• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishing line - how old is too old?

I know that line that is on reels and out in the elements should be changed regularly. How about line that's still on spools, kept in a box indoors? I just ran across an old stash of monofilament and braid line that's never been used. Does it lose strength over time, or can I trust it?

The braid I wouldn't worry about but. Mono tends to develop a memory and will sometimes get a chalky coating. Especially the older monofiliment lines. The newer stuff is much better. I will toss mono that has either.

Bob

The braid I wouldn't worry about but. Mono tends to develop a memory and will sometimes get a chalky coating. Especially the older monofiliment lines. The newer stuff is much better. I will toss mono that has either.

Bob
+1
One of the perks of braid is the long shelf life. Mono I would try some out and see how it is. If it feels brittle or has memory, toss it out. I've bought brand new mono that has been junk before it even got home. Long time in the warehouse/on the shelf. It's hit or miss. I've never understood why mono boxes don't have a "born on" or "expiration" date of sorts.

+1
One of the perks of braid is the long shelf life. Mono I would try some out and see how it is. If it feels brittle or has memory, toss it out. I've bought brand new mono that has been junk before it even got home. Long time in the warehouse/on the shelf. It's hit or miss. I've never understood why mono boxes don't have a "born on" or "expiration" date of sorts.

this i got a bad box of mono today that i was useing to splice with my braid the braid is 100x better expecialy because its hard to tangle

Back
Top Bottom