First shoot of 2015 and an ouch

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
The past couple of days I've been sorting and reorganizing my ammunition and collection. I put the little cardboard hang tags on each piece that I remembered to remind me where to aim to hit at 100 yards. Now I need to shoot the few that I don't remember. Today I brought the Yugo 8mm conversion of a 1903 Bulgarian contract Steyr. Sunny, clear, light breeze and a chilly 24 degrees. The two boxes of '54 Yugo were the worst surplus I've ever shot. Three split cases and three double taps out of 30 rounds. Ouch, ouch, and ouch. In the 3,000 rounds of Yugo 8mm surplus I've shot, I've had only one split case on a '53. The bolt was filthy with soot. My forehead is peppered with powder marks. I happened to be wearing over-sunglasses on top of my glasses which have OSHA spec lenses. My wife pulled a few of the larger pieces out of my skin with pointed tweezers, but the smaller ones will have to work their way out over time.

As for the shooting the windage was great, but I compensated too low; between 1/2 down and on the bottom of the paper. Next time I'm a little below center. I shot at 100 yards, prone, with hasty sling. The straight pull is the easiest one for a lefty like me to shoot.

Happy Shooting and Happy New Year!

T

Last edited:
I gave up on the 8mm surplus. Only 8mm I shoot now is either the 1980s sniper stuff or PPU.
Nice to get out....I'm itching but I won't get out anytime soon.
I would say that's not to bad of a group for surplus and not knowing your hold for that rifle.

Too bad the M95 I have for sale has the swivel on the left side of the stock. It shoots a nice group at 100 yards despite the rear sight starting at 300.

I am interested Ray, but for an 8x56R I'd like an original Austrian long rifle for my WWI collection. The sling is on the bottom as well.

Besides the Bank of Wife would be most unhappy as I've spent enough recently. BTW, the '54 8MM was yours from the October sale!

T

Tim your a lefty you don't need any special sling swivel location.... if you do your not a real lefty.[smile]

Tim your a lefty you don't need any special sling swivel location.... if you do your not a real lefty.[smile]

It's why I let my '37 Lion Crest VZ24 go. My left hand can't grasp the small of the stock as my fingers can't close over the swivel; a righties fingers have no obstruction. We all know it's a righties world out there; even in MilSurp land.[angry]

T

I am interested Ray, but for an 8x56R I'd like an original Austrian long rifle for my WWI collection. The sling is on the bottom as well.

Besides the Bank of Wife would be most unhappy as I've spent enough recently. BTW, the '54 8MM was yours from the October sale!

T

It's definitely dirty ammo with hard primers. That's why most people use a Wolf spring when shooting it. I never had a case split on me though and I've shot several hundred rounds from the same batch. Could it be due to the rifle conversion? Quite a bit of difference if you compare 8x56r and 7.92x57 Mauser side by side.

It's definitely dirty ammo with hard primers. That's why most people use a Wolf spring when shooting it. I never had a case split on me though and I've shot several hundred rounds from the same batch. Could it be due to the rifle conversion? Quite a bit of difference if you compare 8x56r and 7.92x57 Mauser side by side.

Who knows. I've shot plenty off 8mm out of this one with no issues, I assume it's just the box. I shot a couple others out of my DOT44 with no issues, which is why I grabbed a couple of them today. I have 22# Wolffs in my Gew98s as the springs were older and weaker, but the factory springs in my K98k were strong enough to handle it with the odd double tap. It's definitely hit or miss with '50s era M49 Yugo ammo. The three sealed cases I've bought (two '53s and a '56) have definitely performed better than loose boxes of 8mm I've picked up here and there. I assume that even old, they are more stable as still being in a sealed container after 60 years or so.

I shot my friend's M95 in 8x56R; definitely more kick - and more painful since with the weight loss I've lost the natural padding over my shoulder! Another reason I would like an original full-length WWI M95.

T

Last edited:
Headspace issue?

Doubt it. I've shot about 350 rounds of 50's Yugo out of it without any double taps before IIRC.

T

I'll try again with a couple of boxes of '79 M75.

ED: It did pass my field gauge before I used it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom