First M1 Garand tomorrow

My M1 shipped today and will be in my hands tomorrow! Been reading up, looking at you tube etc etc. If I looked up the serial number correctly looks like a SA Sept. 1944. This rifle will be a shooter and I will never sell it, that being said I have plenty of gun cleaning equipment, and I know I need a sling, what else? tools? grease? etc? I'm getting confused with all the info out there.
Thanks for getting my head to stop spinning and I will post photos when the rifle arrives.

Plenty of HXP ammo?? [smile]

I just use Hoppes gun grease - seems to work fine. When I got mine a couple years ago I just broke it down for cleaning/lube and was off to the range. I can't think of any other tools/supplies you need for the garand.

Congrats
Seriously every thing you need to know is in the book titles read this first that will be in the case. Oh check under the foam of your case.
Grease: Im still using the same water proof marine grease my dad had on the shelf...
Tools you really don't need any special tools.
1/4" drive T handle works great for a gas tool.....,or get a M10 tool
http://www.fulton-armory.com/combotoolm10.aspx
Really JCG did a great job designing the M1 to the point where a 30-06 bullet tip and a screwdriver would so just about any field operation shy of a barrel change.
My only advice is clean it well then a good CLP and grease points
Some links
https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html

If anything make sure your bore is clean and dry before you shoot it.
Gas cylinder lock screw is tight
Front sight lock screw is tight
Take the time to read and learn how to make sure rear sight is correctly tightened.
Check to make sure your op rod spring is in one piece and there's no pieces of spring lodged in the open rod itself.
All of these I have encountered over the years with M1s from CMP and private sales.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but
Hanson has their CMP shoot this Sat 8am several guys there that can help you out. Ask Paul or Steve. Laid back event perfect for zeroing and getting used to your rifle.
July 10th at Old Colony in Pembroke has their CMP sanction As issued M1 match.
200 yards of fun.

Last edited:
If you are just going to be using it at the range do yourself a favor and get a "thumbsaver" aka "Holbrook device". It takes 5 mins to change out when you dissaemble and it
A) keeps the bolt from automatically going forward when you load a clip
B) does not automatically eject the clip into the snow when you fire a full clip (and you waste 30 mins of your range time trying to find them all
C) allows you to load an empty clip in and partially load rounds if the need arises. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you are just going to be using it at the range do yourself a favor and get a "thumbsaver" aka "Holbrook device". It takes 5 mins to change out when you dissaemble and it
A) keeps the bolt from automatically going forward when you load a clip
B) does not automatically eject the clip into the snow when you fire a full clip (and you waste 30 mins of your range time trying to find them all
C) allows you to load an empty clip in and partially load rounds if the need arises. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Properly loading a clip the bolt will not go forward.
If it does there is something wrong/worn on your rifle.
What fun is a M1 with out the enbloc ping.....

Properly loading a clip the bolt will not go forward.
If it does there is something wrong/worn on your rifle.
What fun is a M1 with out the enbloc ping.....

All of this! ^

And with a little practice you can single load your garand with one hand.

Rear sights should have a very firm click when adjusted. Mine was loose from the CMP and started moving down during a match, LOL.

Links above and manual should show where to grease / oil. I use Mobil1 grease, works great.

Congrats and enjoy!

Orion 7 spring kit is always a great idea.

+1.

I had to use 3 You-Tube videos to figure out how to strip the trigger assembly, but it was worth it. New springs all around.

A little dowdy, 358K/October '41, CMP field grade with correct stock and 4/3 TE/ME 11/46 barrel, but shoots better than my previous two Garands.

T

Attachments

• DSCN4084.jpg
    DSCN4084.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 52
There are 2 kinds of M1 shooters - those that have gotten "M1 Thumb" & those that are going to get it.... usually only once
(do the knife edge of the hand on the op-rod handle thing)

I've gotten weaker as I've gotten older; my left hand is stronger. My right thumb was dislocated with torn ligaments nearly 30 years ago, and isn't strong enough. So I push the enbloc down with my left thumb and guard/close the op-rod with my right. I usually have to push the action closed, anyway.

How long did you wait from order to shipping? They mailed back my order as they were sold-out/back ordered 2,000 rifles.

T

Last edited:
I clean with Hoppes #9; lube with Tetra Gun Grease. Had some issues at first but the Orion 7 op rod spring fixed it right up. Sling is a great thing to have. Next up for me is staining the stock.

M1 thumb generally happens when the bolt is,not fully locked back and you go and stick your fingers in there and press the follower that's holding the bolt.
2nd is when you nimble with loading.
Take your M1 firmly press the clip in until you hear the "click" do not release the down ward pressure, now unless your parts are worn the bolt should not release until you lift off the pressure.
At that point the bolt may or may not close. If it does not close you just give the op rod a bump. You will JCG himself do this in footage.
I like the film's from the the army's "The Big Picture" min 17 - 18 show a few loadings of the M1

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean with Hoppes #9; lube with Tetra Gun Grease. Had some issues at first but the Orion 7 op rod spring fixed it right up. Sling is a great thing to have. Next up for me is staining the stock.

Not to high jack but what do you plan to use for stain? Are you going to strip off the old finish (I assume it's a new cmp stock?) It stands right off its not very deep as its applied by spraying actually acts more like paint. To keep the color as even as possible between the 3 parts.

I've gotten weaker as I've gotten older; my left hand is stronger. My right thumb was dislocated with torn ligaments nearly 30 years ago, and isn't strong enough. So I push the enbloc down with my left thumb and guard/close the op-rod with my right. I usually have to push the action closed, anyway.

How long did you wait from order to shipping? They mailed back my order as they were sold-out/back ordered 2,000 rifles.

T

Just for a time line ..... friends order hit estore account 3/4 and received it 2 weeks ago. SA WWII serial range.
I think the CMP cut off any new orders after 6/18 or so.?

This thing is great.
http://m1thumbsaver.com/

Allows you to load, shoot just one round also if you like. Have one installed for years. Easy to go back to original if you like also.

Bob
While your at it pull the poppet valve from the cylinder lock screw you will have a fine bolt action [wink]
I know some like convenience when shooting but on your first M1 you should not be doing anything but the way it was intended.....unless your shooting in a match where the sinlge load clip comes in handy especially for lefties!

Here is the old GI single round adapter. M1adClp.jpg

Here is directions to make your own sinlge round clip I posted my Left handed Single round Clip here also...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=20720

Last edited:

T

mailed my order in March, order hit e store 5/5, shipped 6/30/16, received 7/1/16
SA Sept 1944 receiver, TE 4, ME 0+ new CMP walnut stock

Last edited:
what was the barrel date? That's virtually unused!

My last 3 M1s where all low gauge readings including a field grade... either lots of barreled actions from the arsenals or cmp is using up some new old stock barrels on all those receivers?

Any how enjoy and order a few more when they are accepting more orders

My last 3 M1s where all low gauge readings including a field grade... either lots of barreled actions from the arsenals or cmp is using up some new old stock barrels on all those receivers?

Any how enjoy and order a few more when they are accepting more orders

Last 3 ?!?! Jelly
Wish I had the time,ammo, and $ for 3

Back
Top Bottom