First shoot with my new pistol

so a week ago i got a new M&P9. been dying to shoot it and finally went out with my friend and his fiance who is a LEO and brought us to her range. i have shot before but only renting and its been at least a year. felt great to unload some magazines. cant say i did that great but it was fun and i cant wait to get back out! i also got too shoot my buddies Sig P226 (great shooting gun) and his fiance's Glock .40 which was fun to shoot too. good times had by all and im hooked! [grin]

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisg67
felt great to unload some magazines.

C-pher Sorry, it just drives me nuts....

I must be slow this morning. What's wrong with saying Magazines? Should the OP have said "clips?" WTH am I missing here.

StoneyPete is right too.... we all know how short a drive it is to drive you nuts.

Maybe Mike-Mike can tell me whats wrong with unloading magazines? Pretend I'm a newbie.

I have been shootin for only a year and I have bought ammo for guns I dont even own yet.This way I can justify the purchase[grin]If you have .223 and not the rifle it only makes sense to buy one, right?

You know it's gotten out of control when you find yourself buying a new gun specifically because you started accumulating range brass in a caliber you neither shot nor reloaded, and eventually you had so much of the damn stuff piling up that you just wanted to do something with it.

Yeah, guilty as charged.

so a week ago i got a new M&P9. been dying to shoot it and finally went out with my friend and his fiance who is a LEO and brought us to her range. i have shot before but only renting and its been at least a year. felt great to unload some magazines. cant say i did that great but it was fun and i cant wait to get back out! i also got too shoot my buddies Sig P226 (great shooting gun) and his fiance's Glock .40 which was fun to shoot too. good times had by all and im hooked! [grin]

Congratulations!

I've an M&P 9 too and like it. It did take a trigger job and about 500 rounds before I became happy with my groups though. It's a very light gun and that took some getting used to for me. You've got a lot more felt recoil then you would with an all steel gun and the triggers a lot stiffer then a SA/DA which took some getting used to. I need to use a much tighter grip to keep from pulling my shots. Put a drop of CLP on the sear and I've found it shoots a lot smoother.

Congratulations!

I've an M&P 9 too and like it. It did take a trigger job and about 500 rounds before I became happy with my groups though. It's a very light gun and that took some getting used to for me. You've got a lot more felt recoil then you would with an all steel gun and the triggers a lot stiffer then a SA/DA which took some getting used to. I need to use a much tighter grip to keep from pulling my shots. Put a drop of CLP on the sear and I've found it shoots a lot smoother.

i have read people saying that alot, im going to wait until i hit 500rnds (only shot about 100 yesterday) and then i will think about the trigger job. we were shooting things like little wood blocks so it was hard to see what i did wrong when i missed, so it was a bit discouraging. next time i go im bringing actual targets so i can learn what im doing.

hmmm

kinda like buying a pair of grips for a gun you dont even own yet or researching sites for grips for a gun you dont own yet.... (1911) yea getting one soon! Thanks group buy for sucking away my money huzzah!!! [laugh][laugh2]

i have read people saying that alot, im going to wait until i hit 500rnds (only shot about 100 yesterday) and then i will think about the trigger job. we were shooting things like little wood blocks so it was hard to see what i did wrong when i missed, so it was a bit discouraging. next time i go im bringing actual targets so i can learn what im doing.

If you've got the MA compliant version don't even wait, get the trigger job now otherwise you're just going to have to get used to the gun all over again after you do. There's no way you're going to get any kind of accuracy with a 10lb trigger. It's still plenty hefty after it's been worked over so if you're worried about it being too light for a self-defense gun; don't. That trigger's not going to go unless you want it to.

I love the M&Ps. I have the M&P .45 and that thing shoots holes out of the target...

When we did the S&W Tour for my birthday last year...or the year before...I shot several of them and knew that I was going to one one one day.

I second the trigger job. We bought my wife a brand new M&P9 fullsize for her first pistol a few months ago. She's a bit let down by her performance with it, but I have to keep puting some of my own pistols in her hands afterwards to prove to her that it's just the horrible M&P mASS trigger that's doing it too her. (she shoots very well with most of mine) It will be going for a visit to Greg Derr for a trigger tune-up as part of her Christmas present this year.

Great gun otherwise. It's got to be one of the slimest double-stack pistols I've handled. It fits my hand very well. I may pick up one of my own someday.

If you've got the MA compliant version don't even wait, get the trigger job now otherwise you're just going to have to get used to the gun all over again after you do. There's no way you're going to get any kind of accuracy with a 10lb trigger. It's still plenty hefty after it's been worked over so if you're worried about it being too light for a self-defense gun; don't. That trigger's not going to go unless you want it to.

I can testify to that!
First time at the range with a 5 pound trigger pull I shot groups from my aim 4" and 2" left.

Thats was after firing a couple of other 9mm with heavier pull. Swore I was dead on and there was something wrong with the sights.

Second time out I was dead on target at least as dead on as I always usually are at 25 yds.

Love that pistol though![grin]

hmm maybe i will do the trigger job sooner then later. how much does that go for usually?

Do a search, Greg Derr amongst other gunsmiths can perform this procedure. While I have not had it done yet with well over 1000 rounds down the pipe, I am looking forward to the day to drop it off for the trigger job.

Good luck

With Greg Derr, it's cheaper than you probably think, and quicker as well, providing he's not swamped with work, but I don't want to speak for him. If you e-mail him I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly.

Back
Top Bottom