• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

first time NFA'er

OK, didn't see a thread for stupid first timers, besides the obvious sticky, but I didn't want to clog that up (I am making my way through it but I thought a one source might be easier) so I figured I'd start one.
Any issue with doing two at the same time? Does that trip some sort of red flag?
I am assuming you have to identify the caliber and barrel length but for an AR based build is it critical? (As in should I wait to get a barrel first or is that 'constrictive purposes')
I didn't do a trust and plan on e-fileing....
Anything I don't know to ask a question about?
Anything you found out the hard way, wished you knew?

Last edited:
OP - welcome to NFA. There are a lot of great resources here but you're right up the street from me (Lakeville). If you ever want to chat about NFA stuff over a beer, I can always make time.

Any issue with doing two at the same time? Does that trip some sort of red flag?
You can have as many forms pending at a time as your wallet allows. You are already on the "list" once you file so don't worry about red flags.

I am assuming you have to identify the caliber and barrel length but for an AR based build is it critical? (As in should I wait to get a barrel first or is that 'constrictive purposes')
You need to list the barrel length, caliber, and overall length on the form 1 so you will at least need to know what length barrel you will be buying and how long the rifle will be with that barrel (there are numerous posts here and elsewhere on how to determine the overall length based on the length of a barrel). Your risk tolerance is your guide as to whether you wait until the form 1 comes back approved to buy the barrel but I would say that you should be fine as long as you do not build it into an upper. Alternatively, you should probably wait until after the form comes back approved to buy a completed SBR upper if you have a lower in the house.

I didn't do a trust and plan on e-fileing....
Covered by other posters above.

Anything I don't know to ask a question about?
Maybe whether the ATF is approving form 1s for MAss residents since your AG used her pen and phone? You might want to check some of the other threads in this subforum to get an answer to that question.

Anything you found out the hard way, wished you knew?
Waiting for stamps to come back sucks. Apply for more than 1 at a time if you think you will want more than 1 and can swing it financially.

This was posted today on the SBR thread...

ef9eaaee33321ea24943071294adf9d0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom