First Impressions: Massapoag Sportsmen's Club

As a new shooter, I thought I'd write a little about my first experience with a local shooting club. The first one I visited was Massapoag Sportsmen's Club in Sharon. I read on their website that the trap team shoots on Saturdays and welcomes newcomers, so I headed down around noontime. When I got there, everybody was prepping for the registered skeet shoot the next day. One of the members, Lynn, explained that if I would just hang on while they finished up, they'd get to shooting presently. To speed things up, I lent a hand to load boxes of clays into a couple of the houses.

Once the work was done, I got a tour from a member named Bill. He showed me their three skeet and one trap field, their outdoor and indoor handgun ranges, archery field and the clubhouse. A downside of this club is that they don't have a high powered rifle range. For me at this point, not a big deal but might be eventually.

Afterwards I went and got my shotgun (new Franchi Diamond Elite; half off at Dick's) and commenced shooting a round of skeet with Lynn. Lynn and I were joined by another fairly new shooter, Victor. Being a skeet newbie, I needed lots of instruction, which Lynn gladly gave. He was able to offer several good tips that got me shooting okay for a first-timer by the end of the round. For the second round we were joined by some of the other members there and had a great time. All of the guys were more than helpful with tips on shooting and very patient.

After shooting, we shot the breeze a little and I paid for my rounds and picked up a membership application. All in all, the club members were very welcoming and helpful, and I'd probably go back.

Back
Top Bottom