First AR

So I am currently in the market to pick up a AR-15. I have been given a bunch of advice on what to buy but have come to a crossroads. One person suggested getting a rifle chambered in 5.45x39 because the ammo is so cheap. Another suggested getting a 5.56 gas piston.

I was looking at the S&W M&P15R (5.45) and the Stag Model 8 (gas piston)

Is there a rifle that will do both? Should I stay away from the 5.45 because of the corrosive nature? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just built my first AR. The price is comparable to a low price AR and since I made it, I know how everything fits together and works. I actually enjoyed the project.

My free advice, for what it's worth:

Buy (or build) an inexpensive used "plain jane" AR in 5.56 and use the money that you save on silly piston kits and tacti-cool farkles to buy a bunch of ammo and go shooting.

I'd also say start with a gun in 5.56. Stag is an excellent choice. Then if you feel the need to shoot something else like 5.45 you can simply buy a new upper and magazines for it but use the same lower.

Is it usually cheaper to build one? What is needed?

You can spend about the same money whether you buy a complete rifle or build one. It's all about the parts that you put in to it that ultimately determines the cost. If you really look around though you can probably build one very cheap and get good parts especially if you don't mind buying lightly used parts.

I'd recommend building one as well. You will need a couple tools, which I'm sure you can borrow from members here (that's what I did), but if you buy them you'll end up building another down the road, I promise.

I'd stay away from the gas piston setups. The gas system they are currently running works fine and is much more proven than these piston "modifications" to the AR platform. Additionally, the pistons cost 3-4 hundred you could spend on countless other better upgrades. Yes you will be cleaning your bolt a little more, but you can run thousands of rounds through it without cleaning and without trouble. The heat issue is also not really

Mike

go with a 5.56 and forget the GAS piston, you won't need it for the type shooting you're gonna do.

5.56 is cheap if you buy in bulk. The gas piston will save you some clean up time if you're shooting FA and about a 1000 rounds a day.

Last edited:
M&P15

Hi,

I decided against building because I have 0 experience, instead I bought a M&P15 (bare bones model, ORC) It is a great rifle, I am very happy with it. It is chambered in 5.56, but wil take .223 as well, chrome lined barrel, etc

I end up putting 2x initial price in accessories and optics in it, very happy with the way things worked out

Please contact Remsport in Ludlow MA. We have all parts and can also build you a custom gun for around the same as an off the shelf gun. We are local and in MA. and manufacture most of our own AR parts.
Please call for information about what we can offer you before you make your purchase.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

I bought a Stag from Riley's. I shoot leftie and they have a good rapport with their Stag dealer. Got it in a couple of weeks. Very nice rifle.

Back
Top Bottom