expunged charge from when you were 13, and don't tell us, you will be immediately denied a license."

I will echo what drgrant said, and advise you to speak to a firearms-centric lawyer.

I have dealt with Detective Daigle on a couple occasions to get my license in Fitchburg. He was very backlogged with license requests when i made my first phone call to book the LTC interview. However, he is very responsive to any questions you have by email (usually responded within 3 days for email rather than 1.5-2wks on a voicemail). I would call the reception desk at the dept to get his email.

He is a very straight "to the point" officer. He had my handwritten application with my elaborate explanations written down for my LTC (I have it because i run a business and frequently handle large amounts of $), and he shortened the line when he typed it to ALP saying something to the effect of "He (Chief) doesn't need to read all that. You have all the references and no criminal record. We will have your license in around 6 months because we're super backed up, and have applicants daily for the next few weeks booked".

Thankfully, my Unrestricted Class A came in within 5 weeks. Sidenote: The officers desk literally says "Dont screw with us. Don't lie. Even if you have an expunged charge from when you were 13, and don't tell us, you will be immediately denied a license."

I will echo what drgrant said, and advise you to speak to a firearms-centric lawyer.

Great info! I have saved time and queried both my level 1 CORI and my CARI. my CARI flat out states "No juvenile Record" which I knew. (but checked anyway) I have no disqualifiers on my CORI. I am going to speak to a lawyer though for a couple questions I have. The way things are nowadays in regard to firearm laws, I just want to know what I am doing.

Thanks again for the input!

Great info! I have saved time and queried both my level 1 CORI and my CARI. my CARI flat out states "No juvenile Record" which I knew. (but checked anyway) I have no disqualifiers on my CORI. I am going to speak to a lawyer though for a couple questions I have. The way things are nowadays in regard to firearm laws, I just want to know what I am doing.

Thanks again for the input!

If you were arrested for any reason, they will find out about it. There is no such thing as a sealed record when it comes to law enforcement.

A CORI is shitty mc shit level for a BG check. It only will show stuff that is publicly disclosable. LE on the other hand sees -everything-.

-Mike

If you were [STRIKE= ]arrested[/STRIKE] EVER IN COURT on a criminal charge for any reason, they will find out about it. There is no such thing as a sealed record when it comes to law enforcement.

A CORI is shitty mc shit level for a BG check. It only will show stuff that is publicly disclosable. LE on the other hand sees -everything-.

-Mike

FIFY

Back in the day, my first Chief recommended that I not arrest anyone for any non-violent action, but to Summons them to court. They still face criminal charges, so there is no difference wrt the BOP, it's just that they didn't spend time in silver bracelets and warm a cell.

They still do that a fair amount in my town.

Last edited:
If you were arrested for any reason, they will find out about it. There is no such thing as a sealed record when it comes to law enforcement.

-Mike

I appreciate the help, but some of you need to stop with the assumptions/assuming, I'm not trying to be sneaky about anything. My CARI states no juvenile record, because I have no juvenile record, period! no arrests, no charges and no sealed record! again, I have no disqualifiers! my CORI is accurate. I have some questions about something MINOR and I have my head wrapped around to not be deceitful. I just wanted some info because I am unfamiliar with licensing procedure. Again fella's DON'T assume please! their is nothing nefarious going on. I can only repeat this so many times. Amerry223 gave the kind of info I am looking for.

Thanks!

Len, I have some questions for the firearms officer above and beyond what we discussed. I am disappointed my questions snowballed into a "I'm trying to lie and get over" thread....

Len, I have some questions for the firearms officer above and beyond what we discussed. I am disappointed my questions snowballed into a "I'm trying to lie and get over" thread....

Don't sweat it, most threads here devolve to all sorts of imagined off-the-topic stuff. You need to let that stuff roll off your back on NES as very few read a thread before adding their 2cents and thus their response doesn't fit the scenario.

Don't sweat it, most threads here devolve to all sorts of imagined off-the-topic stuff. You need to let that stuff roll off your back on NES as very few read a thread before adding their 2cents and thus their response doesn't fit the scenario.

okay, thanks for the explanation, and thanks again for your help via PM [wave]

I don't think that anyone thinks that you're lying. Just that an innocent mis-statement, or error, or "Oh, I forgot about that," can screw you over good, and for permanent.

It's like knowing that the gun is unloaded, because you put it away empty - you still check it.

I was once at GOAL, when a call came in. Caller was upset, as he'd misunderstood the old form's Question 10 (now #4), and since he had appeared before a judge, though it was dismissed, and said, "No." Now the PD was saying, "No LTC for you!"

He was pretty much screwed. [sad] This is why the caution and over-carefulness.

I don't think that anyone thinks that you're lying. Just that an innocent mis-statement, or error, or "Oh, I forgot about that," can screw you over good, and for permanent.

It's like knowing that the gun is unloaded, because you put it away empty - you still check it.

I was once at GOAL, when a call came in. Caller was upset, as he'd misunderstood the old form's Question 10 (now #4), and since he had appeared before a judge, though it was dismissed, and said, "No." Now the PD was saying, "No LTC for you!"

Thanks for looking out for people, much appreciated.

I appreciate the help, but some of you need to stop with the assumptions/assuming, I'm not trying to be sneaky about anything. My CARI states no juvenile record, because I have no juvenile record, period! no arrests, no charges and no sealed record! again, I have no disqualifiers! my CORI is accurate. I have some questions about something MINOR and I have my head wrapped around to not be deceitful. I just wanted some info because I am unfamiliar with licensing procedure. Again fella's DON'T assume please! their is nothing nefarious going on. I can only repeat this so many times. Amerry223 gave the kind of info I am looking for.

Thanks!

Also you should know that when people answer here, we're also providing info to head off the next 2 questions and for the next 2 people that have similar questions. Since you were being vague with your situation, you can't blame people for assuming certain details, otherwise there would be no way to answer anything.

Also you should know that when people answer here, we're also providing info to head off the next 2 questions and for the next 2 people that have similar questions. Since you were being vague with your situation, you can't blame people for assuming certain details, otherwise there would be no way to answer anything.

^^^^this

Also, not everyone is inculcated in the PRM's labyrinthine rules. Guy I worked with had a key ring with an inert cartridge on it as a fob. He let it "slip" that he'd been a bad boy in his past, and had vacationed at the Greybar Hotel, in another state (Fed. PP). He had no clue that he was setting himself up for a world of hurt, when he accepted the keychain from an army buddy of his dad. He appreciated my warning (when I explained the I taught this stuff), as he said, that he never had a "routine" traffic stop.

Thanks!

I'm not assuming anything, just telling you that a CORI is completely worthless in terms of determining whether or not something is going to come up. That's all. A family member of mine who has his LTC has several ancient DUI arrests that didn't show on his CORI but he still mentions them when he renews his license, and it's not a problem.

-Mike

The judge that I appeared before was a JAG captain. My court martial took all of 90 minutes and I was out with a BCD about a month later. I disclosed it. Got LTC no problem. FID would have been my plan B if the LTC was denied. I am not a prohibited person and the FID is "shall issue".

Not since 2014 law change. It is may issue same as LTC.
Limited discretion, according to my attorney. Chief or his/her delegate must provide written proof to a judge as to why the FID applicant would pose a threat to public safety and the applicant would have the right to challenge it every step of the way. In my case, the court martial and BCD was the result of refusing the dangerous anthrax vaccine. No similar punishment exists in civilian life. If chiefs were allowed total, unfettered discretion for FID cards as well, they could theoretically disarm their entire communities with a blanket refusal to issue any at all.

Do you really believe in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you would prevail in court?

The chiefs in theory already have that power, it is political pressure which keeps many of them from exerting it. Hillary won this state overwhelmingly and the record of the courts is very clear.
Attorney said federal court. He quoted the Heller and McDonald cases, among others. Service on the chief would via United States Marshal Service. Attorney said that alone is an attention-getter!

Attorney said federal court. He quoted the Heller and McDonald cases, among others. Service on the chief would via United States Marshal Service. Attorney said that alone is an attention-getter!

Yes, you can file a civil suit based on US Constitution in Fed Court, but as Comm2A will tell you and has found out, it is dangerous unless done exactly correctly as it has the potential of making bad case law (as has already happened a number of times and places).

I hate to break it to you but no US Marshal is going to serve a simple USDC Summons & Complaint. People like myself (Constable) serve that paper and it doesn't scare any chief or anyone else in gov't! Even the DOJ (for the IRS) has had me serve lawsuits for them and if the US Marshal Service did that sort of thing they would not have had to pay me. I serve a fair amount of paper generated by US District Courts.

IANAL but I believe you will discover the chief must file his objections in District Court of his state district to enforce State law. It would never get to federal court easily and if there was such a threat it wouldn't be the first time a prosecution was abandoned in Massachusetts to prevent it from being heard in Federal Court.

True, but he's talking about taking another approach and filing a suit on Constitutional grounds rather than responding to the chief's request to the MA District Court for a denial.

Do you really believe in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you would prevail in court?

The chiefs in theory already have that power, it is political pressure which keeps many of them from exerting it. Hillary won this state overwhelmingly and the record of the courts is very clear.

None of this matters because as a practical matter even the douchey mc douche towns still rubber stamp FID apps for most people.

-Mike

I hate to break it to you but no US Marshal is going to serve a simple USDC Summons & Complaint. People like myself (Constable) serve that paper and it doesn't scare any chief or anyone else in gov't! Even the DOJ (for the IRS) has had me serve lawsuits for them and if the US Marshal Service did that sort of thing they would not have had to pay me. I serve a fair amount of paper generated by US District Courts.

Let's use the word typically. Federal District Court filings that are made in Forma Pauperis are served (per court order) by the Civil Division of the USMS (though another entity can be appointed by the court to effect such service.

Though people like to throw it around like a form intimidation, it would be effectively indifferent from service by any other process server.

Yes, you can file a civil suit based on US Constitution in Fed Court, but as Comm2A will tell you and has found out, it is dangerous unless done exactly correctly as it has the potential of making bad case law (as has already happened a number of times and places).

True, but he's talking about taking another approach and filing a suit on Constitutional grounds rather than responding to the chief's request to the MA District Court for a denial.
I personally watched a U.S Marshal (young woman) serve a summons and complaint on a former employer. The company was told to produce documents or the whole high command (president, veep, treasurer and comptroller) had better take care of their personal business and pack a toothbrush!

Back
Top Bottom