• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First time Reloader. What do I need?

Hi guys,
I've come to the sad realization that I need to pony up and get into reloading if I want to shoot more often and work on my group size without becoming an even more broke college student.
I'm not looking to spend more that about $350 for my first setup, so I'd like to get a nice setup that will last me a while. I see RCBS or Lee have kits thrown together but I'm unsure are worth the price, or if it's cheaper to get exactly what I need separately.
The calibers I'm going to be reloading are.
30-06 Springfield
8mm Mauser
308 Winchester/7.62x51 Nato
41 Action Express
and maybe 9mm luger as well if it's worth it.

Thanks all for your input ahead of time.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. The reloader kit can be had for around that, or just buy the Rock Chucker and buy the other stuff you need which would probably be better. I would get a digital scale if you can swing it. Dies vary in price but with the basic setup you can do straight wall pistol cartridges pretty easily, and I would start with 9mm, them move on. You will need a way to trim bottleneck cartridges, and remove the primer crimp.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

What cal do you shoot the most. Oh and if you can take Eddiecoyles reloading class.
If you need everything $350 is cutting it close. Unless you get crafty and find some deals or used stuff.
I use lee dies for the cal I do not shoot a lot like 8mm Hauser ,7.5 Swiss, 54r.

Any single stage press from Lee classic cast , rcbs , hornady, reading, Lyman will work.
I like my hornady with the quick bushing set up... although this adds to the cost as you need bushings for your dies.

You don't need a tumbler right away you can just wash your brass for now. Dish soapy water rinse and dry.

If you want to go super budget you can buy the lee classic loaders for those caps you only shoot a 100 rounds or so each year.

Know a few people with the lee hand loader
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050Z5A6E...e=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0050Z5A6E

My buddy went with the lee classic cast kit found it on sale free shipping on memorial day sale 239$ it's not the best but works.

Last edited:
I probably shoot 308 the most, followed by 8mm Mauser and then the 30-06 (which is for the Garand)
Yeah, right around $350-400 is where I want to set my limit for the first setup for now. Mostly said it so that people arn't throwing out these $700-1200 progressive setups at me.
I was looking at the rock chucker, but I see they also make a turret model. Wasn't sure what the real difference was or which one was better to go with

A friend of mine picked up my single stage setup when I moved on to a progressive then later decided he wasn't going to reload afterall. He would probably make you a good deal on it, hit him up, he is Doinky72 on here but isn't on much these days. He has a Lyman press and powder drop, not sure what else. I'll send him a link to the thread also.

You over-looked one of the most important items. A good reloading manual. These are invaluable. For a first time kit, I'd suggest the LEE Anniversary kit. It will do everything you need it to do as good as any kit and cost a whole lot less. Sure, other kits are nicer and will last longer, but I've been cranking the handle on my lee single stage for over 15 years and its still going strong. Even after you upgrade, there's always a need for a single stage.

You can get the kit, everything you need, along with components, and have your first 100 rounds loaded for a shade over $200.00 (for one caliber)

As you gain experience, replace the items in your kit for tools you like better that suit your needs.

I'm still using my Lee 4 hole turret press years later for .223. In your price range I would highly recommend picking up:
1) Lee Turret kit
2) a decent digital scale
3) reloading manual.
4) a small tumbler for cleaning brass
5) a trimming tool
6) a chamfer tool to remove primer pocket crimp

I'm not sure you can squeeze all of that into your budget and still get dies.

You can go as basic as a hand press, but a beefier, bench-mounted press is much easier, especially for full-length rifle brass resizing. Were you ever down Foxwood's way, I'd say stop in and sit in on a reloading session. Bring your rifle(s), brass, bullets, primers and powder to assure we have the essentials covered. I have dies, h/s case gauges, etc., for all but .41 AE. Shoot onsite.
Oh, I do have some 180gr coated bullets on hand for .323"
Cheers!

RCBS press for $60 on armslist (Hartford area)
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4630403/hartford-connecticut-reloading-for-sale--rcbs-reloading-press

Last edited:
Ok so maybe those on the budget end will chime in also.

Its hard to beat lee on price alone. That said I will run down what I bought right out of the gate.

Hornady classic kit

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hornady-Lock-N-Load-Classic-Kit/25530588 250$ free shipping.
This is the kit I have and has done me well. Sold the 500 free bullets to offset the cost.
I also took advantage of rebates. RCBS had decent cash rebates when I bought RCBS trimmer and some dies.

The hornady classic deluxe kit has what I needed to buy after my kit and I feel it's pretty good deal. You need to shop around for prices.
Still need a trimmer. http://t.basspro.com/Hornady-LockNLoad-Classic-Deluxe-Reloading-Kit/product/1204100500516/ That said my original investment including enough powder,bullets,primers and such came to about 700$ .

I have thought about a few lee classic turret presses for my bulk 223 plinking loads and 9mm?
Only thing is I do not shoot much any more and have lots of time to reload so cranking out loads on the single stage several times a week doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
lee turret kit .. cheap and really work well.
Digital scale
digital calipers
Impact bullet puller to fix mistake
vibrating brass cleaner
lee dies

I run a Dillon now for 9mm and I'm never going back, that said my Lee Turret is working so well I haven't had the drive to buy a 650 to replace it. One of these days it'll break and I'll know it's already paid me back way more than it cost me. Hell, literally every time I reload 1k of 223 I save more than what the press costs. I've reloaded 2k in the past week.

You will need knowledge and patience! Get a good reloading manual, read it twice and take your time when you start. If you are unsure, read more. Small mistakes get you in trouble fast.
Everyone will tell you the press they like is what you want, but it might not be what you NEED. Read the instructions again. Do lots of research.

As for manuals and books on reloading don't buy any just yet.
Try your local library I found several reloading books all where full of info but some I would have been not to happy paying money for.
Also you local gun club can be a great source of books ( we have a library you can borrow from) and there is always stuff for sale. 2 clubs I goto have weekend breakfast and there's always something for sale. Check flea markets also. I found some nice brand new die sets for 10$ ea. Rcbs 30 carbine ,357 and some other small items.,... recognized the boxes stuffed in the corner.
I,have not been out and about for a few years though.

Ask Eddy Coyle when is his next available class
take the class (bring a sandwich)
Get the RCBS Rock Chucker
Get the Hornady quick change conversion kit and extra collars

I believe Rcbs has a rebate through the end of the year. 50 back on 300 or more or 10 back on 50 or more. At least that is what the flier I received from midsouth says (they offer the rock chicken supreme master reloading kit for $324 before RCBS rebate . Not sure if that is a good price)

Thanks for the info guys.
Yeah, I saw the RCBS rebate deal, but like you said, I wasn't sure if the Lee was still a better deal than the RCBS + Rebate. The only thing I really know about reloading is to go with carbide dies when buying, haha. I'm not going to even pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.

For instance, I'm not sure which of these would be the best deal in the long run, or if I'd just end up replacing most all of it save for the press.
This RCBS kit,
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-...e=UTF8&qid=1444361977&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+ki
VS This RCBS kit
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Turret-D...F8&qid=1444362113&sr=8-2&keywords=rcbs+turret
Vs This Lee kit
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Turret-D...F8&qid=1444362113&sr=8-2&keywords=rcbs+turret
VS this Lee kit
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...44362296&sr=8-2&keywords=lee+reloading+turret

Last edited:
Stuck case remover.

Its a good thing to have on hand before you need it. When you do need it, youre back in business in five minutes rather than waiting a couple days for it to be shipped.

Stuck case remover.

Its a good thing to have on hand before you need it. When you do need it, youre back in business in five minutes rather than waiting a couple days for it to be shipped.

If you have a Lee die, a hammer and a small wood chisel stuck cases are a two minute thing. That said if you had lanolin lube you should never have a stuck case. I can't remember the last time I had one.

If you have a Lee die, a hammer and a small wood chisel stuck cases are a two minute thing. That said if you had lanolin lube you should never have a stuck case. I can't remember the last time I had one.

Also once you have a stuck case that needs a "kit" to remove them and you don't hAve one on hand. You might never use it again once you buy the kit and have it sit on the shelf.

I would hold off until closer to the holidays. I found some good deals and most came with free shipping.

If your budget is $350, then a Dillon is out of the question.

Watch the sales and you can get a great single stage press like a Rockchucker for under $120. It will last you a lifetime, and always be useful even if you decide to get a progressive later.

Forget the kits. Get an inexpensive Frankford Arsenal digital scale, a no-name Cabelas tumbler and media separator kit, Hornady dial calipers, a Hornady or RCBS powder measure, Lee dies, and a case gage for each caliber.

If you want to take a class, click on the link in my sig line. If you take my class and don't think it was worth it, I'll refund your money on the spot.

I will second what Eddie said. I started on an old RCBS Rockchucker that belonged to my father. While I have upgraded to a Dillon 550B I still have the Rockchucker mounted and use it for a lot of case prep and for sensitive rounds like the 5.7. The thing is a beast. I use Lee dies for most of my calibers but have found some issue with them. The original dies for the 5.7x28 were Lee and were not sizing properly. I have yet to run into that kind of trouble with RCBS dies.

I agree with EC except for the choice of powder measure. I have been using a cheapo beam scale for over 30 years with great results. I have replaced most of my reloading equipment many times over, except for the Lyman beam scale that came with my first reloading kit.

I've had very consistent results using my the Hornady Powder Measure that came with the L-n-L AP press. I've been using a RCBS 5-0-5 powder scale and once calibrated, it's been an excellent and precise tool. I believe they're on sale at Cabela's, I bought mine back in August for like $55, plus RCBS has a mail-in rebate going on.

For a single stage, look into the Lee classic cast press too. I just picked one up last month just for reloading rifle calibers (30-06, 7.5 swiss and 30 carbine). I bought it from midwayusa and googled for promo codes and found a $15 off code. Got it for $111 shipped.

Currently there are $10 off codes for $100+ purchases (15OCTSAVE) at midway that you could use for the RCBS rockchucker. Get it shipped for $155. There are $20 off codes for $200+ and $30 off codes for $300 purchases.

For pistol (and charging/seating bullets for rifle calibers), I use a Hornady LNL progressive press.

I have acquired 4 Lee turret presses over the years. Fixed them up and sold them. I just picked up a LEE pro 1000. I won't tell you it's the best BUT I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to set up.
The factory directions are a bit vague but the you tube videos fill in the blanks. 15 min worth of video and 40 minutes to set up....cranking out 38spl with easy. Just looking at the press it's not for the impatient or heavy handed.......just a thought

I'm still using my Lee 4 hole turret press years later for .223. In your price range I would highly recommend picking up:
1) Lee Turret kit
2) a decent digital scale
3) reloading manual.
4) a small tumbler for cleaning brass
5) a trimming tool
6) a chamfer tool to remove primer pocket crimp

I'm not sure you can squeeze all of that into your budget and still get dies.

I LOVE my lee classic cast turret.

I use it without the index rod in a batch mode to make precision rifle ammo. (6 fps standard deviation - enough said)

With the index rod in place, I use it to make ammo in calibers I wouldn't otherwise reload because I don't shoot a lot.
.460 S&W Magnum, 44 magnum, .38 special.

The beautiful thing about it is that a caliber change costs only the price of a tool head, about $10 + dies
and with the index rod in place, I can make about 120 rounds per hour.

My Dillon 650 costs about $180 + dies for each additional caliber.

I just traded with a NES member for a Dillon 550. That runs about $60 to change calibers + dies.

The best place to get lee is at fsreloading.com

They are right down the street from Lee. Rumor is that the owner is a Lee family member.

I got set up with everything I needed for a Classic Cast turret for about $180.
press
extra head
powder drop
riser for powder drop

Figure in $50 for a digital scale
$60 for a tumbler
$40 for lee dies

and you should be good.

You mentioned that you would be reloading rifle mostly. So my question is this, what level of precision are you looking for?

I make most of my .223 much the same way I make pistol ammo. As fast as I can.

I make .308 and some .223 like every round is a piece of jewelry that must be as precise as possible. Every powder charge is individually weighed. Cases are trimmed every time they are shot, primer holes are uniformed, all that good stuff.

I shoot .223 mostly through ARs. I shoot .308 mostly through bolt guns at 200-300 yards

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom